News Forum - Buddhist monks brawl at funeral in northeast Thailand

Thaiger

Tensions were high at a funeral in Surin province in northeast Thailand on Friday when a brawl broke out between two saffron-robed Buddhist monks, allegedly over a plastic chair. Yesterday, the acting abbot of Wat Pho Sri Sawang Arom, Phra Toi Kan, told reporters what happened at the temple on Friday. In Thailand, Buddhist funeral …

The story Buddhist monks brawl at funeral in northeast Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These are some of the Examples of people who loose faith, a commoner or a child in this function, what do they think about the monks?

when you look at this deep, you will find something which the commoner has the monks too have it, 1) jealousy 2) Greed for Money 3) Greed for fame.

All Three were forbidden when attained monkhood, however, these monks did not learn it. 

In Essence, Society blames the people who brought this monk to Monk hood, Teachers.

If the Teachers would have taught proper discipline, such incidents would have far reduced.

Just stop giving money to them. All donations must be given to the temple and not to the individual monks including the head monk. Monks should not hold any asset under their name. They have to only walk for their journey. Cannot take other means of transport. They have to carry all their belongings wherever they go. No assistance should be provided by any means. Just live like the holy Buddha.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalyan said:

These are some of the Examples of people who loose faith, a commoner or a child in this function, what do they think about the monks?

when you look at this deep, you will find something which the commoner has the monks too have it, 1) jealousy 2) Greed for Money 3) Greed for fame.

All Three were forbidden when attained monkhood, however, these monks did not learn it. 

In Essence, Society blames the people who brought this monk to Monk hood, Teachers.

If the Teachers would have taught proper discipline, such incidents would have far reduced.

I have no time for Monks, Priests, Gurus, Mullahs, Vicars, or any others that wander about in that fairyland World of mystic BS.  They are often hypocrites, but certainly deluded, in one way or another, some can even be described as evil.  Steer clear of them all  is my advice. 

A personal view of course. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

All donations must be given to the temple

Why, they give nothing back, Covid showed us all that, in spades. 

4 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Why, they give nothing back, Covid showed us all that, in spades. 

The problem is most of the donations are hold by the monks in the temple and it is not subjected to public scrutiny. So no one knows how much cash is held by them till they are gone forever. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

The problem is most of the donations are hold by the monks in the temple and it is not subjected to public scrutiny. So no one knows how much cash is held by them till they are gone forever. 

So true.  It's the iPhone 13s ,riding around in Mercs and Business/First Class with Thai Airways that gets my goat, brazen corruption for all to see.  

“There are none so blind as those that will not see.”  or words to that effect;  Jonathan Swift. 

• Like 1

I think it was my 2nd visit to Thailand and with my now wife

We went to a Temple and she had to sit behind me as the Monk chanted to me..........

I just was incredulous, that she was treated as sort of a 2nd class citizen to a foriegner

I don't like any religions

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I have no time for Monks, Priests, Gurus, Mullahs, Vicars, or any others that wander about in that fairyland World of mystic BS.  They are often hypocrites, but certainly deluded, in one way or another, some can even be described as evil.  Steer clear of them all  is my advice. 

Time will tell as to whether your view is correct. 

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Time will tell as to whether your view is correct. 

2000 years since a bunch of Greeks jumbled up Buddhist teachings with yet another Middle Eastern messianic cult, 1400 years since some illiterate paranoid schizophrenic started dictating the voices in his head to some scribes... plenty of time, still nothing happening.

• Like 2

Religious people are just lazy in their interpretation of the world we live in, “ah it says this in my holy book so I don’t have to think it must be correct”

Abuse by the religious leaders is rife in every religion just look at the monks here in Thailand or the catholic priests practicing child abuse around the world or the medieval rulers of Iran or Afghanistan it’s a sad state of affairs while we are living in the 21st century and if people would only take the time to educate themselves on the world around us and the jaw dropping discoveries being made constantly, I see no hand of any stupid religion in any of it. 

• Like 1

It’s pretty easy to take pot shots at the church because its short comings are well documented. There was a time, when, before the welfare state the church, housed, clothed and fed people. In places like Thailand, the temple is still the provider of last resort and is integral to the social fabric.

Edited by Khunmark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 12:48 AM, Grumpish said:

2000 years since a bunch of Greeks jumbled up Buddhist teachings with yet another Middle Eastern messianic cult, 1400 years since some illiterate paranoid schizophrenic started dictating the voices in his head to some scribes... plenty of time, still nothing happening.

I lived close to Pantip Plaza Bkk for many years and went to PP nearly every day for business. Dozens of timesI saw monks buying videos of nude young girls/women showing and playing with their genitals...

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:41 AM, HiuMak said:

Monks in Business class seats, wearing rolexes and driving mercedes benz.

Even saw a robed monk seated in bus. class on TG. Passenger with boarding pass for adjoining seat told 'cannot sit in next seat'. Bus. section full, passenger told 'go sit in economy'. It was an evening flight, monk accepted and ate the dinner and asked for more food. 

• Like 1