News Forum - Future Thailand PM at odds with cannabis sellers and government over drug law reform

Thaiger

Cannabis sellers and several governmental departments have clashed with future Prime Minister, Pita Limcharoenrat, and his Move Forward Party (MFP) over the reclassification of cannabis and the reversal of the drug laws. The sellers are demanding clear clarification from the concerned departments on this issue. On Monday, May 22, the MFP, led by Pita, and … …

The story Future Thailand PM at odds with cannabis sellers and government over drug law reform as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

50 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Addiction to cannabis is harder than addiction to alcohol and cigarettes.

The cannabis advocates will need to come up with a better argument than marijuana is addictive and hard to quit…. 

Some patients rely on cannabis without a doctor’s prescription. 

Wonder how they got by a year ago.😪

Think the Ex-health minister never heard that argument in the lead up to legalisation.🙄

52 minutes ago, palooka said:

That is just patently false(I know no your quote @palooka )

Alcohol addiction is the only addiction where you can die from the withdrawal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Some patients rely on cannabis without a doctor’s prescription. 

Wonder how they got by a year ago.😪

Think the Ex-health minister never heard that argument in the lead up to legalisation.🙄

I think that is probably misleadingly put - I think that what they actually mean is that the type of addiction found with alcohol or nicotine is not really there with weed. I am in favour of legalisation, but do think that some controls need to be put in place, which doesn't seem to have happened in Thailand. 

• Like 2

The issue here is that the  introduction of cannabis to Thailand and the  application of new regulations has been a mess. The original intent was to decriminalize and to offer some health and safety regulations and to control the product's abuse. The MFP is proposing to reset the  "clock" and to fix the mess the  government created.

9 hours ago, Vigo said:

The issue here is that the  introduction of cannabis to Thailand and the  application of new regulations has been a mess. The original intent was to decriminalize and to offer some health and safety regulations and to control the product's abuse. The MFP is proposing to reset the  "clock" and to fix the mess the  government created.

I agree with this approach.

Decriminalization should remain but it needs to be legislated and managed in a more controlled manner.

• Like 1