News Forum - Phuket nightclubs raided for late trading, serving alcohol to minors

Thaiger

Two Phuket nightclubs in the Kathu district have been raided by officials from the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) and the Volunteer Defense Corps (OrSor). The clubs, the Ratree Club and Mahanakorn Phuket were accused of late trading, public disturbance, serving alcohol to minors, and operating without proper permits. The raids were carried out early this morning … …

The story Phuket nightclubs raided for late trading, serving alcohol to minors as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oh, that ....

• Allow people under the age of 20 to enter the venue.
  • Sell alcohol to people under the age of 20.
  • Operate entertainment venues during restricted hours.
  • Sell alcohol during restricted hours.
  • Allow people who possess weapons, explosives, and drugs to enter the premises.
  • Allow human trafficking on the premises.
  • Allow gambling on the premises.
  • Are located near schools or education premises.

.. was NOT the "how to operate a nightclub on Phuket" manifesto?

Interesting!

I think, I know more clubs (in Phuket), that are working down these list, except the last point perhaps, as I know clubs, who close in time, check always id cards, have no weapons (the bouncers), ....!

So are they closing today all of them?  Or only the few, that don`t use manila envelopes (regulary)?

54 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Oh, that ....

• Allow people under the age of 20 to enter the venue.
  • Sell alcohol to people under the age of 20.
  • Operate entertainment venues during restricted hours.
  • Sell alcohol during restricted hours.
  • Allow people who possess weapons, explosives, and drugs to enter the premises.
  • Allow human trafficking on the premises.
  • Allow gambling on the premises.
  • Are located near schools or education premises.

.. was NOT the "how to operate a nightclub on Phuket" manifesto?

Interesting!

I think, I know more clubs (in Phuket), that are working down these list, except the last point perhaps, as I know clubs, who close in time, check always id cards, have no weapons (the bouncers), ....!

So are they closing today all of them?  Or only the few, that don`t use manila envelopes (regulary)?

I don't think you will find tourists in those nightclubs in Kathu. Maybe an expat living in the vicinity. This is a Thai neighbourhood, not on the seaside over the mountain. You pass it driving from the traffic lights near Kathu night market to Lotuss.

• Like 1

Why the hell are they still enforcing the wet blanket 2am rule? This is not about Covid anymore. What justification is there to close nightlife early? This is hurting tourism and hurting everyone who wants to party late. It sure seems like the only reason this rule exists is so police can get paid to look the other way, which would be ok if they actually did - but every once in a while they pretend to enforce this stupid rule for a week or two sending the entire Bangkok nightlife scene into chaos.

New government? great! End this ridiculous 2am rule and the corruption it breeds.

P.S. While you're at it - enforce the ban on shisha and E-ciggs - you can't walk a meter in most venues without someone blowing smoke/vapor in your face - these things cause cancer and a host of other health risks and should not be allowed indoors!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinga said:

Why the hell are they still enforcing the wet blanket 2am rule? This is not about Covid anymore. What justification is there to close nightlife early? This is hurting tourism and hurting everyone who wants to party late. It sure seems like the only reason this rule exists is so police can get paid to look the other way, which would be ok if they actually did - but every once in a while they pretend to enforce this stupid rule for a week or two sending the entire Bangkok nightlife scene into chaos.

New government? great! End this ridiculous 2am rule and the corruption it breeds.

P.S. While you're at it - enforce the ban on shisha and E-ciggs - you can't walk a meter in most venues without someone blowing smoke/vapor in your face - these things cause cancer and a host of other health risks and should not be allowed indoors!

2am "closing" doesn't hurt tourism one bit

The small segment(younger crowd) that want to stay out until 4-6am know exactly where to go or find it very easy

Thailand is well known for it's "after hours" and very much part of it's appeal to younger crowds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinga said:

It is not hurting tourism. Someone that needs to drink until 4 AM isn't going to be spending on "tourism". Closing @ 2AM is more than enough time. 

16 minutes ago, Vigo said:

It is not hurting tourism. Someone that needs to drink until 4 AM isn't going to be spending on "tourism". Closing @ 2AM is more than enough time. 

I don't understand this statement?

Plenty of tourists spending money at discos opened til 4-5-6am

5 hours ago, Alavan said:

I don't think you will find tourists in those nightclubs in Kathu. Maybe an expat living in the vicinity. This is a Thai neighbourhood, not on the seaside over the mountain. You pass it driving from the traffic lights near Kathu night market to Lotuss.

I know. Which is part of my thoughts. The "farang owned" places use fuller manilas, methinks

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

And starting spending money later in day time. If at all, before the next night starts

;-)

4 hours ago, Vigo said:

Complete nonsense. Tourists and expats who party hard spend thousands of baht a night on bottles, tips, girl drinks, etc. The longer they stay, the more they spend. Arbitrarily closing at 2am is killing the fun AND killing nightlife profits.

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

2am "closing" doesn't hurt tourism one bit

I personally know people who used to come to Thailand multiple times a year when closing times in Bangkok clubs were 5-6am. Now that it is 2am some stopped coming at all, and some reduced their frequency and length of their stays. Between 2am closing time for clubs and random no booze days, Bangkok is not as fun as it used to be.

Not only that- some venues who are well connected and/or pay do open later, but they are usually small, an extreme fire hazard, and full of second hand smoke. Instead of risking our lives and hurting our health in such venues - why not just allow normal clubs to open later?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Complete nonsense. Tourists and expats who party hard spend thousands of baht a night on bottles, tips, girl drinks, etc. The longer they stay, the more they spend. Arbitrarily closing at 2am is killing the fun AND killing nightlife profits.

I personally know people who used to come to Thailand multiple times a year when closing times in Bangkok clubs were 5-6am. Now that it is 2am some stopped coming at all, and some reduced their frequency and length of their stays. Between 2am closing time for clubs and random no booze days, Bangkok is not as fun as it used to be.

Not only that- some venues who are well connected and/or pay do open later, but they are usually small, an extreme fire hazard, and full of second hand smoke. Instead of risking our lives and hurting our health in such venues - why not just allow normal clubs to open later?

I was in BKK in Chiang Mai in June 2022(at the tail end of test &go) and Feb 2023

Still plenty of places opened until 5-6am

I am for later legal closing time

I am from Boston but lived in NYC for 11 years

Boston is strict 2am close and there are all kinds of fights and no taxis with everyone leaving at the same time

NYC 5-6am and people leave at all different times so you don't get that

And I agree with you about BKK, I have been in some shady places that would go up in flames

Make it legal and safer......

But I still don't think it has much affect on tourism

All these young kids coming, they are staying out as late as they want

23 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The customers are there because the bars are open, and the numbers are not that large. The reality is that instead of nursing a few bottles starting at 11, they can start at 9 or 10 pm.   There is a labour shortage.Give workers a chance to rest.

Revenues don't increase because the operating hours continue until 4, 5 or 6 am. 

13 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The customers are there because the bars are open, and the numbers are not that large. The reality is that instead of nursing a few bottles starting at 11, they can start at 9 or 10 pm.   There is a labour shortage.Give workers a chance to rest.

Revenues don't increase because the operating hours continue until 4, 5 or 6 am. 

Doesn't sound like you been to the clubs I have been to until 4-6am  :)

In 20 years of coming to Thailand I have been to 100's of clubs/discos that were packed with people spending a ton of money

And I am still highly confused on your comment that someone that stays out later isn't spending on tourism. That doesn't make sense

A massive % of the people at this discos are tourists

They are spending money everywhere

Hotels, bars, restaurants