News Forum - Phuket expat’s urgent appeal for funds after hit-and-run incident

Thaiger

Richard Valentine, an expat and businessman in Phuket, has made an urgent appeal for funds to complete his medical treatments at the government-run Vachira Phuket Hospital. Valentine suffered serious leg injuries and a concussion in a hit-and-run incident. Valentine was riding his motorbike when he was struck by an unidentified SUV driver on March 31, …

The story Phuket expat’s urgent appeal for funds after hit-and-run incident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Should have had better quality insurance, especially as a business operator and biker. 

To be fair, he did at least have some. There has to be a balance between adequate cover and cost.

• Haha 1

Here we go again. It might be he also had no business being on any type of a motorbike. My thoughts are most foreingers should not get anywhere near bikes as they don't have the needed common sense aptitude. Business operator owner or just a GM hired worker? If he is an owner then he may be able to get a bank loan. Portly thick looking fellow, but all in all hope he recovers.

• Angry 1

According to information available on LinkedIn, Valentine is the general manager of a cigar, whisky, and wine lounge in the island.

Why is he riding a motorcycle knowing that it is dangerous in Thailand. Why can't he get a simple second hand car? What happened to his rider gears? These type of cases are a never ending story when comes to foreigners in Thailand. Something is really missing here....

It really bites my ass when expats are begging for money

They didn't want to stick it out in the real world and make legit money

So they fxuekd off to Thailand while the rest of people are working hard at home 

Then they have the gall to beg for money

Screw him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

According to information available on LinkedIn, Valentine is the general manager of a cigar, whisky, and wine lounge in the island.

Why is he riding a motorcycle knowing that it is dangerous in Thailand. Why can't he get a simple second hand car? What happened to his rider gears? These type of cases are a never ending story when comes to foreigners in Thailand. Something is really missing here....

I ride almost everyday and am very comfortable. I never ever have any problem as I look left to right and always in my mirrors. Put that in the 3 decades of experience here. Will say again, riding bikes is not everyone should do especially here, and I will throw it out there driving an automobile as well. Not saying that one can get caught up in misfortune by a fluke mistake, but in general not everyone or let's say the biggest majority of foreigners should not be riding over here. Differtent mind set, but then again I grew up in the US riding motocross, ten speeds and motor bikes. You learn at a very young age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

To be fair, he did at least have some. There has to be a balance between adequate cover and cost.

and he expects the public to pick up the bill for that gap, of his own making;  dream on mate 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Did you know that Covid resulted in significant financial losses for many of  Phuket's smaller hospitality  businesses? They were either closed or bereft of clientele for almost 2 years.  Even with the reopening of Thailand and the  partial recovery of the tourism sector, the hospitality sector is still in recovery. It is quite likely that the past 2 years saw him with little income, but living expenses and debt service. He may have  exhausted his savings, and not had sufficient funds for top quality motor insurance.

If you were injured in  a car crash today, would you have sufficient funds to  go 2-3 years with little income but significant  fixed expenses? I am fortunate that I am financially secure, but 90%+ of the world's population is not and I do keep that in mind before peeing on a  person of limited financial means.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I ld say , and i guess that should be widespread by now , if you buy or ride a bike regulary in Thailand ,

you must have sufficient funds for these kind of scenarios , call it minimum 1 Mio THB which you just leave for stuff like this .

Otherwise ......WALK TAXI CAR

but....taking part in Thai traffic makes you a possible victim

what do you think how many uninsured Thais are driving around ? plenty !

nicely on Whisky Yaba or Meth or a mix of it

I dont want to leave my life to 1 of these nutcases anyway

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Did you know that Covid resulted in significant financial losses for many of  Phuket's smaller hospitality  businesses? They were either closed or bereft of clientele for almost 2 years.  Even with the reopening of Thailand and the  partial recovery of the tourism sector, the hospitality sector is still in recovery. It is quite likely that the past 2 years saw him with little income, but living expenses and debt service. He may have  exhausted his savings, and not had sufficient funds for top quality motor insurance.

If you were injured in  a car crash today, would you have sufficient funds to  go 2-3 years with little income but significant  fixed expenses? I am fortunate that I am financially secure, but 90%+ of the world's population is not and I do keep that in mind before peeing on a  person of limited financial means.

Well for once, I totally agree with you. The type of business he is running, no doubt whatsoever that he has been badly impacted the last 3 years as you described. God knows I know a few in this situation, and a few more whom left Thailand back to their home countries pocketless.

And to add to his misfortune: he is the victim of a hit-and-run. Come on people, it is not nice, in Thailand or anywhere.

Also it is not mentioned in the article but he has gone through 2 operations already, and we do not know how much these did cost, very likely far more than the 3rd one, which is for that one that his money ran out.

But I agree totally with the last paragraph of the article. He should give more informations on his fundraising page, that would help clarify his situation and more people may want to help him once all details are known.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Phuket is "theoretically" much safer than bangkok for scooters. There are some areas that are dodgy. A car would be a PITA on phuket for non-local.

There are some people that simply shouldn't be on scooters or motorbikes.

You can either adjust to driving in thailand or not.

9 hours ago, Vigo said:

Then he should have gone back to his country and got a real job 

But he wants to live his make believe life

"managing a cigar bar in Thailand "

Get real

He's a loser like so many expats(not the responsible ones like many on here)

And it's evident he's a loser that he has no embarrassment to beg for money as a grown adult 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gord said:

Phuket is "theoretically" much safer than bangkok for scooters. There are some areas that are dodgy. A car would be a PITA on phuket for non-local.

There are some people that simply shouldn't be on scooters or motorbikes.

You can either adjust to driving in thailand or not.

I'd actually disagree with that

I've driven a MB in Bangkok and you aren't ever really going that fast to be in any real danger

Opposed to Phuket where it is pretty open and vehicles get some decent speed 

11 hours ago, Chaimai said:

About that, looking that he is in the public hospital, he assumingly has ONLY the social insurance, that came with the Job. Which is , eh, limited!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

Well for once, I totally agree with you. The type of business he is running, no doubt whatsoever that he has been badly impacted the last 3 years as you described. God knows I know a few in this situation, and a few more whom left Thailand back to their home countries pocketless.

And to add to his misfortune: he is the victim of a hit-and-run. Come on people, it is not nice, in Thailand or anywhere.

Also it is not mentioned in the article but he has gone through 2 operations already, and we do not know how much these did cost, very likely far more than the 3rd one, which is for that one that his money ran out.

But I agree totally with the last paragraph of the article. He should give more informations on his fundraising page, that would help clarify his situation and more people may want to help him once all details are known.

The surgery is less than 10k

No one should be living overseas if they don't have 10k 

They should be back home working a real job and not begging people for money

He's a loser....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The surgery is less than 10k

No one should be living overseas if they don't have 10k 

They should be back home working a real job and not begging people for money

He's a loser....

Like I said, he had already 2 operations + i guess a long time in hospital so more money. That already must be much more than 10k. I personally put quite a bit on the side to make sure I am prepared if anything bad happens to me. It doesn't mean I believe anyone who has not done like me are losers.

• Like 1

Seems to be a thing nowadays... let the public help me attitude... I wonder if it is because of socialized subsidies given by their countries of origin.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Like I said, he had already 2 operations + i guess a long time in hospital so more money. That already must be much more than 10k. I personally put quite a bit on the side to make sure I am prepared if anything bad happens to me. It doesn't mean I believe anyone who has not done like me are losers.

Why?

They are

It may sound harsh

But guys like you and others worked hard to achieve what you are doing 

And I believe you still are (bar?)

Others stay back until they have enough to live overseas

This guy is a loser like so many other who want to shun responsibility in the real world then beg people for money 

It sucks that he had this accident but he should have been home working a real a job and saving money like an adult 

Anyway, he is in a public hospital.

He get`s, what is needed to keep him alive.

For more he needs the money.

Should have paid a couple of thousand bath/year for upgrading his social health insurance.

So: Somnamna!

30 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Anyway, he is in a public hospital.

He get`s, what is needed to keep him alive.

For more he needs the money.

Should have paid a couple of thousand bath/year for upgrading his social health insurance.

So: Somnamna!

Just like rental car insurance in a foreign country, when I live in a foreign country I get full insurance where I don't have to pay a dime if needed

I am going to Dominican Republic in June and the rental car companies are a pain in the ass with insurance.

Rather than deal with any deductibles, etc, I will just take taxis/buses

My wife is a Thai citizen but there has been times she has went back to Thailand for long stretches and I always buy her health insurance that she has zero dedcutible

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Just like rental car insurance in a foreign country, when I live in a foreign country I get full insurance where I don't have to pay a dime if needed

I am going to Dominican Republic in June and the rental car companies are a pain in the ass with insurance.

get a credit card, that covers the 1. Class insurance. As long you pay the rental with it!

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

get a credit card, that covers the 1. Class insurance. As long you pay the rental with it!

But in foreign countries you have to pay 1st, then submit claims with your CC

Which I do when I rent in US/Canada and have had my CC cover minor accidents, no need to pay 1st.............

But when I am in a foreign country I don't want any hassles, so I pay up for full coverage/no deductible

In Thailand, it's not much and I had an accident that I dropped off the car zero questions asked.....

But in a place like DR, it is just way too onerous, the best insurance is still a high deductible

So fine taxi'ing and bus there.............