News Forum - Phuket police arrest Ukrainian woman for spray painting slogans at viewpoint

Thaiger

Phuket police yesterday morning arrested a Ukrainian woman for spray painting slogans critical of Russia at a popular viewpoint. The 34 year old woman spray painted “#Russia is a terrorist state,” and “#Russia” on rocks and a bench at Khao Khad Viewpoint in the Wichit sub-district of Phuket’s main city district. Wichit Police tracked the …

The story Phuket police arrest Ukrainian woman for spray painting slogans at viewpoint as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket police yesterday morning arrested a Ukrainian woman for spray painting slogans critical of Russia at a popular viewpoint. The 34 year old woman spray painted “#Russia is a terrorist state,” and “#Russia” on rocks and a bench at Khao Khad Viewpoint in the Wichit sub-district of Phuket’s main city district. Wichit Police tracked the …

The story Phuket police arrest Ukrainian woman for spray painting slogans at viewpoint as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"He added that while people have the right to express their opinions and thoughts..."

Since when? Did I miss something?

And then all that quality Russian money flowing into TH. Nope, they don't want to put that at risk.

This woman deserves respect of all the none quality tourists.😎

My thoughts are with her and the raped, butchered, maimed Ukrainian people.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I fully support Ukraine's struggle against an (again) emerging communist bully... BUT... This is not Thailand's war and defacing anything at any time is an anathema that should never be tolerated. Want to do the right thing? Sneak into Russia and tag the Kremlin's walls with this message.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Viggen840 said:

I fully support Ukraine's struggle against an (again) emerging communist bully... BUT... This is not Thailand's war and defacing anything at any time is an anathema that should never be tolerated. Want to do the right thing? Sneak into Russia and tag the Kremlin's walls with this message.

I don't defend the vandalism and consider her a stupid selfish woman. What she did was wrong.  However, to say that this is not Thailand's war as a way of  not involving Thailand is repugnant. Thailand is profiting from the pariah status of Russians. The Russians are not welcome to launder their ill gotten money in the free world. Nor are  the Russian war machine personnel on R&R  welcome in the free world. Thailand welcomes them all. A Russian responsible for war crimes can easily enter Thailand.  Russia has imposed exit restrictions on dissidents and people it believes may defect. Instead, Russia rewards it's loyalists with access to  holiday destinations in Thailand.  It seems that Thailand doesn't care who it lets in from Russia as long as they have money.

The Rwandan genocide wasn't the western world's war. Nor was the Bosnian war and genocide. And yet the western world intervened to end the horror.  Thailand had an opportunity to stand up and say, the invasion was illegal and wrong. Thailand had the opportunity to say it does not support the war and banned Russians from entry. Thailand wanted the money instead.  

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Vigo said:

It seems that Thailand doesn't care who it lets in from Russia as long as they have money.

At the moment, I believe (from what I read) Thailand would accept contagious lepers as long as they had money. Everyone is desperate to get back on the money train following the covid scamdemic and TAT is making as much noise as it can to drum up tourism. That doesn't mean I abide a bunch of semi-communist Russians lobbing in and taking over.

Like you say, Vigo, her actions were despicable and she deserves no sympathy for whatever punishment is meted out to her.

• Like 2

There is no defence for defacing property but maybe if Thailand were not so money grubbing in letting the Russians launder their money this would not have happened.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Russia is a pariah state. Why does Thailand let them in?

Money is the short answer.

It reflects badly upon the Thai government though.

• Like 3

NOT ACCEPTABLE.   Bad Intentions, Since this is a public place and Russians too come here, she want to irritate people.

Will she dare to this in public place in Ukraine ?  Singapore ? Malaysia ?

When Tourist come to other countries, they should conduct and abide by the Practices and Laws of the Country they came to visit, not to destroy their origin country name.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kalyan said:

NOT ACCEPTABLE.   Bad Intentions, Since this is a public place and Russians too come here, she want to irritate people.

Will she dare to this in public place in Ukraine ?  Singapore ? Malaysia ?

When Tourist come to other countries, they should conduct and abide by the Practices and Laws of the Country they came to visit, not to destroy their origin country name.

I strongly suspect that if you have friends and family killed by Russias brutal and illegal invasion local laws regarding graffiti pale in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, kalyan said:

Will she dare to this in public place in Malaysia ?

In Malaysia it is simple and straight forward.....You respect us and we respect you. The moment you cross the line, then you are asking for trouble. "Your freedom ends at my nose tip"🤣. Try to do that in Malaysia.....No need police, but the people around you will take "Good Care of You"🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

In Malaysia it is simple and straight forward.....You respect us and we respect you. The moment you cross the line, then you are asking for trouble. "Your freedom ends at my nose tip"🤣. Try to do that in Malaysia.....No need police, but the people around you will take "Good Care of You"🤣

Given the human rights record Malaysia has I'm not sure that's a model we should be following.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Given the human rights record Malaysia has I'm not sure that's a model we should be following.

The act of vandalism has nothing to do with human rights. No human has the right damage public property.  Everyone has the right to express their views. But not vandalize public property. If she really wanted to show her anger, then she can go and hang herself. That is the best way for her to show her frustrations.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

The act of vandalism has nothing to do with human rights. No human has the right damage public property.  Everyone has the right to express their views. But not vandalize public property. If she really wanted to show her anger, then she can go and hang herself. That is the best way for her to show her frustrations.  

So the only acceptable form of protest is suicide?

Get a grip.

• Like 4

So she spent 3 months enjoying Thailand and it's hospitality - and just days before she was scheduled to leave she did this. No doubt thought she could just get away with it by flying out. Extremely selfish behavior. Well, I guess look at the bright side - she's not going back to a warzone anytime soon - defacing public property with graffiti carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail in Thailand. Unlikely they'll just let her go with a slap on the wrist.

• Like 1

Wichit Police tracked the woman down through CCTV footage

Did she not see the cameras all over the tower area? The bench is in full view of one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Did she not see the cameras all over the tower area? The bench is in full view of one!

Plenty of tourists underestimate Thailand's ability to catch (footage of) crime. She no doubt thought she could get away with it and just fly out a few days later before they catch her. Well, wrong.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I strongly suspect that if you have friends and family killed by Russias brutal and illegal invasion local laws regarding graffiti pale in comparison.

Don't they have women in the Ukrainian army? She is 34... If I had friends and familly killed by anyone, I would certainly not go on a 3 months holiday on the beautiful beaches of Thailand.

On 4/8/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations Phuket for hosting such people. This is just the beginning

Most crimes in Phuket were committed by the russians, mostly robberies. Still they keep flooding there

Nearly every day Russian tourists destroy 7/11 shops, steal in supermarkets, drive drunk, fight with security, with other tourists, rob banks and exchange currency shops, commit murders and work illegally in Thailand, and they still keep coming to Thailand. Top criminals among all tourists in Phuket, according recent article.

1 hour ago, anandra said:

Most crimes in Phuket were committed by the russians, mostly robberies. Still they keep flooding there

Got some stats to back up that big claim there? 

1 hour ago, anandra said:

Nearly every day Russian tourists destroy 7/11 shops, steal in supermarkets, drive drunk, fight with security, with other tourists, rob banks and exchange currency shops, commit murders and work illegally in Thailand, and they still keep coming to Thailand. Top criminals among all tourists in Phuket, according recent article.

I'm fairly sure that if Russian tourists were robbing banks and murdering people nearly every day, it would be in the news by now. 

Just saying something on t'internet enough times doesn't make it true. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Don't they have women in the Ukrainian army? She is 34... If I had friends and familly killed by anyone, I would certainly not go on a 3 months holiday on the beautiful beaches of Thailand.

So at 34 she probably has kids. Most likely the reason she is not in the Ukrainian army.

Good to see you are doing your best to support Putin and his brutal illegal invasion though.

• Like 2