Traditional Thai medicine “Fah Talai Jone” gains steam as a treatment, despite shaky scientific merit

Thaiger

A well known traditional Thai medicine is gaining steam as a potential treatment for Covid despite its dubious scientific merit. Fah Talai Jone, or andrographis paniculata, has been used to treat a number of different illnesses, including the flu, a sore throat, and inflammation. Now, the herb is also being used to treat mild Covid systems in “green level” patients, provided they are not pregnant or breastfeeding. Or have any underlying diseases. To take the Fah Talai Jone, 3 capsules are taken after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each capsule has 60 milligrams of Andrographolide. This is thought to help fight Covid. […]

The post Traditional Thai medicine “Fah Talai Jone” gains steam as a treatment, despite shaky scientific merit appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Funk me, I'm leaving. Get the FUNKY vaccines and stop using shamans, fahtalaj jojos, but most importantly if I get sick please don't send me the happiness-sharing cabinets. 

• Haha 2

Open letter:

Dear Rick. It looks like I'm lost and stuck in a dimension where everyone is stupid and they think they can cure desises by sending go-go dancers and shamans to cheer up infected people. Please help me get back to Dimension C-137.

Morty

• Haha 1

So they are trying it only in people with mild symptoms that are going to recover anyway.. wow that's a great scientific way to prove it works.. and a way to boost sales !  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

I have taken Fah Talai Jone in the past for coughs. That was until I understood the potential impact it may have on my underlining medical conditions. My wife and mother-in-law swear by its qualities!

But we must be careful that Fah Talai Jone does not fall into the same categories as previous traditional or herbal style remedies in Pandemics. The value of different types of medicine in the past has been overplayed and overstated by charlatans. Equally though, at times it has been understated and under promoted because it has been inadvertently linked to the behaviours of charlatans.

Over history, past headlines have described various potions etc, as “A universal remedy for the plague.” “The only true plague water.” “The royal antidote against all kinds of infection”. Personally, I feel Fah Talai Jone and other widely used traditional and herbal medicines of today, don’t come under such headlines. However, the common thing they all lack is proper clinical trials to determine their true value.

The power Fah Talai Jone to help minor conditions, has a strong belief amongst the Thais in my rural area. However, the seemingly only hospital study so far on 6 patients (Thaiger), seems to indicate that whilst it can help relieve minor effects of the virus, it does not kill the virus, nor protect you spreading the virus to others. So as a treatment item, it may have some value. More clinical tests to understand and state the value are needed to support its use.

To live with Covid-19, I feel we need a combined strategy of vaccines to help reduce the spread and proven medical treatments to aid those unfortunate to catch it. This may include both Fah Talai Jone and Ivermetin. All must have continued proper, scientific clinical tests to support their value and an open, proper means of educating the whole public as to their use.

Otherwise, are we not just like the charlatans and snake medicine sellers of the past?

11 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

So they are trying it only in people with mild symptoms that are going to recover anyway.. wow that's a great scientific way to prove it works.. and a way to boost sales !  

Exactly. :) You will get the same results with placebo.

“Since December 2020, we have given Fah Talai Jone to 304 Covid-19 patients with non-severe symptoms. Most of the patients responded to the herb immediately and their condition actually improved in five days. The medication also did not have any adverse effects,” she explained.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Albert Einstein

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A well known traditional medicine is gaining steam as a potential treatment for Covid

Beer, wine and Spirits ……. Very dubious on scientific merit, some swear by it though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Beer, wine and Spirits ……. Very dubious on scientific merit, some swear by it though.

You left out RocknRoll

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

A recent study supports the antiviral activity of Andrographis paniculata against SARS-CoV-2:

"The percentage of SARS-CoV-2 inhibition for ATRI-COV-E4 [Andrographis paniculata] was better than Remdesivir."

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.09.07.459230

"Conclusion: The study demonstrated the Anti-SARS-CoV-2 activity in vitro and safety of plant extracts in both in vitro and in vivo experimental conditions."

In silico, In vitro Screening of Plant Extracts for Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Activity and Evaluation of Their Acute and Sub-Acute Toxicity (Preprint). Damle et al. 2021.

Edited by Andrew Reeve
Link added

On 7/18/2021 at 4:55 AM, Thaiger said:

A well known traditional Thai medicine is gaining steam as a potential treatment for Covid despite its dubious scientific merit. Fah Talai Jone, or andrographis paniculata, has been used to treat a number of different illnesses, including the flu, a sore throat, and inflammation. Now, the herb is also being used to treat mild Covid systems in “green level” patients, provided they are not pregnant or breastfeeding. Or have any underlying diseases. To take the Fah Talai Jone, 3 capsules are taken after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each capsule has 60 milligrams of Andrographolide. This is thought to help fight Covid. […]

The post Traditional Thai medicine “Fah Talai Jone” gains steam as a treatment, despite shaky scientific merit appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

>Off topic remark removed<

And I'll provide another study about it:

<link removed>

"In conclusion, this study provided experimental evidence in favor of A. paniculata and andrographolide for further development as a monotherapy or in combination with other effective drugs against SARS-CoV-2 infection."

Edited by Faz
link removed

30 minutes ago, Alberto said:

I provided the link and title of the study to search for it in case the link didn't show up (which apparently is what happened). 

From the site you quoted.
What is an unrefereed preprint?

Before formal publication in a scholarly journal, scientific and medical articles are traditionally “peer reviewed.” In this process, the journal’s editors take advice from various experts—called “referees”—who have assessed the paper and may identify weaknesses in its assumptions, methods, and conclusions. Typically a journal will only publish an article once the editors are satisfied that the authors have addressed referees’ concerns.

Because this process can be lengthy, authors use the bioRxiv service to make their manuscripts available as “preprints” before completing peer review and consequent certification by a journal. This allows other scientists to see, discuss, and comment on the findings immediately. Readers should therefore be aware that articles on bioRxiv have not been finalized by authors, might contain errors, and report information that has not yet been accepted or endorsed in any way by the scientific or medical community.

This is not evidence of anything and could yet be classed as misinformation when peer reviewed.

23 minutes ago, Faz said:

From the site you quoted.
What is an unrefereed preprint?

[...]

This is not evidence of anything and could yet be classed as misinformation when peer reviewed.

It is a preprint (I guess I stated that in the original post), like 95% of all the scientific literature related to Covid-19. Peer-review is not going to change the results. But you can wait for it to be published someday, if you prefer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Faz said:

Whilst we can verify the site, we cannot verify the content has  been approved and is factual as it's is no more than a study yet to be proved. 

Read our forum Guidelines: 
https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

The other one is formally published, peer-reviewed, and you removed the link? So what is the policy? I have to give a link to a study or I have to not give it? There are more published studies for anyone who wants to look for them. Not sure what anyone could have against some substance of natural origin that has antiviral activity, like so many others.