News Forum - Move forward, step back: Thailand’s election winner yields to Pheu Thai Party to form govt

Thaiger

Thailand’s General Election winner, the Move Forward Party (MFP), and its leader, Pita Limjaroenrat, have agreed to step back and make way for the Pheu Thai Party to lead the coalition parties and form a government. The MFP Permanent Secretary, Chaitawat Tulathon, today, July 21, revealed the party’s struggles over the past two months during … …

The story Move forward, step back: Thailand’s election winner yields to Pheu Thai Party to form govt as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sad rotten state of affairs. They complain about being picked on, but they are the ones who pulled the division trigger a long time ago and intially started the attack on Thanathorn and party. Time for them to be ostracized by the country and put out to pasture living a non existent life. No one loves them. Hypocritical false fatheads..

• Like 2

Furthermore, the Senate dared to vote against the will of the people, subverted democracy and crashed the constitution 

Anywhere else that would be bordering on treason.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, palooka said:

and crashed the constitution 

Not so.  They followed the rules of the Military inspired constitution precisely. 

• Like 2

Once again democracy does not happen in Thailand. The military still pulling all the strings. Elections in Thailand are nothing but a sham as if the 'right' people do not win the elite just manipulate them away!

• Like 2

VERY VERY SAD

as a foreigner i can only appeal to leave Thailand ,

and not come back and not support this with 1 more THB

thats what i am going to do

Call me cynical but I see this at PT's plan all along - Give the Move Forward people enough space and rope to hang themselves and then step in as the good guys who tried to help, meanwhile conspiring with the greedy senators to back PT in return for the senators keeping their patronage positions.  PT gets in, bungles things for a year and the military can come back for another 10 years.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PATRIQUE said:

VERY VERY SAD

as a foreigner i can only appeal to leave Thailand ,

and not come back and not support this with 1 more THB

thats what i am going to do

Little drastic isn’t it? 

• Like 2

PT are in an invidious position. Do they remain in the eight party coalition hoping to bring another couple of party’s into fold and hope the can convince enough senators to get them over the line? A strategy that will appease their voter base but may fail to attract sufficient support from the senate.

Or do they dissolve the current coalition and sidle up with very forces that orchestrated their demise more than once in the past but ensure a supportive senate? A strategy that will alienate their voter base and may ultimately consign them to the political scrap heap. 

There’ll be some soul searching going on in the next round of internal meetings of the party membership no doubt. Plays well into the uncle’s masterful strategy of divide and conquer too. When it comes to political chicanery these guys are unrivalled.

15 hours ago, Vigo said:

Call me cynical but I see this at PT's plan all along

I think - hope - your crystal ball or conspiracy theory database is flawed. If PT can charm enough senators out of their corruption rut for long enough to get a Prime Minister elected by mumbling about leaving Section 112 alone, THAT should be the focus.

Once in, sweetheart deals with MFP for cabinet positions are obviously going to be high on the order of business and I sincerely hope that this is done in the interests of the entire nation, not just a select few. Of course, I look forward. impatiently, to the day they put their heads together and rewrite the Constitution to oust the 'appointed' senators and make changes that will actually move the country forward. 

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Little drastic isn’t it? 

Indeed so. Its not his country, so why get bent out of shape about something that is nothing much to do with we expats, if indeed he is an expat? I've had a fairly good deal from the previous government,   including free covid vaccinations, something my useless Embassy couldn't arrange, so I have no dog in this fight. Its up to the Thalis to figure it out, something they have never managed to do in the 300 odd years since the creation  of the modern State of Siam, in 1792. 

17 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

PT are in an invidious position. Do they remain in the eight party coalition hoping to bring another couple of party’s into fold and hope the can convince enough senators to get them over the line? A strategy that will appease their voter base but may fail to attract sufficient support from the senate.

Or do they dissolve the current coalition and sidle up with very forces that orchestrated their demise more than once in the past but ensure a supportive senate? A strategy that will alienate their voter base and may ultimately consign them to the political scrap heap. 

There’ll be some soul searching going on in the next round of internal meetings of the party membership no doubt. Plays well into the uncle’s masterful strategy of divide and conquer too. When it comes to political chicanery these guys are unrivalled.

Yeah you see it on the same lines. When you have control of the military forces and its gear, hard to lose as even the BIB will not attempt to cross over. Has to be a majority huge divide in the forces for them to be tossed out, even though there are quite many of them who do not like the string pullers like the 2 P's tweedle dee and tweedle dum. The thought is old decrepid Toad boy will be the one they side with and Anutin. I really think PT will drop MFP and go any way they can making a pact with the devil in order to get Thaksin back here under immunity. Then this will literally signal their fall from grace and then leaving the MFP to come back even stronger next time. The hand picked 250 regime senators are said to be on their last leg and soon to dissapear as it looks, but even that can reboot. Got to see how the negotiations go but I can see Anutin back in his health spot and then the new just as evil coalition thugs attacking and trying to pick apart MFP before the next 4 years are up because MFP will be a force to reckon with after this. More storm for 4 more years before another push for change.

53 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

I think - hope - your crystal ball or conspiracy theory database is flawed. If PT can charm enough senators out of their corruption rut for long enough to get a Prime Minister elected by mumbling about leaving Section 112 alone, THAT should be the focus.

Once in, sweetheart deals with MFP for cabinet positions are obviously going to be high on the order of business and I sincerely hope that this is done in the interests of the entire nation, not just a select few. Of course, I look forward. impatiently, to the day they put their heads together and rewrite the Constitution to oust the 'appointed' senators and make changes that will actually move the country forward. 

There is one thing not sure how it will pan out, don't most things have to have a certain nod of approval and then posted in the r o y a l G a z e t t e?

• Like 1

There is an old saying in Tamil language..." The apiculturists will never hesitate to lick the smearing honey in his arm when collecting the honey from the honeycomb. All these politicians have been enjoying it all these while. They will do everything to protect their personal interests. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Indeed so. Its not his country, so why get bent out of shape about something that is nothing much to do with we expats, if indeed he is an expat? I've had a fairly good deal from the previous government,   including free covid vaccinations, something my useless Embassy couldn't arrange, so I have no dog in this fight. Its up to the Thalis to figure it out, something they have never managed to do in the 300 odd years since the creation  of the modern State of Siam, in 1792. 

I sort of have a foot or feeling in this since I have a few kids here. Over my decades here have seen quite a few governments, and Thaksin's was not all that when it came to us foreingers. I have said it before here on TT, but it was Thaksin who wa the one who started initiating new rules for us to stay here. So yes, I do get upset same as my family does but would never even consider leaving over such a thing. If I leave it is because I am kicked out because cannot meet their hurdle requirements, that is if the bar gets put up and out too high with even my kids not able to cover daddy. I guess if that comes then I move to Cambodia or Vietnam and become a repeat in and out ongoing tourist here. But I don't see this happening

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I guess if that comes then I move to Cambodia or Vietnam and become a repeat in and out ongoing tourist here. But I don't see this happening

You are most welcome to Malaysia and can settle in Penang Island which is just 2 hrs drive from Thai border

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

You are most welcome to Malaysia and can settle in Penang Island which is just 2 hrs drive from Thai border

Yes I have considered that. I like the feel of Penang as been to there several times. Seems to have something for everyone.

• Like 2

"Yes I have considered that. I like the feel of Penang as been to there several times. Seems to have something for everyone."

I do not know about the residency requirements for Malaysia but recently had some friends leave Malaysia due to changes in the residency requirements. Needs a good long look methinks, not as easy as it once was and the changes were apparently applied retrospectively. These friends had lived in Penang for over 10 years.

• Like 1

My Strong Reasons for Being Here: SAFE HOT CHEAP LIFESTYLE CONVENIENT LADY & SON 

No Interest In: People -Culture -Politics -Law -Religion -Cuisine- Addictions -Extended Family

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

My Strong Reasons for Being Here: SAFE HOT CHEAP LIFESTYLE CONVENIENT LADY & SON 

No Interest In: People -Culture -Politics -Law -Religion -Cuisine- Addictions -Extended Family

You really don't have to stress to us you have no interest in anything cultured

Your posts are self explanatory in that regard.   😀

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChrisS said:

"Yes I have considered that. I like the feel of Penang as been to there several times. Seems to have something for everyone."

I do not know about the residency requirements for Malaysia but recently had some friends leave Malaysia due to changes in the residency requirements. Needs a good long look methinks, not as easy as it once was and the changes were apparently applied retrospectively. These friends had lived in Penang for over 10 years.

It is simple and straight forward. No hidden costs or agents needed. You can apply direct. Please check the link below for further details. 

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main-services/malaysia-my-second-home-mmh2-en/

17 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Yes I did read something a few year back and they certainly did extended the goal posts way too much. Just looking it is still the m o r o n i c same. In my view I would never want to permaently live there as I don't see it as even in my 3rd choice of the wow factor. But as a country on the list of doing regular 3 month visits then jumping to another in this sector is what I would be looking at. They give 1-3 month stay at a time (if you are lucky) and there is also a 3-12month visa you cna apply for but the catch is it seems you must jump the border monthly as just read. My big ones on my list ar Vietnam an Cambodia, even Laos and Philipines with Bali on the radar as I like Bali. My thing would be live on the road so to speak just jumping around to th palces I like and then coming back here and doing the visa extended tango staying with family at my house until have to leave again. I don't ever forsee this happening but that would be my loose paln until I figure it out where the best jumps are and most comfortable for me. Ultimately it is still coming back to home here in CM on bump extended visits that would eb allowed in 1 year every year. It isn't the money problem for me, just if they do something drastic. For me I am pretty ok traveling as that has been my life since in my twenties anyway.

• Like 1