News Forum - Thailand warns against public cannabis use, imposes fines and jail time

Thaiger

The Department of Health (DOH) under the Ministry of Public Health has issued a stern warning to the public about the legal ramifications of smoking cannabis in public spaces. The DOH has also notified local authorities to prepare for stricter enforcement against unsubstantiated casual events. Additionally, the public is encouraged to report any nuisance incidents …

The story Thailand warns against public cannabis use, imposes fines and jail time as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

whole rawai is smelling from this ignorant drugpeople. We (as well as lots of other families with kids) move out of phuket because of that. It's not under control. drugtourists with buns and no money are spreading to Phuket, as well as rude and aggressive russians. if phuket wants these people more than rich families, you know where it is going to: a drug driven ghetto. well done, thailand. well done. because most people will love to make their holiday in a ghetto of russia with drugs everywhere. xD What's next? Getting Refugees from syria and africa to take it to the next level? 

Edited by dumby
typo

5 hours ago, dumby said:

whole rawai is smelling from this ignorant drugpeople. We (as well as lots of other families with kids) move out of phuket because of that. It's not under control. drugtourists with buns and no money are spreading to Phuket, as well as rude and aggressive russians. if phuket wants these people more than rich families, you know where it is going to: a drug driven ghetto. well done, thailand. well done. because most people will love to make their holiday in a ghetto of russia with drugs everywhere. xD What's next? Getting Refugees from syria and africa to take it to the next level? 

I didn't smell much weed smoke in Kamala

BUT I did notice there seemed to be a lot of older, tattooed, low class Europeans there this last trip

And 2 friends that live, one a restaurant/bar owners summized there were a lot more of above because of the weed 

In Hua Hin, there are pockets of smokers, but very limited. The only time I  smelt it and was  able to identify who it was a few times when a solitary farang walked  by on a quiet soi,  trying to discreetly smoke a blunt.

14 hours ago, dumby said:

drugtourists with buns and no money are spreading to Phuket, as well as rude and aggressive russians. if phuket wants these people more than rich families, you know where it is going to: a drug driven ghetto.

"drugtourists with no money"? Have you seen the price of what's sold in those cannabis shops? Yeah, you need good money to be able to afford it. Far more expensive than alcohol. Not sure why cannabis smokers are mixed up by some with poverty or "ghetto": just a complete ingorance of the subject.

Also a cannabis smoker is the opposite of aggressive, as opposed to drunk people who are very often just that. Phuket has forever attracted people who go there to get wasted with alcoohol: those are amongst the aggressive people. If anything, replacing these aggressive drunk people by peaceful cannabis smokers is a good thing. But it seems you prefer the drunks then.

Not sure what the Russians have to do with cannabis, I guess this is another matter not related to this topic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I didn't smell much weed smoke in Kamala

BUT I did notice there seemed to be a lot of older, tattooed, low class Europeans there this last trip

And 2 friends that live, one a restaurant/bar owners summized there were a lot more of above because of the weed 

What does "low class Europeans" ever mean? And if you have "noticed" some, how do you relate them with  weed smoking ?

A liter of Hong Thong: 300-400 bths.

1 gram of weed: from 200 up to 900 bths (here is one example of a shop in BKK but it is the same where I am https://cloudninethailand.com/menu/).

Not sure how people can judge if someone is "low class" or not but at these prices, it is very easy to judge that the "low class" are not quite the new weed smokers but more the many drunks that have been flooded horrible Phuket for so many years.

And if I was a "low class European" who wants to smoke good stuff legally, I would do a cheap trip to Holland, Spain or Portugal, not a long very expensive one to Phuket - not that "low" for a start if you can afford a flight to Thailand those days.

• Like 2

So what is the definition of public? Technically my back yard is private, but the smoke does travel, so is this against the law? I can just see them villifying it more and trying to back track and going out of their way to arrest people when it is not an evil.

10 hours ago, Manu said:

What does "low class Europeans" ever mean? And if you have "noticed" some, how do you relate them with  weed smoking ?

A liter of Hong Thong: 300-400 bths.

1 gram of weed: from 200 up to 900 bths (here is one example of a shop in BKK but it is the same where I am https://cloudninethailand.com/menu/).

Not sure how people can judge if someone is "low class" or not but at these prices, it is very easy to judge that the "low class" are not quite the new weed smokers but more the many drunks that have been flooded horrible Phuket for so many years.

And if I was a "low class European" who wants to smoke good stuff legally, I would do a cheap trip to Holland, Spain or Portugal, not a long very expensive one to Phuket - not that "low" for a start if you can afford a flight to Thailand those days.

I'm just relaying what people who have lived there for a long time

Low class

All shitty tattoos, shitty clothes

No manners 

They look like low class bums 

• Like 2

I can’t, for the life of me, see how this is a good piece of legislation. The idea that tourists would flock to Thailand on the basis of its relaxation of laws regarding the use of cannabis will only be realized if they remove the conditions on its use.

Why would any stoner shell out the price of air fare on top other the other expenses to enjoy the identical he/she can experience at home i.e. a toke in the privacy of your home. Surely the real attraction has little to do with the acquisition of dope legally and everything to do with where you smoke it.

Edited by Khunmark
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Khunmark said:

I can’t, for the life of me, see how this is a good piece of legislation. The idea that tourists would flock to Thailand on the basis of its relaxation of laws regarding the use of cannabis will only be realized if they remove the conditions on its use.

Why would any stoner shell out the price of air fare on top other the other expenses to enjoy the identical he/she can experience at home i.e. a toke in the privacy of your home. Surely the real attraction has little to do with the acquisition of dope legally and everything to do with where you smoke it.

Presumably it's just a bonus of being in Thailand. Can buy weed easily. 

Plus, there's many places where laws on public smoking don't matter. 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, Marc26 said:

I'm just relaying what people who have lived there for a long time

I know plenty of ex-pats who have lived here for a long time (longer than I) but still have no clue and talk BS all the time. I do not see any point for "relaying" whoever says something on an online forum unless this is something I have also seen with my own eyes.

Low class

All shitty tattoos, shitty clothes

No manners 

They look like low class bums 

Still do not understand... I know and have met plenty of well mannered (and wealthy) people whom do not care what they wear, an old t-shirt and a pair of flip flop would do. And I also know and have met many well dressed people who are complete A**** with no manner whatsoever. As for the word "bums"... either you are one or not,  but "looking like" one??? It seems to be a very bad way to judge people, that is if you feel that you have any right to do so.

Just a last little question: so if you feel qualified to judge some people as being "low class", does that mean you consider/judge yourself as "high class"?

• Like 1

Whats the problem if you smell someone smoking weed? Why even care?

Personally I don't smoke it but I really don't care if someone else does.

Does walking past one of the open sewers which are prevalent here in Thailand set your hair on fire? No. You just get on with it.

Live and let live guys. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Does walking past one of the open sewers which are prevalent here in Thailand set your hair on fire? No. You just get on with it.

Live and let live guys. 

Great comparaison there. Well said.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Live and let live guys. 

Most all just couldn’t care less. It is the self righteous complainers who think everything they think or follow makes their poop not stink. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Live and let live guys. 

Give me the smell of weed over the smell of the drains in Thailand any day.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, dumby said:

There was also a story on another forum that somebody a few days ago went into a restaurant in Phuket to order some food, by accident was not given what he ordered, but food full of drugs which he did not order, and he ended up in hospital.  Eventually, the restaurant agreed to repay him the hospital costs (18.000 THB if I remember correctly)

Edited by MPK