Recognition of Sinovac

Spinner

Sinovac has been approved and recognised by the WHO. I have had 2 vacinations in April in Hong Kong. 

I have a UK passport and a home in UK . 

If I return to the UK in August from my home in Phuket and Thailand remains on the UK amber list do I still have to do 10 days self isolation in UK ? 

(I have a UK NHS no. and am registered with a UK doctor. ) 

I don't think Sinovac is recognized by any Western country, so, I doubt it could be used in those cases where being fully vaccinated is accepted instead of quarantine.

• Like 1

Sinovac?  I'd seriously doubt that by the time you returned that Sinovac would be considered a sufficient vaccination to not do quarantine.

Edited by MrStretch
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Spinner said:

Sinovac has been approved and recognised by the WHO. I have had 2 vacinations in April in Hong Kong. 

The fact it has been recognized and approved by WHO does not speak to its quality.  The very fact that the connection between the Chinese and WHO makes its approval suspect.  Furthermore, even if "approved".  Some vaccines are ranked high in terms of effectiveness and some lower.  Sinovac has not received the best ranking in terms of its effectiveness particularly against the variants.  If I am going to take a risk which all vaccines carry, I want it to be with a vaccine that provides the highest possible protection, not the lowest. 

I think the WHO reluctantly approved Sinovac because of the pandemic situation worldwide and, at the time, they stated that the company had not supplied complete documentation. The University of Hong Kong has recently published research showing Pfizer 10 times more effective than Sinovac :

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2149955/biontech-produces-10-times-more-antibodies-than-sinovac-study

This is the company:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-vaccine-china-bribery-sinovac/2020/12/04/7c09ae68-28c6-11eb-9c21-3cc501d0981f_story.html