Thaiger Talk Quiz #170 - X Marks the Spot in Thailand

BigHewer

On 5/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, BigHewer said:

'Big Tree' is estimated to be between 50 and 64 metres tall, depending on the source. Whichever it is, the 'Udon Tree' is nowhere near that height.

Can't do a trig calculation from the photo, but there is enough information to make an estimate of the height of that tree.

1. Directly behind the tree is a standard three-storey box frame construction. Building height is approximately 9.5 to 10.5 meters. 

3. Ignoring perspective (for the moment), the tree is 3.3 times taller than the building = 31.35 to 34.65 meters. 

4. Due to the principle of diminishing size perspective, the tree appears larger as it is between the line of vision and the building. Therefore it must be shorter than the raw calculation.

That tree is no more than 30 meters at most, but I I would say less than that.

Tree Udon.jpg

Direct aside the tree are power/phone cables on a power pole. They are usually at around 5m.

So let it be  half way up the trunk before the tree crown starts, which may be about 50/50, I think, it is max.  20m high.

If it is 60/40, only, it is just 16m-ish

But I am certain, I have seen higher trees on Phuket.

Very old ones, very big trunk and going up into the sky.

Just not measured, yet. But certainly 50 or more meters.

I am looking for a picture, did not find it yet

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 1:14 PM, BigHewer said:

'Big Tree' is estimated to be between 50 and 64 metres tall, depending on the source. Whichever it is, the 'Udon Tree' is nowhere near that height.

Can't do a trig calculation from the photo, but there is enough information to make an estimate of the height of that tree.

1. Directly behind the tree is a standard three-storey box frame construction. Building height is approximately 9.5 to 10.5 meters. 

3. Ignoring perspective (for the moment), the tree is 3.3 times taller than the building = 31.35 to 34.65 meters. 

4. Due to the principle of diminishing size perspective, the tree appears larger as it is between the line of vision and the building. Therefore it must be shorter than the raw calculation.

That tree is no more than 30 meters at most, but I I would say less than that.

Tree Udon.jpg

That pic was taken a few years ago. Must have grown a bit since then.

A friend climbed it once. She would know the height; I'll ask her. She still lives in Udon.

Quite interested in Trees. There are big ones and there are tall ones. The two are not necessarily the same tree. The 'big' ones are generally measured around between one and two metres above ground. There are lots of tall Nang Ya trees in Northern Thailand that i have hidden away. I'll dig them out and post them.

yangna1.thumb.png.f7a866b0f803c0938312333509ddf2e9.png

Edited by snail
Turned tree around
  • Like 1