Couple hangs themselves to escape Covid-19 debt

Thaiger

40 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

I totally support your view regarding the loan shark parasites that prey on poor people, but don't these people realise YOU CAN'T BORROW YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT, It just increases as the outrageous rates of interest, get loaded on to the outstanding debt. Never borrow money to buy anything you don't really need and, can't afford, 'Face' seems to be the reason behind much of this foolish borrowing, sad but true.

Sadly thai's don't see it like we do,borrowing and credit are a way of life in thailand 

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

Sadly thai's don't see it like we do,borrowing and credit are a way of life in thailand 

Most western economies survive on credit. There is the great myth of how important it is for you to have good credit. It is far more important for industry that you have good credit. They don't want to wait years for you save up to buy something you don't necessarily need that they want you to buy now. Consequently, they arrange for third parties to lend you money so that they can boost their profits while you end up in debt bondage to the lender. 

It is important to them, and not to you, that you have good credit.

If anyone doubts me, consider what happened in 2008 when credit was suddenly switched off world wide.

Edited by JohninDubin
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Most western economies survive on credit. There is the great myth of how important it is for you to have good credit. It is far more important for industry that you have good credit. They don't want to wait years for you save up to buy something you don't necessarily need that they want you to buy now. Consequently, they arrange for third parties to lend you money so that they can boost their profits while you end up in debt bondage to the lender. 

It is important to them, and not to you, that you have good credit.

If anyone doubts me, consider what happened in 2008 when credit was suddenly switched off world wide.

How many of us have hear'd the old Bar girl gets a new bike on credit 1-2 payments the bike is repossessed. Week later she's on another new bike. Some members on here still think Thais should think like westerners, if they don't have money and a shark come's knocking offering them 2k but they say can give now but you pay back 5k what you think there going to say.

How very sad,is the government not helping these people, 

I know many ,farangs are helping the poor with food in bkk and other areas 

14 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

We are all human and born the same

Sorry, but we're not all "born the same".

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

In CM it is well know in the gossip that an old late 60-ish ++ Thai woman who rides an electric 3 wheeled scooter is a loan shark. You see here tooling around specific areas on the collection. I would hope she isn't the guido gal that sends strong armed thugs who don't pay her after, but you never know. One thing is though, she has a mouth on her.

It would seem, in this situation, a couple of the folks on the hook, could probably handle their debts in another fashion quite easily. ?

20 hours ago, gummy said:

Have you thought of joining the Samaritans in Thailand ? you seem to have all the right attributes ?

I deal in reality and self sufficiency and explains why i have zero debts, so the death is the answer now??

20 hours ago, JamesE said:

But what do you do when none of those are viable options. This is not a rural area, so farming isn't an option. The economic downturn is particularly rough in the tourist areas so who would they sell one of their food carts to? What if they believed all the promises that things were going to get better? Maybe the loan sharks were the last option to allow them to eat.

None of us knows the particulars of their situation but many people don't have the advantage of understanding how the system works. And many of us don't know how bad it can get when you run out of options.

So go easy on these people. There are people who will make it through this mess and some who won't. A little sympathy for those who decide they won't is in order.

So who gets the debt now? So what if everyone did this when taking a loan? Do you think the sharks will let this debt slide or find family that these 2 left the burden of debt, and loss, and picking up the pieces.....

20 hours ago, Faraday said:

Yes, you may well make 'good' choices, which are based on knowledge, experience & assessing the risk or possible outcomes.

This poor couple seemingly didn't have enough of these skills.

We all make mistakes, & sadly they made bad ones, which led them to their suicide.

Try having some compassion.

I have compassion for the living, as in their family that now have to pick up the pieces, and debt???

Suicide fixes nothing and makes it worse for others, its them I offer the compassion...

Death is easy, in some religions considered a sin, and is selfish for remaining family...

So i was fooilsh to take a debt I knew I couldnt pay, so I will end my life and let others clean it up

19 hours ago, stuhan said:

I apologize ,i should have stated choice of borrowing money not suicide 

people are responsible for their actions and choices, I can only control my actions and try to do good deeds, I cant control the world, the weather, or the actions of other people...its called choice and freewill.....

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you live in a far different world than others, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Poor desperate people, yet you make light of it, other solutions, wake up, some desperate people see no other solution than borrowing from loan sharks, you must live in a money galore world oblivious to what is going on around.

Please copy and paste where I am making "light " of someones death......I can confirm my words relate to personal responsibility of adults...So which one of you is visiting the funeral, paying for it, and also the DEBT

• Angry 1

18 hours ago, Faraday said:

Alright then, list the options which are practical, realistic & achievable for people such as these in Thailand.

I doubt you are able.

go read any and all of my posts on this thread as I have already done so....I dont see anyone else offering any

• Angry 1

15 hours ago, vlad said:

The Solution ? this isn't the Western World where you will never go Hungry if you don't make money you rel'y on handouts for a bag of rice or you starve. Maybe the Thai Government should be helping out people like these two, who would at least not need to go to loan sharks. They would rather Cow-Tow to the Chinese and spend billions on Submarines that are not needed, and a few Tanks that i suspect will be needed when the locals hit the Streets. A double whammy the Chinese causing Thailand pain and misery, and then selling Tanks to suppress them. All under the watch of the PM.

Dont kill the messenger, everyone is jumping on me, who would have offered to help and offer ideas to these two before they chose a final "solution"...but alas you have already labeled me the bad guy, thats fine...

Still waiting for anyone to give their options and WHO know pays for this debt, as in family....

Whos the first to open a GoFundME to save these folks and pay that debt I doubt will go away....??? Anyone?

Preach your false outrage and shake your finger at me, I dont offer loans, nor do I take them.

Ignorance is bliss and so whos know going village to village to preach the dangers of loan sharks???

Actions speak louder than words......dont any of you fall off of your soapboxes....prepare the gallows...

• Angry 1

13 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I've never really been a fan of the attitude of "If I can do it why can't they". I used to hear it a lot from my sister, who in all fairness, has done pretty well for herself. 

I got fed up with hearing this. I have an aptitude for mental arithmetic. When I heard her make the comment once too often for my liking, I asked her what 73X47 equalled and she wasn't allowed to use a calculator. She didn't have a clue. I then said to her, "Well if I can do it, why can't you"? That introduced a bit of humility into the convo. 

My point being that there are a many reasons why some cannot emulate others, and that does not necessarily give us a right to look down upon them. 

Taking an extreme analogy to look at this case, a woman might have all the perfect attributes to sell her body, but if her clientele have no money, she is still going to starve. Here we have a couple who have probably worked all their lives just to survive, and though there might have still  have skills, they had no clientele to pay for them. They went to the only source that could give them the necessary cash to survive. When this failed, they were left facing possible unending persecution from this source.

It's a tragic story, but I doubt if I would ever be able to walk a mile in their shoes.

And I have walked a mile, all my life. i reason I live in LOS is cos I live below the poverty line in my home country, so ive had to learn to survive on my own with no help, I do not live a life of glamour or support some of you seem to think, and I had even contemplated ending my own life and realized how selfish that would be, as my mother passed and I had to empty her house, sell it, deal with years of paperwork and the like, seeing how if I ended my life how I would dump my life into my families lap to have to "clean it all up".

So my compassion is for the family, death is easy and final and selfish..So is the debt now gone??? I doubt it

12 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

It seems to me that you are making the assumption that they were capable of doing all this. Here's a question for you, you have no money for food today and no prospect of being able to raise some for the foreseeable future. How long before your rice crop comes in? Where do you get the money to rent the necessary land and buy seed? Where do you get the money to buy and feed the chickens? What are the chances you are  not already living in the most humble and modest of hovels?

I move out of my "rented house" as per the article, i sell one of the 2 vendor carts, knowing I make not get much but is survival mode. I sell things in rented house. I seek help from friends, family or even loyal customers as I explain my situation and what I feel my final option is. I look for a need thais may have during this pandemic and try to fill that need. Old people cant get around , maybe help them in exchange for housing. Im sure they had phones, no thai goes without one, seek help on FB, ask around thru said friends-family-customers, someone must know someone with a room and board in a barter deal for doing laundry-cooking-cleaning?..recycle as I see thais do at night collecting plastic and glass bottles as they have a cart and likely a motobike to get it around, or do it on foot. that would buy me some eggs, or sticky rice or vegetables, beans, all of which are cheap..I even bought discounted ones in LOS that would as they were expiring but I simply ate the same day...no one would help them at a temple? tons of those around,,thais eagerly give to the monks, why wouldnt they help another thai they often refer to as brother and sister???.  There is plently of rice available as Ive paid 10 baht for huge bag of sticky rice...who has money to raise chickens? maybe find someone to does and there is always extra eggs as ive raised them myself, where I bartered a room on a farm for caring for the land and animals in exchange for room n board...there are even websites that do it all over the worked that Ive used as could they, and plenty in LOS where they could get room n board for working on a farm....how much land does one need to plant seeds to grow veg and a chicken or two??

You seems to be planning acres of rice or raising animals, im talking about 2 ppl getting by and surviving....

So will there be others like this?  Are you all getting in buses to go to each village and teach the thais???

Give a man a fish he eats for today, teach a man to fish and he never goes hungry.....

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but we're not all "born the same".

How so?  We are not all born human with freewill? Motivation? Desire? Want? Needs? Brains? Bodies?

No worries mates! No personal responsibility to ourselves or others, lets all just do what we want and when the going gets tough, we off ourselves in a final FU gesture, leaving the rest of us to clean up the mess. yay.

Reminds me of the current covid disater and those that get the vaccine are still cleaning up the non vax mess

As per the article..im sure they or someone they knew had a phone....choices...freewill...choose Life.

If you or anyone you know is in emotional distress, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand 24-hour hotline: 02 713 6791 (English), 02 713 6793 (Thai) or the Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai)

• Angry 1

These people do fall prey to loan sharks.  I don't understand how either.  It happens a lot.  Then when you are late on payments the amount owing doubles.  One can never escape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

reason I live in LOS

I really doubt you do live here.

Wish I could remember your tvf name; it'll come to me later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PapayaBokBok said:

So who gets the debt now? So what if everyone did this when taking a loan? Do you think the sharks will let this debt slide or find family that these 2 left the burden of debt, and loss, and picking up the pieces.....

Most members on here came to get away from your kind  loonies on the other forum, sadly we have 1 on here, yoiu.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

There is plently of rice available as Ive paid 10 baht for huge bag of sticky rice.

Sure mate, course you have.

You're trolling. Go, away!

• Like 3

Death is easy,

Have you tried it; how would you know?

Stop, trolling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I really doubt you do live here.

Wish I could remember your tvf name; it'll come to me later.

Does tvf come to live here?  Good luck moderators.  

people are responsible for their actions and choices, I can only control my actions and try to do good deeds, I cant control the world, the weather, or the actions of other people...its called choice and freewill.....

You have a sad outlook on life,hope you never find yourself in their position one day ,but of course you won't because you have actions  and choices i forgot that.

• Like 2