‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ a World War 1 documentary

Andrew Reeve

I watched ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ last night and it’s a documentary by Peter Jackson on the experience of British soldiers during World War 1, using eyewitness accounts and vividly restored footage. It was excellent film and it really hits home, the horrors of war and I recommend everyone to watch it. Peter Jackson did a tremendous job with the old footage.

Yesterday, I mentioned on the forum that I had watched “They Shall Not Grow Old” and it was a documentary by Peter Jackson set during World War 1.  As a result I remembered several years ago purchasing and enjoying the box sets for “Band of Brothers” and “The Pacific” Both box sets are based on the real-life experiences of two different American military units on opposite sides of the globe battling the Axis Powers during World War 2.

“Band of Brothers” is based on the book of the same name by Stephen Ambrose and is set in Europe. It was written by him based on archives and interviews with the surviving members of Easy Company, 501st of the 101st Airborne almost 50 years after the war.

“The Pacific” is based on parts of the books, Helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie, and With the Old Breed by Eugene B. Sledge as well as original interviews conducted by the film maker.

• 4 months later...

On 5/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

Yesterday, I mentioned on the forum that I had watched “They Shall Not Grow Old” and it was a documentary by Peter Jackson set during World War 1. 

If your interested, some good war documentary type YouTube channels …

• Thanks 1