News Forum - British expat dies from allergic reaction to bee sting in Phuket

Thaiger

A 69 year old British man died from a severe allergic reaction to a single bee sting yesterday in Phuket, southern Thailand, reports KhaoSod. Volunteers from Rawai Rescue Unit rushed to a house in Soi Kit Prasarn 1 in Rawai district after they were informed that a foreigner was in critical condition after being stung …

The story British expat dies from allergic reaction to bee sting in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Before anyone panics about dangerous wildlife, this was an allergic reaction. The bees are not especially venomous. Nor the wasps. I got stung by a giant hornet in Bangkok, no lasting harm

9 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

Before anyone panics about dangerous wildlife, this was an allergic reaction. The bees are not especially venomous. Nor the wasps. I got stung by a giant hornet in Bangkok, no lasting harm

Few years back I got hit and stung hard in the lower part of my neck by an enormous one riding my motorcycle. Large and think was a hornet. Got home 10 minutes late with excruciating pain. Had a beer and rode to the hospital to get the shot. You are correct, most of the time harmless, but this time fir me not as it was in the neck and a pretty good dose of  venom. Direct hit and burned line fire and swelled fast. O let rime in about 6 times of being stung that had to hit the emergency. 

18 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

I can't imagine anyone here thinking bees are particularly venomous.  I'm willing to bet nearly 100% of the people here are aware of what anaphylactic shock is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

The giant hornet was later found dead due to food poisoning 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

I can't imagine anyone here thinking bees are particularly venomous.  I'm willing to bet nearly 100% of the people here are aware of what anaphylactic shock is.

The killer bee scare? North America once had a fixation on African killer bees, though they are not more venomous rather more aggressive in attack and defence

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

I think I know what it is, it is the deep shock I feel every now and then after paying my huge bar bill even though I thought I had had only three beers. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

I think I know what it is, it is the deep shock I feel every now and then after paying my huge bar bill even though I thought I had had only three beers. 😀

P.S.

Sorry @MrStretch, I thought you meant alcohol induced paralytic shock

• Like 1

Poor guy. He would have known he was  sensitive I think. Pity he wasn't carrying his epi pen. Most people with sensitivities like this carry one.

2 hours ago, Karolyn said:

I was in excruciating pin for the first few hours, although my friend applied tiger balm immediately and it helped. Took me a few days for it to go away.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

The giant hornet was later found dead due to food poisoning 😃

How so? The hornet stings with a stinger. It doesn't take a bite out of people.