Thai Red Cross Society to give 1 million Moderna vaccines free

Thaiger

As Thailand’s vaccination rollout plods along with Sinovac vaccines that have little effectiveness against the Delta variant of Covid-19 and AstraZeneca production far behind schedule, many nervous Thai citizens are looking to private hospitals and third party groups importing more effective vaccines to turn the tides in the battle against Covid-19. This week has seen a step forward as Thailand’s Red Cross Society has struck a deal to import 1 million Moderna vaccines intended to be given for free. The Thai Red Cross Society has negotiated a deal with Moderna to import 1 million vaccines, using the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation […]

The post Thai Red Cross Society to give 1 million Moderna vaccines free appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I just was saying in another forum that these humanitarian organizations ,such as the Red Cross, weren't doing enough, especially in the BKK construction sites !

This is outstanding ! Fingers crossed that it goes to the one's who can't afford 3.4k for the Mvacc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

I just was saying in another forum that these humanitarian organizations ,such as the Red Cross, weren't doing enough, especially in the BKK construction sites !

This is outstanding ! Fingers crossed that it goes to the one's who can't afford 3.4k for the Mvacc.

I understand the sentiment you are expressing here, but does Thailand (a middle income country) really need the Red Cross to show how to do things? 

Im not sure what you mean about fingers crossed it goes to the ones who can’t afford the 3.4K for the Mvacc?  Even those people who can afford it aren’t getting it. The whole thing is just a mess and I just can’t understand why, in a country like Thailand, no one is grabbing hold of the controls and sorting it out? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Does it say when this deal will become reality? We can cross as many fingers as we like or we have but the last sentence says "using the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation"

It will be a great success in 2022 with all my fingers crossed

• Like 2

Moderna have been as bad as AstraZeneca at fulfilling orders.

My hunch is that Thailand will be bailed out this summer by Pfizer who, having already bailed out the incompetent bureaucrats in Europe, have the momentum and operational efficiency to consistently deliver ahead of schedule. That is why Biontech partnered with them.

Keep an eye out for any announcements of massive new capacity coming onstream in South Korea.

Once again foreigners helping out incompetent, corrupt Thais - the same Thais that on systematic basis, bleed foreigners dry for every last baht they have when in this country. When will these vaccines reach the people that need them? After the inserted middle-men have taken their cut in 'fees' and syphoned off a few hundred thousand for their friends and family. This is the reality in this forever banana republic. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

I understand the sentiment you are expressing here, but does Thailand (a middle income country) really need the Red Cross to show how to do things? 

Im not sure what you mean about fingers crossed it goes to the ones who can’t afford the 3.4K for the Mvacc?  Even those people who can afford it aren’t getting it. The whole thing is just a mess and I just can’t understand why, in a country like Thailand, no one is grabbing hold of the controls and sorting it out? 

This useless corrupt incompetent Junta made Thailand to a 3rd world country on the lowest level again. Now people sleeping on the streets in front of the hospitals waiting for treatment or a covid test. That are the pictures of 3rd world countries. The middle income country is over they rob the country and it is bankrupt economicly and morally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buttaxe said:

Once again foreigners helping out incompetent, corrupt Thais ...(snip)

"foreigners" ?

It's the Thai Red Cross Society.

There's a hint in the name.

The Thai Red Cross Society is a government agency, funded and run directly by the state - not an NGO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"foreigners" ?

The Thai Red Cross Society is a government agency, funded and run directly by the state - not an NGO.

And look at the Patrons of said organization. 

I do hope it was Uncle Tu that gave his approval for them to get these vaccines or there may be a problem when they arrive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

My guess would be that it will very probably be given to government hospital staff as a booster dose, distributed through provincial hospitals.

There's no other way of using it equitably or constructively, and private hospitals already have the option of pre-registering their staff for Moderna commercially, although few appear to have done so.

Edited by Stonker
typo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BookShe said:

Does it say when this deal will become reality? We can cross as many fingers as we like or we have but the last sentence says "using the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation"

It will be a great success in 2022 with all my fingers crossed

Optimistically (with just about everything crossed) 2022 should be successful but realistically the way things are progressing (or standing still) 2023 appears more realistic. It's a very sad and frustrating situation which could and should have been avoided.

13 minutes ago, Graham said:

And look at the Patrons of said organization. 

I do hope it was Uncle Tu that gave his approval for them to get these vaccines or there may be a problem when they arrive.

I think you may need to look at who is the executive vice president.

41 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"foreigners" ?

Yeah, there's a hint in the name 'Red CROSS'. Jeez there's some halfwits posting here, clearly found a suitable home in a low IQ country.

7 hours ago, SickBuffalo said:

Moderna have been as bad as AstraZeneca at fulfilling orders.

My hunch is that Thailand will be bailed out this summer by Pfizer who, having already bailed out the incompetent bureaucrats in Europe, have the momentum and operational efficiency to consistently deliver ahead of schedule. That is why Biontech partnered with them.

Keep an eye out for any announcements of massive new capacity coming onstream in South Korea.

Moderna is a very small Biotech company compared to Pfizer or AZ. They indeed fulfilled their promises. You can go to any country in the EU or the USA and can get their vaccine administered in two minutes. They were transparent on the production capacity and it's on the first comes first-served basis. Unfortunately, Thailand wasn't in a rush to secure any shipment with them. Just to put it in perspective, the EU signed the contract in October last year. Thailand just signed recently "allegedly"

Making a vaccine is relatively easy. Scaling up, to produce it in billions, well it's a different ballpark. Just to give you background info Pfizer made its formula in TWO hours after the genome sequence of the virus was available. You heard it right. Two hours. I happen to know the woman behind the Mrna research. She was working on this for 40 years. It's a bloody lifetime for some of us. AZ uses the old-school technique. Their shortcomings are from the different components used in their productions and not from the scaling up. There's a shortage of many components in their cocktails. 

The next problem will be the booster shots. An already short supply will be directed for the boosters, so my advice for Thailand is to go out and reserve and pay for these vaccines because just as before it will be on a first comes first served basis.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Buttaxe said:

Yeah, there's a hint in the name 'Red CROSS'. Jeez there's some halfwits posting here, (snip)

For once, @Buttaxe, we're in agreement.

29 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Moderna is a very small Biotech company compared to Pfizer or AZ. They indeed fulfilled their promises. You can go to any country in the EU or the USA and can get their vaccine administered in two minutes. They were transparent on the production capacity and it's on the first comes first-served basis. Unfortunately, Thailand wasn't in a rush to secure any shipment with them. Just to put it in perspective, the EU signed the contract in October last year. Thailand just signed recently "allegedly"

Making a vaccine is relatively easy. Scaling up, to produce it in billions, well it's a different ballpark. Just to give you background info Pfizer made its formula in TWO hours after the genome sequence of the virus was available. You heard it right. Two hours. I happen to know the woman behind the Mrna research. She was working on this for 40 years. It's a bloody lifetime for some of us. AZ uses the old-school technique. Their shortcomings are from the different components used in their productions and not from the scaling up. There's a shortage of many components in their cocktails. 

The next problem will be the booster shots. An already short supply will be directed for the boosters, so my advice for Thailand is to go out and reserve and pay for these vaccines because just as before it will be on a first comes first served basis.

Are you a Moderna sales-rep?

1 hour ago, pallarenda said:

Just makes it so much more obvious how incompetent and pathetic  the thai military govt are?

That is Junta to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Are you a Moderna sales-rep?

" I happen to know the woman behind the Mrna research." 

She is working for Pfizer-Biontech, so if I would be a sales rep. it would have been for Pfizer :) I happen to know some backround info and I shared with a 100+ forum memebers who reads this. So in short I'm not a sales rep for moderna, but if you wanna discuss the info I pointed out in my post, I'm more than happy to do so. :)

• Cool 1

After watching the Thai news late last night, there seems to be some snags or delays with vaccine P and vaccine M. Hard to be upbeat on anything positive said that comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

Just to give you background info Pfizer made its formula in TWO hours after the genome sequence of the virus was available. You heard it right. Two hours.

You heard it wrong. German company Biontech created the Comirnaty vaccine with no involvement by Pfizer until they partnered with them for their testing, manufacturing, and distribution expertise. Pfizer may have mRNA researchers of their own but they were not involved in the creation. It was not something Pfizer was capable of creating inhouse.

Moderna is a very small Biotech company compared to Pfizer or AZ. They indeed fulfilled their promises.

Simply wrong regarding the EU. The USA is a different story because they accepted specific advance payments from the US government to fund their operation (Pfizer chose not to). Therefore, those early sales to the US had to be fulfilled first.

The story in the EU is different. Neither AstraZeneca nor Moderna came close to delivering the projected quantities, despite Moderna projections being low from the start. It was Pfizer that unexpectedly took up the slack.

You can go to any country in the EU or the USA and can get their vaccine administered in two minutes.

Nonsense. Many of the members here are currently in the EU. They will tell you that you cannot simply get any vaccine in two minutes. There has been a grinding shortage, with tense wait as vaccines are released to progressively younger age groups. Most EU countries are only now starting to do the 30-39 cohort and most will not finish their populations until October.

Unlike the US, EU appointments are allocated by a central system. You do not get to pick the vaccine you want. Some people go to their own doctor but most go to mass vaccination centers, often a long drive away, where the whole process can take over an hour.

There are actual street protests because most EU countries are instituting a two-tier system whereby customers of indoor pubs and restaurants must prove that they are fully vaccinated. This is seen as exclusionary of the younger half of the adult population who have not yet been given the opportunity to get vaccinated. They will also be unable to get the new vaccine certificates that would allow them to avoid expensive tests when traveling within Europe.

In your fantasy world of two-minute Moderna vaccines, they could go get vaccinated instead of protesting.

Unfortunately, Thailand wasn't in a rush to secure any shipment with them. Just to put it in perspective, the EU signed the contract in October last year. Thailand just signed recently "allegedly"

I agree with that. The incompetence of placing your first orders for the only effective vaccines 18 months into a global pandemic, and unnecessarily torpedoing your $60 billion tourist industry for a second year, is shocking.

I happen to know the woman behind the Mrna research. She was working on this for 40 years. It's a bloody lifetime for some of us.

Katalin Karikó? She started researching mRNA treatments in the 90's. 

Making a vaccine is relatively easy. Scaling up, to produce it in billions, well it's a different ballpark.

Of course, but it is worth noting that Moderna is widely considered to have settled upon a dose that is too large, about four times the size of the one that Pfizer settled upon before proceeding to the testing phase.

This means that, from the same massive bioreactor tank, Moderna can produce only a quarter of the shots that Pfizer can. At a time when suitable facilities are in short supply, this gives Pfizer a massive advantage in striking those production deals.

Moderna cannot reduce the dosage until it comes up with version 2 and puts that through the same laborious months of tests.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BookShe said:

" I happen to know the woman behind the Mrna research." 

She is working for Pfizer-Biontech, so if I would be a sales rep. it would have been for Pfizer :) I happen to know some backround info and I shared with a 100+ forum memebers who reads this. So in short I'm not a sales rep for moderna, but if you wanna discuss the info I pointed out in my post, I'm more than happy to do so. :)

See my response to your earlier post > https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/2379-biontech-says-there-are-no-talks-with-thonburi-healthcare-for-vaccines/?do=findComment&comment=13847

Let's discuss the issues in that thread...

42 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

You heard it wrong. German company Biontech created the Comirnaty vaccine with no involvement by Pfizer until they partnered with them for their testing, manufacturing, and distribution expertise. Pfizer may have mRNA researchers of their own but they were not involved in the creation. It was not something Pfizer was capable of creating inhouse.

Simply wrong regarding the EU. The USA is a different story because they accepted specific advance payments from the US government to fund their operation (Pfizer chose not to). Therefore, those early sales to the US had to be fulfilled first.

The story in the EU is different. Neither AstraZeneca nor Moderna came close to delivering the projected quantities, despite Moderna projections being low from the start. It was Pfizer that unexpectedly took up the slack.

Nonsense. Many of the members here are currently in the EU. They will tell you that you cannot simply get any vaccine in two minutes. There has been a grinding shortage, with tense wait as vaccines are released to progressively younger age groups. Most EU countries are only now starting to do the 30-39 cohort and most will not finish their populations until October.

Unlike the US, EU appointments are allocated by a central system. You do not get to pick the vaccine you want. Some people go to their own doctor but most go to mass vaccination centers, often a long drive away, where the whole process can take over an hour.

There are actual street protests because most EU countries are instituting a two-tier system whereby customers of indoor pubs and restaurants must prove that they are fully vaccinated. This is seen as exclusionary of the younger half of the adult population who have not yet been given the opportunity to get vaccinated. They will also be unable to get the new vaccine certificates that would allow them to avoid expensive tests when traveling within Europe.

In your fantasy world of two-minute Moderna vaccines, they could go get vaccinated instead of protesting.

I agree with that. The incompetence of placing your first orders for the only effective vaccines 18 months into a global pandemic, and unnecessarily torpedoing your $60 billion tourist industry for a second year, is shocking.

Katalin Karikó? She started researching mRNA treatments in the 90's. 

Of course, but it is worth noting that Moderna is widely considered to have settled upon a dose that is too large, about four times the size of the one that Pfizer settled upon before proceeding to the testing phase.

This means that, from the same massive bioreactor tank, Moderna can produce only a quarter of the shots that Pfizer can. At a time when suitable facilities are in short supply, this gives Pfizer a massive advantage in striking those production deals.

Moderna cannot reduce the dosage until it comes up with version 2 and puts that through the same laborious months of tests.

Agreed on all counts, @SickBuffalo, particularly on the two minute availability of Moderna in the EU which is wildly incorrect.

Edited by Stonker
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

You heard it wrong. German company Biontech created the Comirnaty vaccine with no involvement by Pfizer until they partnered with them for their testing, manufacturing, and distribution expertise. Pfizer may have mRNA researchers of their own but they were not involved in the creation, it was not something Pfizer was capable of inhouse.

You are right. It was the German Biontech who made the vaccine. But since everyone is reffering to them as Pfizer-Biontech, or Pfizer for short I used the name as well.

13 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

True. Especially at the beggining. However the situation improved a lot.

14 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

In the USA you can get vaccinated in two minutes at a local pharmacy with Moderna or Pfizer. In the EU since it was a joint order for all the member countries, some bigger countries with larger population is still having issues, yes. However some smaller countries have abundant vaccines available and you can select from 4 or 5 different brands and get injected in two minutes. I was wrong using the word any country. It should be: many EU countries.

15 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

Katalin Karikó? She started researching mRNA in the 90's.

She started in Hungary In the 80's, and she moved to the USA. 30 years or 40 years it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 2