News Forum - Koh Samui: The secret island gem of Southeast Asia’s hospitality scene

Thaiger

Over the past week, we have been compiling our latest hospitality, tourism, and hotel research on Thailand’s second-largest island, Koh Samui. The island remains a bit of a ‘little-big’ anomaly in Southeast Asia’s massive resort island arsenal. Despite hosting famed global hotel brands such as Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, W, InterContinental, and Banyan Tree, its smallish …

The story Koh Samui: The secret island gem of Southeast Asia’s hospitality scene as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Promotional article only. If Phuket is say a 9/10, KS is barely a 1. Decaying Dump of a place.
Which explains the lack of tourist recovery growth more than its small airport which could easily handle say 20 incoming flights daily but no surprise the demand just isn’t there when Phuket and Krabi exist.

Demand isn't there?

It's been one of the top destination in Thailand for decades 

But I sort of agree with about Samui 

It is kind of a dump

The ring road is congested so kills Amy Island vibe

Almost all the coastline is blocked by buildings

And I agree with you again about Krabi

It's fantastic!

I was just there last month 

Samui has all the services of Phuket and Pattaya, with much better beaches. It also offers somewhat easier access with a pleasant airport experience. Yes, it is crowded and  in some places dirty, but it is less stressful than Pattaya and Phuket to which it is comparable. 

Krabi does not offer the full service facilities of Samui. Oh sure there is the beauty of Railay  beach, but on some days, you can barely set foot on the beach it is so crowded and the noise from the long tail boats is awful. the point of the article isn't to compare  destinations, but to instead promote the island.

I avoid Koh Samui because I think it is crowded and over priced, but I avoid Phuket and Pattaya too. I prefer small town Thailand, like Hua Hin or Sam Roi Yot,  but that's me. I also like Ubon Ratchathani and Udon Thani  capital cities too and I am sure there are some who loathe the cities for being too provincial and too quiet. For young people 20-30, Koh Samui is fun in the sun, filled with action and  excitement. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vigo said:

Samui has all the services of Phuket and Pattaya, with much better beaches. It also offers somewhat easier access with a pleasant airport experience. Yes, it is crowded and  in some places dirty, but it is less stressful than Pattaya and Phuket to which it is comparable. 

Krabi does not offer the full service facilities of Samui. Oh sure there is the beauty of Railay  beach, but on some days, you can barely set foot on the beach it is so crowded and the noise from the long tail boats is awful. the point of the article isn't to compare  destinations, but to instead promote the island.

I avoid Koh Samui because I think it is crowded and over priced, but I avoid Phuket and Pattaya too. I prefer small town Thailand, like Hua Hin or Sam Roi Yot,  but that's me. I also like Ubon Ratchathani and Udon Thani  capital cities too and I am sure there are some who loathe the cities for being too provincial and too quiet. For young people 20-30, Koh Samui is fun in the sun, filled with action and  excitement. 

I wouldn't say Samui has better beaches than Phuket 

Many of Phuket's beaches have much clearer water than Samui

As for Krabi

I like that you can drive 10mins outside Ao Nang and be in a pretty peaceful area

Also I will say

I was in Ao Nang last month 

Busiest I have ever seen it 

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't say Samui has better beaches than Phuket 

Many of Phuket's beaches have much clearer water than Samui

As for Krabi

I like that you can drive 10mins outside Ao Nang and be in a pretty peaceful area

Also I will say

I was in Ao Nang last month 

Busiest I have ever seen it 

For Ao Nang. Wha country seemed to be the majority of tourists, and did you buy a suit on the main street? I was there last year in June and it was too much taken over from how I last remembered it. For Samui I haven’t been back there in over 30yrs, so I would think I would be disappointed of how it went south and was over built. Used to be utopia. Cannot now fathom it being a gem as the title suggests. Now Patong is ruined as well, but other places in Phuket and outside of Ao Nang in Krabi are very nice. Am planning my next trip with my kids for June again. But avoiding the India and Middle East tourist areas. 

11 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

For Ao Nang. Wha country seemed to be the majority of tourists, and did you buy a suit on the main street? I was there last year in June and it was too much taken over from how I last remembered it. For Samui I haven’t been back there in over 30yrs, so I would think I would be disappointed of how it went south and was over built. Used to be utopia. Cannot now fathom it being a gem as the title suggests. Now Patong is ruined as well, but other places in Phuket and outside of Ao Nang in Krabi are very nice. Am planning my next trip with my kids for June again. But avoiding the India and Middle East tourist areas. 

I would say the main tourists were young Westerners

I don't actually ever go on that main street

I stay up the road from McDonald's and stay on that street to eat and drink 

I love Ao Nang, I like to stay at the Tourist police station end of the main street, in the little laneway right on the beachfront (several resort/hotels there).

I walk on the walkway on the beach side of the main road avoiding the hawkers (not to many of them really) and have a great time at the Crazy Gringo Restaurant.

Plenty of food and music options without too much of the Pattaya vibe (if you know what I mean).

5 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I love Ao Nang, I like to stay at the Tourist police station end of the main street, in the little laneway right on the beachfront (several resort/hotels there).

I walk on the walkway on the beach side of the main road avoiding the hawkers (not to many of them really) and have a great time at the Crazy Gringo Restaurant.

Plenty of food and music options without too much of the Pattaya vibe (if you know what I mean).

I know that walkway well and it's a good spot

So if you like Crazy Gringo then I assume you like Mexican food?

I went to a new Mexican Restaurant in Ao Nang last month

Manana 

It's one of the best Mexican food I ever had in my life 

It's just a Thai lady, no culinary school, who taught herself how to cook Mexican

And some her dishes are pretty sophisticated 

I still don't understand a Thai lady whose never been to Mexican is cooking Mexican food as good as she does

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&q=manana+ao+nang#wptab=si:AMnBZoFzUmuYTz7Q8OiKGisuf87ag1mnaX-smdvIYFVd3l6fMy09P06tcNWcE73Cms_5IK5lJo5B1W0gEAP39x73lz08amgAJfjtDdwciZ1QmZCRx3eh4UORJmHHpEYDUGUdBKlNdnYIHI5tq4CkKLzoZe5p7uKgDYXojSZpXrVrJBckIRIecFE2ko3-TOIYomhwqKemhvNo

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I would say the main tourists were young Westerners

I don't actually ever go on that main street

I stay up the road from McDonald's and stay on that street to eat and drink 

I rememebr you said all the way up the street at some resrot up there. I believe it may just be holiday periods of the world for who is traveling, but perhaps can exclude China on that one. Up the street you are talking, me and my kids walked a fair bit up and got some food to take back to our rooms. But the entrance to the resort we stayed at was almost right there so was easy to do. I didn't go out and drink at night as was with the kids.

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

Me and the kids ate at CGR and didn't think much of it. Also the music just across the walkway started and I honestly am not a fan of loud music while eating, so as not being negative, it was just not for us and there  would be no next time if we ended up in ao nang again. Police box and that side beach street. We stayed at I think it was the Ao Nang Villa resort which its back end opened out to that soi and. It was actually ok right there, no complaints. Bummer about Ao Nang is it lost its quant charm over the decades.

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I know that walkway well and it's a good spot

So if you like Crazy Gringo then I assume you like Mexican food?

I went to a new Mexican Restaurant in Ao Nang last month

Manana 

It's one of the best Mexican food I ever had in my life 

It's just a Thai lady, no culinary school, who taught herself how to cook Mexican

And some her dishes are pretty sophisticated 

I still don't understand a Thai lady whose never been to Mexican is cooking Mexican food as good as she does

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&q=manana+ao+nang#wptab=si:AMnBZoFzUmuYTz7Q8OiKGisuf87ag1mnaX-smdvIYFVd3l6fMy09P06tcNWcE73Cms_5IK5lJo5B1W0gEAP39x73lz08amgAJfjtDdwciZ1QmZCRx3eh4UORJmHHpEYDUGUdBKlNdnYIHI5tq4CkKLzoZe5p7uKgDYXojSZpXrVrJBckIRIecFE2ko3-TOIYomhwqKemhvNo

Now Manana is a place I would like to visit and eat at if ever go to Ao Nang again. Not a fan at all of the other one, but it is popular. 

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now Manana is a place I would like to visit and eat at if ever go to Ao Nang again. Not a fan at all of the other one, but it is popular. 

Yes I did not like Crazy Gringo either

Manana is amazing

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Bummer about Ao Nang is it lost its quant charm over the decades.

Ao Nang is extremely busy but I still find it laid back

I plan on doing 2 one month trips/year down at the beaches once retired and living in the village

Krabi, just a bit outside Ao Nang will be one that I frequent for those trips