No foreign tourists to arrive tomorrow, the first day of “Samui Plus” reopening

Thaiger

9 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Sinovac already is ineffective against variants. ??

< deleted alternate medical advice >

Edited by KaptainRob
Potentially dangerous advice against iLaws

The lesson is repeated until its learned Thailand

have you seen the light that maybe people wont come just cos you "allow" them to

that maybe we wont jump thru ridiculous hoops like a trained dog in a circus???

The chinese you said long ago would rush in to save you...nope

Then investors....nada

Hoping this will be a lesson learned but pretty sure will never be die to the useless concept of "saving face"

7 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

The lesson is repeated until its learned Thailand

have you seen the light that maybe people wont come just cos you "allow" them to

that maybe we wont jump thru ridiculous hoops like a trained dog in a circus???

The chinese you said long ago would rush in to save you...nope

Then investors....nada

Hoping this will be a lesson learned but pretty sure will never be die to the useless concept of "saving face"

Seems to take them forever to be logical 

Of course we aren't coming.  Even if we are vaccinated, most of the locals haven't been able to get vaccinated.  Vaccines aren't 100% preventative and with Thailand in such bad shape why would foreigners risk it?  Vaccines are like raincoats.  If you wear one and it is lightly raining you'll probably be fine but if it is pouring you're going to get wet.
Until the government gets the vaccine rollout in working order, and the people get the vaccines that they need, tourism will be next to nil.  Also, the mere idea on not testing migrant workers could give foreigners the idea that the entire situation is being mismanaged.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JenKat said:

Most people will wait until the restrictions are lifted, PM Chan-o-cha has said mid October or earlier if the vaccination drive goes as well as expected. Might end up being next year before that actually happens!!!!

There is a whole post and discussion on when the pandemic will finish - every year from 2022 to 2024 is accounted for - but obviously no one knows.  I think early/mid 2023.

As to when Thailand will 'open up' that is also a contentious issue of debate in other posts too - I believe that Thailand will not fully open up until mid/late 2022. But they will desperately try and keep Phuket and Samui open for as long as possible.  The vaccinations and daily new cases/deaths will be the key issues driving those decisions - and of course the loss of income. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

There is a whole post and discussion on when the pandemic will finish - every year from 2022 to 2024 is accounted for - but obviously no one knows.  I think early/mid 2023.

As to when Thailand will 'open up' that is also a contentious issue of debate in other posts too - I believe that Thailand will not fully open up until mid/late 2022. But they will desperately try and keep Phuket and Samui open for as long as possible.  The vaccinations and daily new cases/deaths will be the key issues driving those decisions - and of course the loss of income. 

I think Phuket (and then Samui, then Hua Hin) will be spun as successes as a stepping stone to opening up the country.

That has to be done. We have to learn to live with CV19 (and it's successors) and get life back to something resembling normality.

IMO vaccination is the step from seeing boarded up pubs to being able to be part of a 70,000 crowd at a sporting event.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I think Phuket (and then Samui, then Hua Hin) will be spun as successes as a stepping stone to opening up the country.

That has to be done. We have to learn to live with CV19 (and it's successors) and get life back to something resembling normality.

IMO vaccination is the step from seeing boarded up pubs to being able to be part of a 70,000 crowd at a sporting event.

Very true mate - and that is why Thailand is so desperate to make them a success. If they remain open then Thailand will open earlier - if they have to be shutdown, then Thailand will open much later. 

All over the world, each country will need to make the decision as to at what point between boarded up pubs and football crowds, that they will open things up. As you say - it will be vaccinations that will be the main driver in those decisions.

Australia has made it clear that they wish to remain an island (pun intended) against C19, and we are severely restricted from overseas travel, as are those overseas wishing to come here. The Govt has said this will not change until early 2022, but may be extended if things do not improve worldwide.  China meanwhile has apparently banned its citizens leaving the country until mid/end 2022, again with rare exemptions.  The main reason is that there has been many documented cases of people travelling overseas and catching Covid but being asymptomatic, and then upon their return they pass the infection on to other people. 

Overall, it will be a matter of how things are going worldwide that will dictate things in each country. People will only be allowed to travel who are vaccinated - not for their benefit - so that they are less likely to catch it and bring it back. Certain countries will be 'allowed' and others 'blacklisted' - both in and out. It will be many years before open and free international travel is allowed - maybe even decades. China will be one of those countries that are last to be 'approved' - including those countries that open their borders to China when others are still closed. If too many people come back from Thailand with Covid version 6 in 2023, then Thailand will be blacklisted. Thailand might have to decide - are they happy with Chinese tourists only for some years - are do they want western tourists as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stonker said:
9 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

"Despite fierce fighting in Southern Thailand, the fighting lasted only five hours before ending in a ceasefire"

A minor point, but it was actually 32 hours at Ao Manao beach, by which time 42 of the 140 Thai airmen and auxiliaries defending the base had been killed, including a15 year old Boy Scout who re-supplying the forward troops with ammunition and the Air Wing commander's pregnant wife, and 27 wounded.

The Japanese Division that outnumbered them by over twenty to one on the ground admitted to 115 killed at the time, although they later put it at 217 killed with over 300 wounded.

I don't want to de-rail the thread, but its invidious for those who've not served in combat to criticise those who have, whatever their nationality or actions.

Having googled that, I can see the reason it went on longer at Manao beach was because they were unaware of the capitulation.
source:  https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/09/08/33-hours-of-defiance-the-thai-airmen-who-resisted-an-empire/

I'm not sure who you see as invidious - me for my post or the wiki excerpt I quoted "the fighting lasted only five hours" which is attributed to a book by Brecher & Wilkenfeld: A Study of Crisis (1997)

Well as of last week no hotel prices had been finalised on the compulsory hotel booking site for samui so we won't see the trickle that may come for another couple of weeks at least. Not very well organised and more restrictions than Phuket so not surprising that only 4 people arriving tomorrow!!!!

Very sad for the struggling businesses and unemployed people that this affects but buying submarines and approving space exploration seems to be more important than sorting out vaccine shortages and system deficiencies. Covid is a challenging situation for all governments and they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't but at least prioritise a vaccine rollout and make it happen instead of all the lame excuses and jobs for the cronies etc etc!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Having googled that, I can see the reason it went on longer at Manao beach was because they were unaware of the capitulation.
source:  https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/09/08/33-hours-of-defiance-the-thai-airmen-who-resisted-an-empire/

Actually they were aware, as they'd been given a telegram from the Ministry of the Interior ordering them to cease fire and telling them that a cease fire had  been arranged, brought in by the village postman during a lull in the battle, but the commander, Wing Commander Mom Luang Prawat Chumsai, thought it was a trick.

The Khaosod article is reasonably accurate, but the letter he was finally given from the PM ordering them to cease fire wasn't given to Prawat by the Japanese but by the provincial undersecretary, Jarunphan Isarangun na Ayutthaya, who drove in under a flag of truce.

Prawat also didn't "exchange bayonets" with the Japanese commander, as Khaosod reported, but he surrendered his bayonet in lieu of a sword as he didn't have one handy, and as an unusual sign of respect the Japanese commander gave Prawat his own bayonet in return.

3 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I'm not sure who you see as invidious - me for my post or the wiki excerpt I quoted "the fighting lasted only five hours" which is attributed to a book by Brecher & Wilkenfeld: A Study of Crisis (1997)

My "invidious" observation was aimed at those who commented that "Thailand always stayed neutral", "if they were involved in a war they'd all run away", that "talking of running away ... the Thai army government couldn't find the prime minister" and anyone who 'liked' those comments.

If the cap fits .....

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

This is what annoys me. Thais receive a $6500 reduction. Imagine the scream if a Thai in a London hotel had to pay $6500 more than the British.

Actually 6,500 baht, not $.

While I'm not a supporter of dual pricing (nor do I think it's worth getting upset about and I've never noticed it), only last month the UK launched the "Tourism Recovery Plan" which offers Brits (but not tourists)  discounted rail fares and tickets for tourist attractions, aimed exclusively at domestic tourism.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear many Thais in London hotels screaming about it when that was introduced as government policy.

7 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Maybe you're looking for the wrong light, and you haven't realised that most Thais don't want you to come yet, and this is nothing more than a failed attempt by the powers that be to buy time from the hoteliers so that they're seen to be doing something.

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

While I'm not a supporter of dual pricing (nor do I think it's worth getting upset about and I've never noticed it), only last month the UK launched the "Tourism Recovery Plan" which offers Brits (but not tourists)  discounted rail fares and tickets for tourist attractions, aimed exclusively at domestic tourism.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear many Thais in London hotels screaming about it when that was introduced as government policy.

Yes right. B6500 not $6500.

As for the discounted fares for tourist attractions and discounted fares, there is no stipulation that the buyer must be British. These prices are open to everyone including Thais, which in Thailand would be only available to Thais in a similar scheme. You find one deal that is only available to the British - and let me know.

The only exception that I can see, is maybe the London Oyster travel card.

16000 baht for test and medical fees, they should be happy that 4 tourists will arrive. 1.5k USD for tests for 3 members family. You must be kidding.

3 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Yes right. B6500 not $6500.

As for the discounted fares for tourist attractions and discounted fares, there is no stipulation that the buyer must be British. These prices are open to everyone including Thais, which in Thailand would be only available to Thais in a similar scheme. You find one deal that is only available to the British - and let me know.

The only exception that I can see, is maybe the London Oyster travel card.

I still can't hear those screams ..... ☺

Look on the bright side, they won't need to pay all the Airline staff at the Airport they only need 1 or 2 if only 30 tourists flew in yesterday and none today.

14 hours ago, Xaos said:

Vaccines won't stop it in fact make it worse as we can see in most vaxed states

Except more people get infected because more contact is possible, like pubs, restaurants, disco's...
But the number of people needing medical treatment and being admitted is going down thanks to vaccination

Just now, Alavan said:

Except more people get infected because more contact is possible, like pubs, restaurants, disco's...
But the number of people needing medical treatment and being admitted is going down thanks to vaccination

Thats what MSM tells you and you believe it. Real world ? is bit different

4 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Oh and this. There's a lot of that. In fact more vaxed dies and are in hospitals then unvaxed. Got lots of data graphs on it from UK etc. They even admit it on tv.

IMG_20210715_020742_805.jpg

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well I have asked you to point out where the tourist recovery plan, which you state offers Brits, but not tourists discounts.

I am sure you have pounded the keyboard by now to find an example and failed. So you were WRONG. The Brits are not discriminating against Thais. This is why there has been no Thais screaming about the matter in London hotels - they have no cause to.

However if a new similar tourist recovery discount plan was to be introduced in Thailand you know very well it would be for Thais only.

Engage brain before typing rubbish next time.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

I still can't hear those screams ..... ☺

In Phuket you mean not in the UK.

Well in Phuket they would certainly be justified from tourist suffering Thai scams.