Covid UPDATE Saturday: 10,082 new infections, news briefs

Thaiger

We all knew that point count was officially going to have to splilleth over. My wife is thoroughly disgusted with those A***** playing their games and worried now. It's seems obvious they are still only pushing for the AZ.

Just now, stuhan said:

I cannot agree, thailand should never have tried opening up during a new wave of covid especially the delta highly infectious strain until they got a working vaccination program up and fully operational , any outsiders even having been vaccinated is not guaranteed 100% safe,there must be  no exceptions or the virus will continue to infect. I think the numbers are going to jump. Daily case numbers can never be completely accurate .

I think you misunderstood my message. Opening up in Phuket and Samui wasn't the brightest idea during the worst covid surge in Thailand. However, the numbers you see today have nothing to do with these tourists. These are all locally transmitted cases. Let me ask you this. Is the 2-300 confined, vaccinated, tested tourists are the bigger threat or the 10,000+ locals running around the country?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BookShe said:

I was trying to write funny, sarcastic posts in these forums but when it comes to jokes, it's hard to beat the governemt.  source:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2150207/troops-to-begin-door-to-door-tests

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the armed forces and the national police to join hands with City Hall to arrange for more than 200 rapid deployment teams to carry out door-to-door testing for Covid-19 in the worst-hit parts of the city.

They should have been rapid deployed 3 months ago

Those who test positive for the disease and have significant symptoms will be immediately transferred to a field hospital. 

Significant symptoms to field hospitals? Who can get to the hospitals? The dead?

Herbal medicines made from green chiretta (Andrographis paniculata) and some fever-reducing drugs will also be provided.

What's next? Shamans?

The prime minister also ordered Isoc to install Tu Pun Sook "happiness-sharing cabinets" in various communities to boost efforts to provide relief to the most affected people, he said.

no comment.

I am lucky i have 6 testing kits from the u.k

2 minutes ago, stuhan said:

I am lucky i have 6 testing kits from the u.k

If the six test kits can cure covid in case you are infected.... then yes. You are lucky. :))))))

Edited by BookShe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, BookShe said:

I think you misunderstood my message. Opening up in Phuket and Samui wasn't the brightest idea during the worst covid surge in Thailand. However, the numbers you see today have nothing to do with these tourists. These are all locally transmitted cases. Let me ask you this. Is the 2-300 confined, vaccinated, tested tourists are the bigger threat or the 10,000+ locals running around the country?

Yes i agree that thai's could be responsible ,what i am saying is no outsiders should be allowed to enter at this time until at least 70% of the population is vaccinated .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMdenizen said:

Yes, makes you wonder how many jabs they had to give Americans.  Now the Embassy can say they provided an opportunity, so their hands are clean.  I am happy for the Bangkok people who got registered.  Hopefully they won't do this just once, and that they also bring some to Chiang Mai.

And other provinces I live in prachinburi 

• Like 1

vaccination will be too late.

I hope the Thai govt seriously deploy Ivermectin now.

don't make the same mistake like my country.

5 minutes ago, annoynimous said:

vaccination will be too late.

It's never too late. In other words it's better later than never.

I hope the Thai govt seriously deploy Ivermectin now.

I hope not. Unless you are making a remake of the Alien blockbuster movie and using this medicine to kill those face-hugging parasites

don't make the same mistake like my country.

Now this one is too late.

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Jesus, so many Ivermectin salesmen.....

In the absence of effective vaccines, it makes sense to find out if there is anything else that clinicians around the world are having success with. Over the past 18 months, brilliant minds in every country have been highly motivated to relieve suffering. A lot has been tried and learned.

After this week's alarming data from Israel, it is by no means clear that vaccines alone are going to be enough to deal with this virus. We need as many weapons as we can get.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

After this week's alarming data from Israel, it is by no means clear that vaccines alone are going to be enough to deal with this virus. We need as many weapons as we can get.

Israel reported 1, ONE death yesterday. If that is alarming then what is Thailand's 141? It's also worth mentioning that many deeply religious groups there refused to be vaccinated. Also worth mentioning that although they reported 830 new cases, the hospitalization and mortalities don't follow. It might be too early to say, but it looks like Pfizer is working. No need for more experiment. Just get the funky vaccines.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Israel reported 1, ONE death yesterday. If that is alarming then what is Thailand's 141?

No, the data on the reduced effectiveness of Pfizer in reducing the chance of infection when faced with Delta. Down from 94% to 64%.

Essentially, being fully vaccinated with the good vaccines no longer has the secondary effect of reducing your chance of getting infected or infecting others to negligible levels. You won't get terribly sick, and you almost certainly won't require hospitalization, but it is now shifting from unlikely to likely that you will catch it.

It is a horrible setback, with worrying implications for international travel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BookShe said:

It might be too early to say, but it looks like Pfizer is working. No need for more experiment. Just get the funky vaccines.

Just to be clear, yes. Anyone who is not vaccinated by now is almost certainly going to get sick at some point over the coming months, and it won't be the softer experience that the vaccinated folks are getting. It will be the full rollercoaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

No, the data on the reduced effectiveness of Pfizer in reducing the chance of infection when faced with Delta. Down from 94% to 64%.

Essentially, being fully vaccinated with the good vaccines no longer has the secondary effect of reducing your chance of getting infected or infecting others to negligible levels. You won't get terribly sick, and you almost certainly won't require hospitalization, but it is now shifting from unlikely to likely that you will catch it.

It is a horrible setback, with worrying implications for international travel.

Reduced effectiveness which "might" still can help to reduce hospitalization or death, is something that I can live with. Nobody ever said that vaccines can prevent infections. 

The setback of international travel is something that deeply affects me. However as it was said in one of my favorite movies The 5th element. "time is not important, only life important"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colin said:

Don't forget your towels.....

I never leave home without one and not because I go to the beach.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Reduced effectiveness which "might" still can help to reduce hospitalization or death, is something that I can live with. Nobody ever said that vaccines can prevent infections. 

The problem is that going from "hardly ever get infected" to "gets infected about half as much as the unvaccinated" all but eliminates our role as blockers.

Prior to Delta, the 60% who are fully vaccinated with Pfizer in Israel were sufficient to retard the spread of the virus, to the extent that everyone was protected.

The entire basis of returning to normalcy was that we no longer had to be so careful ourselves because the vaccines would do the work. That is now out the window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

The problem is that going from "hardly ever get infected" to "gets infected about half as much as the unvaccinated" all but eliminates our role as blockers.

I'm sorry but I don't wanna be a "blocker" I wanna be a funky survivor.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SickBuffalo said:

Prior to Delta, the 60% who are fully vaccinated with Pfizer in Israel were sufficient to retard the spread of the virus, to the extent that everyone was protected.

Read the 14-page study written by Hervé Seligmann, posted on the Controversial Covid Corner < see link >, which analyses the official available data from the Pfizer-COVID-19 mass-vaccination in ISRAEL.

It’s an absolute wake-up call, and pours ice-cold water on that ‘highly successful’ mass-vaccination experiment.

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/2081-ccc-the-controversial-covid-corner/?do=findComment&comment=11665 

Edited by BlueSphinx

well, an other red line crossed, i doubt it is the last , too many unknown in this equation, responsible is government yes, but peoples of Thailand have their part too. surging occurs everywhere, battle against the D varient just began, the question is for how long ? and how long thai peoples will be able to hold it . Some fully vaccinated are infected again this does not let see the end of the tunnel ........ tourism as we know may change for something different ......

Among the sub-stories in this report, did anyone see the bit about the Thai insurer who is trying to void Covid policies they have issued. Apparently the TH gov have told them that they will have to suck it up and pay up.

For once, something to applaud the TH gov for I think

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Now might be a good time to visit Makro and stock up on essential items - before others do the same and they are gone.

May also be a good time to exchange some £,$,€. Every time there’s bad news in Thailand the Baht seems to get stronger!! It has weakened over the past year but nothing like on the scale I would have thought. Last week as case numbers soared and lockdowns were tightened it fell less than 1% 

No...what's next is mass infection of the delta strain and Thailand becoming the next India, because they didn't lockdown hard enough or fast enough in their largest cities. At least in Phuket the effort to vaccinate the public was substantial. I fear it will be one of the few places to maintain lower numbers. Considering, how the Delta variant spreads so quickly and has a much shorter time before a person who contracted it becomes infectious, lockdowns are the only method (together with mass testing, tracing and isolation), to control the outbreaks in a largely unvaccinated population, it's the only way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SickBuffalo said:

Just to be clear, yes. Anyone who is not vaccinated by now is almost certainly going to get sick at some point over the coming months, and it won't be the softer experience that the vaccinated folks are getting. It will be the full rollercoaster.

This is a great point. I think many unvaccinated and vaccinated people will contract the virus in the next 12 months. As the world becomes more vaccinated, we need to stop worrying so much about case numbers and focus on hospitalisations and deaths. In the U.K. we know (and live with the fact) that on average 10,000 people a year die from flu. We don’t report how many people caught it and survived. We happily accept the risk and older people are encouraged to get an annual flu jab. 

I know three people in the last few weeks who have got Covid. All fully vaccinated and all had a few days of what was like a heavy flu symptoms. Aches and pain, very bad headaches and a high temperature. All recovered quickly and now back at work. They all said the worst part was not knowing how bad it was going to get. A feeling that had they not been vaccinated would have been far worse.  

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

May also be a good time to exchange some £,$,€. Every time there’s bad news in Thailand the Baht seems to get stronger!! It has weakened over the past year but nothing like on the scale I would have thought. Last week as case numbers soared and lockdowns were tightened it fell less than 1% 

This is the chart of the Baht to AUD since they floated in 1997.  Clearly the Baht is still way over-valued and I believe it will drop more - another 20+% I reckon.  If you look at the chart it is obvious the Junta created an atmosphere (managed) to raise the Baht - some say to pay for Military purchases  and grandiose China-style infrastructure projects to create the false illusion of economic growth - I dont know enough to argue against that. 

Untitled.jpg.32099ecd1e77c2deb7b308b2c0be7428.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1