Jump to content

News Forum - Apple making big move to Thailand as production shifts from China


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Late last year, news broke that Apple Inc. was planning to shift production from China to Thailand, it now appears that this move is becoming a reality. According to a report by Nikkei today, the multinational technology company based in California is currently in discussions with suppliers regarding the manufacturing of MacBooks in Thailand, as …

The story Apple making big move to Thailand as production shifts from China as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's see as is a good move to get away from CCP China. Now if it is going to be a transplant Chinese factory on Thai soil, then it is perpetrating a great lie and not many will fall for it. If they are going to do it, then cut it clean having all association with any Chinese ownership that will always have that no choice connection to the the CCP. Time to turn up the flame and deflate the CCP's power and any reliance on China products.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Let's see as is a good move to get away from CCP China. Now if it is going to be a transplant Chinese factory on Thai soil, then it is perpetrating a great lie and not many will fall for it. If they are going to do it, then cut it clean having all association with any Chinese ownership that will always have that no choice connection to the the CCP. Time to turn up the flame and deflate the CCP's power and any reliance on China products.

Not thought of it that way, that they might just transplant both the Chinese factories and workers (and as we have seen, the Chinese are very adept at circumventing the rules on foreign workers and ownership, legally or otherwise). While the big corporates like Apple may publicly wring their hands about doing business with countries with dubious human rights records, in practice they don't give a s**t - the drivers behind this are the one that the article points out, increasing trade tensions between the US and China, and the realisation that having all your eggs on one basket is a very bad idea, following the disruption caused by China's prolonged Covid shutdown.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Foxxcon is a Taiwan company, their profits dont stay in China, only their taxes. It's become too expensive to manufacture in China, pay rates have gone from 900yuan three years ago to 2,000+ now per month.

That's all there is to it. No thought of politics.

Sorry!

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Media/foxconn-china-assembly-workers-receive-pay-raise/story?id=10846341

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Foxxcon is a Taiwan company, their profits dont stay in China, only their taxes. It's become too expensive to manufacture in China, pay rates have gone from 900yuan three years ago to 2,000+ now per month.

That's all there is to it. No thought of politics.

Sorry!

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Media/foxconn-china-assembly-workers-receive-pay-raise/story?id=10846341

US$300 a month wage is pittance to a company selling millions of finished products. 

Check the annual increase of price for an Apple phone for the last ten years. 

Probably much more than the annual wage increase percentages by far.

Or Apple (racing against time) see the writing on the wall of massive retaliation from the west IF China are stupid enough to invade Taiwan.

(Personally think they are that stupid) 🙃

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, palooka said:

US$300 a month wage is pittance to a company selling millions of finished products. 

Check the annual increase of price for an Apple phone for the last ten years. 

Probably much more than the annual wage increase percentages by far.

Or Apple (racing against time) see the writing on the wall of massive retaliation from the west IF China are stupid enough to invade Taiwan.

(Personally think they are that stupid) 🙃

I agree. Taiwan companies are in panic mode now seeking to diversify into safe countries. Taiwan corporate compact can't afford to have their assets seized as was done with western companies during Covid. For reference sake, pre covid much of the western world's general medical supplies were sourced from China. When Covid arrived, the PRChina seized factories and inventories for its own use. (in fairness, USA tried to do similar, and EU tried to do this with vaccine. Both backed down when they realized  tit for tat reprisals would hurt all parties. China did not.) This is the reason why the countries have invested billions into the medical supplies sector.  It is why we see it  spread to  other critical activities.

 The CHIPS and Science Act signed into law by President Joe Biden on August 9, 2022 provides approx US$280 billion in new funding to boost domestic research and manufacturing of semiconductors in the United States. It will indirectly benefit the EU, Israel and Canada with  spinoffs of R&D. It ill also protect the free world from Chinese domination in the sector.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 2

      News Forum - Friends assault teenager, anger over harmless message to Thai ex

    2. 4

      News Forum - Elderly woman abducted and sexually assaulted by drug addict

    3. 4

      News Forum - Monk arrested for sexually assulting seven year old niece

    4. 0

      Thaiger Talk Quiz #266 - Which year did it open?

    5. 57

      News Forum - Thailand ranks 32nd globally for Muslim travel

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use