News Forum - Twitter’s blue tick removal sparks concerns

Thaiger

Twitter has taken a significant step by initiating the removal of blue ticks from high-profile individuals such as Pope Francis, Donald Trump, and Justin Bieber. They have now lost their verified status on the platform. Previously, Elon Musk, the owner of Twitter, had pledged to do away with the “lords and peasants system” that he …

The story Twitter’s blue tick removal sparks concerns as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oh those poor celebrities', however will they cope, it's a tragedy, poor diddum's, they must be wringing their little celebrity hands in desperation. The Pope chap must be especially upset, else who would know who he is? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elon Musk is the P.T. Barnum of the 21st  century. Attention seeking lunatic with more money than he can imagine what to do with. 

Twitter is becoming a joke.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Elon Musk is the P.T. Barnum of the 21st  century. Attention seeking lunatic with more money than he can imagine what to do with. 

Becoming a joke? Wasn't it always, long before Musk bought it. 

• Like 4

$96 a year for a blue tick. Staff cuts! No more catered free lunches! Makes me suspect that Twitter is now being run as a real business, not a public service!  😂

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

It always was a joke.  People whining , moaning, preaching, or pontificating, their innermost thoughts , to the rest of the twitter World, who ever cared. nobody with any sense. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Oh those poor celebrities', however will they cope, it's a tragedy, poor diddum's, they must be wringing their little celebrity hands in desperation. The Pope chap must be especially upset, else who would know who he is? 

Has nothing to do with celebrities 

Twitter was a valuable news tool

In any major event, people go/went to Twitter for up to date news and updates

News organizations and trusted reporters had the Blue Check Mark

Now, something happens

An earthquake, shooting, whatever and you won't have these sources to rely on

8 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Thai news ? …. mmmmm. 

Thaiger News

Comment on Thailand news forums and discuss the latest news in Thailand and from around the World.

11 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Becoming a joke? Wasn't it always, long before Musk bought it. 

No

It has the easiest way to watch sports highlights/videos of news stories 

As I mentioned prior, it is invaluable when an event happens

If you follow journalists you are interested in, they often link to other reports/stories that I would otherwise never see

Lots of good and valuable things about Twitter 

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Has nothing to do with celebrities 

Now, something happens

Sorry mate, but none of that is true.  If you look to Twitter to provide your primary news feed then you truly are in trouble.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry mate, but none of that is true.  If you look to Twitter to provide your primary news feed then you truly are in trouble.  

I guess you have absolutely no idea what Twitter is.....

No need to discuss further with someone who doesn't have a clue what he's ranting on

One big negative about Musk's Twitter, for people that have actually used Twitter, is that customer service was excellent from company's on Twitter 

Now a lot of them are removing that aspect on Twitter 

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, Pinetree said:

IPeople whining , moaning, preaching, or pontificating, their innermost thoughts ,

Sounds like a description of us right here.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

One big negative about Musk's Twitter, for people that have actually used Twitter, is that customer service was excellent from company's on Twitter 

Now a lot of them are removing that aspect on Twitter 

Why would anyone contact Air France customer service or any other company's customer service via Twitter? It takes a few seconds to go directly to their website and find their customer service section, just as long as going on Twitter but without the risk of dealing with a fake Twitter account. Another mystery of nowadays' life to me.

23 minutes ago, Manu said:

Why would anyone contact Air France customer service or any other company's customer service via Twitter? It takes a few seconds to go directly to their website and find their customer service section, just as long as going on Twitter but without the risk of dealing with a fake Twitter account. Another mystery of nowadays' life to me.

Because in most cases you get replies far quicker than calling 

Especially so with airlines

But many other companies as well

And before Musk, you didn't have to worry about a fake account 

Even when you don't get a quick reply you aren't sitting on hold and can do other things while waiting for your answer 

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Because in most cases you get replies far quicker than calling 

Especially so with airlines

But many other companies as well

And before Musk, you didn't have to worry about a fake account 

Even when you don't get a quick reply you aren't sitting on hold and can do other things while waiting for your answer 

I very doubt so. All companies offer different ways to contact their customer services. Some even via Messenger or Whatspp (like Air France), and most offer a live chat, which is usually what I use and it is quasi always efficient and quick (never indeed I use the phone option as I cannot stand the "press 1", "press 3" etc...). Almost everyone are using those ways, not Twitter. I have personally never heard anyone using Twitter this way, I have 7 Twitter accounts linked to a dozen of my websites and it would not even cross my mind. Not sure why any customer service would put customer's request from Twitter ahead of any other contact options. Also, most requests to airlines for example need some kind of back and forth communication, which is not practical on Twitter. Maybe I am wrong. I doubt though.

9 minutes ago, Manu said:

I very doubt so. All companies offer different ways to contact their customer services. Some even via Messenger or Whatspp (like Air France), and most offer a live chat, which is usually what I use and it is quasi always efficient and quick (never indeed I use the phone option as I cannot stand the "press 1", "press 3" etc...). Almost everyone are using those ways, not Twitter. I have personally never heard anyone using Twitter this way, I have 7 Twitter accounts linked to a dozen of my websites and it would not even cross my mind. Not sure why any customer service would put customer's request from Twitter ahead of any other contact options. Also, most requests to airlines for example need some kind of back and forth communication, which is not practical on Twitter. Maybe I am wrong. I doubt though.

It is Private Messages the same WhatsApp

Except all the Major Companies in the world were on Twitter, not WhatsApp 

Although I do use LINE frequently in Asia to communicate with hotels, etc

5 minutes ago, Manu said:

I can tell you I never had an issue contacting a major company with a blue check mark on Twitter 

I must just be incredibly lucky.  😀

On 4/21/2023 at 11:01 PM, Marc26 said:

Now, something happens

Seems like social media platforms depend on certain age groups of the average user (screenshot from and article on Reuters new website.  

With almost 8 billion people in the globally only 396 million active users globally are on Twitter each month and only 21% of the US, 42% Canadian according to the statistics link here:

https://quantummarketer.com/twitter-statistics/

Seems like Facebook is much larger social media at 2 billion active users a month worldwide

Most of my worldwide friends are on Facebook due to my international work before I retired with some in the US probably having a Twitter account. Usually if one wants news a news website like Reuters and some others.

Many of the younger generation seem to be more into Tik Tok and my wife gets her news from this platform here in Thailand 😂?  My grandkids, 13 & 11, told my daughter that Facebook is for old people even though they have accounts too 🤣🤣 

Funny when I go back to the States for a visit some of my friends and relatives my age or even a bit younger are not even on any social media and still buy newspapers or just watch their favorite news channel on TV

IMG_9099.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Seems like social media platforms depend on certain age groups of the average user (screenshot from and article on Reuters new website.  

With almost 8 billion people in the globally only 396 million active users globally are on Twitter each month and only 21% of the US, 42% Canadian according to the statistics link here:

https://quantummarketer.com/twitter-statistics/

Seems like Facebook is much larger social media at 2 billion active users a month worldwide

Most of my worldwide friends are on Facebook due to my international work before I retired with some in the US probably having a Twitter account. Usually if one wants news a news website like Reuters and some others.

Many of the younger generation seem to be more into Tik Tok and my wife gets her news from this platform here in Thailand 😂?  My grandkids, 13 & 11, told my daughter that Facebook is for old people even though they have accounts too 🤣🤣 

Funny when I go back to the States for a visit some of my friends and relatives my age or even a bit younger are not even on any social media and still buy newspapers or just watch their favorite news channel on TV

IMG_9099.jpeg

I like all social media for certain things 

I like FB for keeping up with family and friends but don't go on it much

I LOVE TikTok because the algo feeds me all sorts of watches content. I love watches 

And at times i get random videos on a subject I would never seek out myself but then learn something 

Facebook definitely doesn't give you the up to minute updates that Twitter would

I don't even look for sport highlights anywhere but Twitter now

Simply because the videos are much easier to watch

Where as on a website like say ESPN, you need to wait for the video to load

On Twitter they come up right away

Another huge entity stopped using Twitter 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/27/tech/ny-mta-suspends-twitter-alerts/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2023-04-28T10%3A28%3A45&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN

• 3 weeks later...