News Forum - Fun-loving UK teenager dies after taking drugs at Full Moon party in Thailand, inquest reveals

Thaiger

A fun-loving, “fiercely independent” teenager from the United Kingdom died after taking drugs at a Full Moon party in Thailand an inquest heard. A UK coroner yesterday determined that the 18 year old woman from Winchester died by misadventure after taking ecstasy while backpacking in Thailand. The teenager, Eleanor Yates, was found dead in her …

The story Fun-loving UK teenager dies after taking drugs at Full Moon party in Thailand, inquest reveals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Confused 1

I  joined the Military at 16 years old, as a young apprentice.  At the time, I was often resentful at the restrictions , rules and  laws placed on we younger people, but I look back now and see that the Services saved me and many other youngsters from drug exposure (apart from beer)  and the dangers shown here. There but for the grace of something , go us all. 

• Like 1

Catherine, her mother, added she was disappointed with the Full Moon party investigation from the Thai police.

Why blame Thai police, when it is not their fault. Thai police never tell your daughter to take those drugs. I know it is very unfortunate that she has to leave at an early age. But in my view, no one should be blamed except the person herself and her parents for not properly advising and looking after a young teenager. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I  joined the Military at 16 years old, as a young apprentice.  At the time, I was often resentful at the restrictions , rules and  laws placed on we younger people, but I look back now and see that the Services saved me and many other youngsters from drug exposure (apart from beer)  and the dangers shown here. There but for the grace of something , go us all. 

Utterly sanctimonious crap.

Millions upon millions upon millions of young people do just fine without enlisting in the military.

If being in the military 'saved' you from making stupid mistakes, the conclusion that I draw is simply that you needed a Nanny longer than the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Millions upon millions upon millions of young people do just fine without enlisting in the military.

If being in the military 'saved' you from making stupid mistakes, the conclusion that I draw is simply that you needed a Nanny longer than the rest of us.

Lol, awesome take.  Have to agree, utterly sanctimonious drivel.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I think that is a bit harsh

@Pinetree is just giving his opinion that the Military helped him and it does help a lot of younger people

See nothing wrong with his post

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Catherine, her mother, added she was disappointed with the Full Moon party investigation from the Thai police.

Why blame Thai police, when it is not their fault. Thai police never tell your daughter to take those drugs. I know it is very unfortunate that she has to leave at an early age. But in my view, no one should be blamed except the person herself and her parents for not properly advising and looking after a young teenager. 

Millions of kids do drugs, parenting almost never is a factor

But you also think smoking weed makes people serial killers 5555

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Then you and the other poster know nothing, learn nothing, accept nothing.  No time for people like you or your views. 

Sounds like she was just unlucky. She'd probably done it before. Maybe the tablet was a lot stronger than usual and her body wasn't used to it, or there were other mitigating circumstances.

Fact is that millions of people take MDMA  every weekend and very few die. 

Condolences to the family.

22 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Sounds like she was just unlucky. She'd probably done it before. Maybe the tablet was a lot stronger than usual and her body wasn't used to it, or there were other mitigating circumstances.

Fact is that millions of people take MDMA  every weekend and very few die. 

Condolences to the family.

What she took was most likely not MDMA.

9 minutes ago, LuckyStrike said:

Quite possibly. I did wonder that but the toxicology report in the article mentioned MDMA, but how accurate that is who knows.

There has been a trend the last few years for E's to be far stronger, up to 3x, what they used to be, so maybe that was a factor.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

Or she took another dose every time the effects wore off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/drugfacts/substance-use-military-life

The article above also contradicts Pine tree’s experience. The relationship between the armed forces and drug addiction go back to the American civil war.

11 hours ago, Saunk said:

With an outlook like that... you still need a nanny would be my take... some people never grow up

22 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It helps but I think it would be more of family upbringing, education about the dangers of these drugs and friends (good ones) around you.

• Like 1

Plenty of UK military busted for drug smuggling over the years. 

Anyone who thinks that being in the military means you don't take drugs would be very naive indeed. 

One only has to look at the rates of heroin consumption by US soldiers during Vietnam War! 

17 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think that is a bit harsh

@Pinetree is just giving his opinion that the Military helped him and it does help a lot of younger people

See nothing wrong with his post

I agree, the same usual suspects that wouldn't know a guardsman from a stickman telling somebody that has served about the military, these same people probably know more about heart surgery than Dr Christian Barnard.😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

I agree, the same usual suspects that wouldn't know a guardsman from a stickman telling somebody that has served about the military, these same people probably know more about heart surgery than Dr Christian Barnard.😂😂😂

I'm actually working for the military right now. 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, Skip said:

With an outlook like that... you still need a nanny would be my take... some people never grow up

I know when I was 16 I wasn’t grown up yet.  I didn’t need or ever have a nanny and maybe that is a UK take on @Pinetree comment?  I had a hard @ss step-father who let me know I needed to change something when I was making teenager mistakes.  I did go into the military at 17, the earliest one could enlist in the US military with parental signature.  It was after the Vietnam war and there were many older folks were doing different drugs at the time until urinalysis testing started during Reagan’s years and the trend declined if folks wanted to stay in.  It never went to zero as there are always those special folks that think they know how to beat the system.  Been many years since I retired from the military and I sure they still have some special folks in the ranks.

I would like to think I have grown up since I was 16 along with many others

Edited by Dancbmac
Needed finish my comment

49 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I know when I was 16 I wasn’t grown up yet.  I didn’t need or ever have a nanny and maybe that is a UK take on @Pinetree comment?  I had a hard @ss step-father who let me know I needed to change something when I was making teenager mistakes.  I did go into the military at 17, the earliest one could enlist in the US military with parental signature.  It was after the Vietnam war and there were many older folks were doing different drugs at the time until urinalysis testing started during Reagan’s years and the trend declined if folks wanted to stay in.  It never went to zero as there are always those special folks that think they know how to beat the system.  Been many years since I retired from the military and I sure they still have some special folks in the ranks.

I would like to think I have grown up since I was 16 along with many others

In my 24 years, I never came across any drug taking, bar alcohol. I freely admit that the Military brought me up, changed a underconfident, shy kid into, eventually, a seasoned fighter pilot. There was nothing 'nanny' about it, it was just tough love and continuous developmental training  that many young kids need in life. I thank it for that. It set me up for a reasonably successful second half of my life, and indeed, a comfortable retirement. 

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

In my 24 years, I never came across any drug taking, bar alcohol. I freely admit that the Military brought me up, changed a underconfident, shy kid into, eventually, a seasoned fighter pilot. There was nothing 'nanny' about it, it was just tough love and continuous developmental training  that many young kids need in life. I thank it for that. It set me up for a reasonably successful second half of my life, and indeed, a comfortable retirement. 

It's great that the military did that for you 

But I'd imagine the stats on drugs and alcohol amongst military would be pretty much in line with the general public

I might even think their alcohol intake could possibly be larger 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I came from a poor background and grew up on welfare and I also grew up in the military, probably more quickly that my high school classmates who could afford to go to college after high school.  My comment was in response to @Skip‘s comment to you “With an outlook like that... you still need a nanny would be my take... some people never grow up” about you entering the military at 16.  I personally never seen any 16 year old boy that was grown up as most are in the change process during that time.  I am sure there maybe some in the world but is rare. You eventually being a fighter pilot did grow up so it kinda debunks’ @Skip‘s comment.  The military isn’t for everyone and is just one option that works for some folks like yourself and me.  I was also a very shy skinny teenager that was bullied as a kid having very little self esteem and military helped me overcome these issues and eventually as I advanced up the ranks into leadership successfully handling very stressful situations after lots of training didn’t require the military “babysitting me” (US term). I saw others in my early days doing drugs in the military barracks and alcohol was common (drunken sailor quip) and I admit in my early days I went to the base clubs and had a few drinks, sometimes a few too many, but I quickly assessed that I made a poor choice if I wanted to be successful. Also set me up for a 2nd career and comfortable retirement.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, Pinga said:

Or she took another dose every time the effects wore off.

Years ago a girl in the US died from taking MDMA. Sort of... She was told to drinks lots of water and she did. She died of water intoxication. Not saying that happened here.

4 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

Years ago a girl in the US died from taking MDMA. Sort of... She was told to drinks lots of water and she did. She died of water intoxication. Not saying that happened here.

Back in the 90s in the uk there was a similar case. 18yo girl drank 7 litres of water in 90 minutes! 

• Like 1