Despite chaos and confusion, hundreds of foreigners vaccinated in “one-off” event

Thaiger

Following a series of last-minute announcements from a number of foreign embassies, over 1 thousand American, Australian, Indian, and New Zealand nationals in Bangkok lined up to be vaccinated on Sunday. According to a Coconuts report, foreign residents queued for up to 4 hours to receive a dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, in what has been described as a “one-off” event. A number of expats who attended spoke to Coconuts and described the event as badly organised and chaotic, but nevertheless, it worked to get hundreds of people their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. According to some people, there […]

The post Despite chaos and confusion, hundreds of foreigners vaccinated in “one-off” event appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

To portray Sunday’s vaccination event as chaotic and confusing seems unfair. There were a lot of people and the process seemed quite orderly even though it took some time to complete. The Thai logistics and medical staff on hand did a good job and were polite and efficient given the numbers they were dealing with. 

• Like 5

I was one of those foreigners who got vaccinated and Coconuts is spreading lies. Although the wait time was long, about 4 hours from start to finish it was completely organized. They also didn't make foreigners with disabilities wait in line. They were brought right up the the front. I commend the work the health care workers did on Sunday. 

• Like 5

I got invite too and glad i could skip it, cause i already got AZ shot last month at MedPark, which took 20 min with no queue and no danger to get infection before vaccination. Just looking at that photo at Siam Cement HQ scared the hell out of me. Happy for all expats who got AZ finally!

• Like 1

i checked the website of the US Embassy for this event within minutes of seeing the announcement. all gone. it made it clear not to show up without a appointment. 

This situation is like buying something and not reading the small print.

It is insanity none of the injections on offer or say that they are effective in any way as it is a trial in it's 3d stage so they do not know the outcome of these injections.

None of the companies can and will not say you will not catch covid after your injection so what are people expecting from the injections.

The makers of the injections will only go as far as to say it may reduce your chances of catching Covid.

Fear is a powerful. Yes their are those who have already life threatening conditions, I understand , and then there are many who are being bullied into having the injection because of travel issues or the fear of exclusion.

Something not right.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Remi said:

It is insanity none of the injections on offer or say that they are effective in any way as it is a trial in it's 3d stage so they do not know the outcome of these injections.

None of the companies can and will not say you will not catch covid after your injection so what are people expecting from the injections.

The makers of the injections will only go as far as to say it may reduce your chances of catching Covid.

Fear is a powerful. Yes their are those who have already life threatening conditions, I understand , and then there are many who are being bullied into having the injection because of travel issues or the fear of exclusion.

Something not right.

Good thing you didn't show up because you would have been turned away. It was only available for people who had not yet received their 1st dose.

4 minutes ago, Remi said:

Something not right.

There is no small print. Taking Tylenol will not guarantee to relive your headache and getting a shot of any vaccine will not prevent anyone from getting infected, it all highly individual, including side-effects and how long this relative protection will last.

But i agree with you, Health authorities had to make this pretty clear for general population.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

I got invite too and glad i could skip it, cause i already got AZ shot last month at MedPark, which took 20 min with no queue and no danger to get infection before vaccination. Just looking at that photo at Siam Cement HQ scared the hell out of me. Happy for all expats who got AZ finally!

Good thing you didn't show up because you would have been turned away. It was only available for people who had not yet received their 1st dose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ldiablo22 said:

Good thing you didn't show up because you would have been turned away. It was only available for people who had not yet received their 1st dose.

it is impossible to know who received first dose and who not, cause there is no computerized system in Thailand to track vaccinations done by private hospitals. My second jab is scheduled for September anyways and i have Moderna booster booked for next year

2 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Taking Tylenol will not guarantee to relive your headache

Not the ones I get on a good nightly drinking session that carries me into the morning playing guitar or the bass into head phones. More like noodle soup, a hot bath (yes I have a bath tub in my home), hydrating and then a movie on the Netflix, Amazon or Disney. .

100 shots of AZ for Americans.  This is the thank you for donating vaccines to Thailand by USA.  Americans are suckers, and Thailand knows it.  

This report is not correct at all. I arrived at 12:30 just prior to the 1pm indicated commencement time. The line-ups were very orderly, the assistance on hand was plentiful, the seating and waiting zones were very ordered, the technology and staffing knowledge was up to the task and very evident and I was out, after a 30 minute, post injection waiting area, again very orderly, within 2 hours. The staff were courteous at all times and overall a very pleasant experience and I am very thankful to the AUS Embassy for their notification on Friday evening and to the staff and facilities, all done free of charge... That was my experience for my 1st injection. Of course there would have been people who had not registered and who just showed who would have been turned away along with those that had already had 1 injection and I'm sure weren't too pleased. 

• Like 1

First time I have posted on any news site but feel compelled to add my view that the vaccine process, though lengthy, was well organized and the staff very professional and courteous.
There a lot of Thais who do not yet have access to vaccines so feel very grateful and a bit embarrassed to have got my first AZ jab. Many thanks to the staff , awesome. 
cheers fitz 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziobobbo said:

To portray Sunday’s vaccination event as chaotic and confusing seems unfair. There were a lot of people and the process seemed quite orderly even though it took some time to complete. The Thai logistics and medical staff on hand did a good job and were polite and efficient given the numbers they were dealing with. 

2 hours ago, Ldiablo22 said:

I was one of those foreigners who got vaccinated and Coconuts is spreading lies. Although the wait time was long, about 4 hours from start to finish it was completely organized. They also didn't make foreigners with disabilities wait in line. They were brought right up the the front. I commend the work the health care workers did on Sunday. 

58 minutes ago, AUSSCOTT said:

This report is not correct at all. I arrived at 12:30 just prior to the 1pm indicated commencement time. The line-ups were very orderly, the assistance on hand was plentiful, the seating and waiting zones were very ordered, the technology and staffing knowledge was up to the task and very evident and I was out, after a 30 minute, post injection waiting area, again very orderly, within 2 hours. The staff were courteous at all times and overall a very pleasant experience and I am very thankful to the AUS Embassy for their notification on Friday evening and to the staff and facilities, all done free of charge... That was my experience for my 1st injection. Of course there would have been people who had not registered and who just showed who would have been turned away along with those that had already had 1 injection and I'm sure weren't too pleased. 

25 minutes ago, K1W1 said:

First time I have posted on any news site but feel compelled to add my view that the vaccine process, though lengthy, was well organized and the staff very professional and courteous.
There a lot of Thais who do not yet have access to vaccines so feel very grateful and a bit embarrassed to have got my first AZ jab. Many thanks to the staff , awesome. 
cheers fitz 

Makes you wonder what other anti government media is being pushed

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ziobobbo said:

I agree. It was a wait, but at the end of it a great weight was lifted. Being Canadian I'm glad we were included ( Richard Barrow thanks for the post) in the one off

• Like 1

My Australian friend was advised by his embassy Saturday evening and told to report to BKK Sunday.  Up here in Isaan that is an impossible condition to require as it is easily 6 hours just to drive to BKK from here.  Last minute announcement may as well be 'last second' for us. 

• Like 3

Hundreds...out of the estimated 3,000,000 foreigners that live in the country.

Don't let the Thais break their arms patting themselves on the back.

It's disgraceful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Remi said:

Something not right.

Most are easy to suggestions. Repeated loud and often enough, all becomes true and real. 

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Don't let the Thais break their arms patting themselves on the back.

It's disgraceful.

Why would "the Thais" be patting themselves on the back for this insulting token effort?

It's the British, Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Austrians, Belgians and Kiwis  who are responsible for this particular bit of stupidity.

All "the Thais" did was administer the charade, and apparently take a few hundred doses away from those who actually needed them - the old and vulnerable in Bangkok and the worst-hit provinces - and administer them instead to some entitled farangs in Bangkok who jumped the queue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K1W1 said:

Thank God someone at least has the grace and honesty to recognize reality.

While I'm sure that had I been in Bangkok I would have also taken advantage of the giveaway, that doesn't excuse the reality that these vaccines were taken out of a programme that is finally giving vaccinations to the old and the vulnerable in the worst hit areas, regardless of whether they're Thais or farangs,  and many were instead given to entitled farangs who were unjustifiably allowed and encouraged to jump the queue.

As a result it's inevitable that some of those who needed those vaccinations more badly, and won't now get them until later, will die - possibly including the countrymen of those who got their shots early instead.

There's nothing for anyone to be proud of here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dj230 said:

Makes you wonder what other anti government media is being pushed

It's not even "anti government" - just anti-Thai, designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

11 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's not even "anti government" - just anti-Thai, designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Why do you consider this news piece to be 'anti-Thai'? All it has done is to present the facts re this 'one-off' vaccination event, regardless of how well those facts might sit with your sensibilities. It's merely a news report . . . just leave it at that!

I beg to differ that the event was "badly organized". On the contrary, I felt that the people working the venue were professional and very helpful. The registration process took about 2 and a half hours due to the number of people in attendance, but once registration was completed, followed by a quick medical screening, the wait for the injection was very short and the people were rapidly taken in for inoculation. All-in-all, this was handled very well on the ground. 

• Like 2