News Forum - Elderly British man overstays visa in Thailand by 11 years

Thaiger

19 hours ago, Saunk said:

Yes let's make excuses for criminals.  He broke the law which makes him a criminal.

This guy has been here for so long that it is surely where he feels his home is, so someone saying "he broke the law which makes him a criminal" when talking about an old sod who just wanted to live his last few years peacefully at home makes me laugh (not really) considering the law that caught him is ran by daily criminals on a national scale. And now he will be forced to leave his home to be sent living in a tiny room in the UK, counting on food banks after every 15th of the month cause his ridiculous pension has ran out in a country that is not his home anymore. Sure, no excuse for that hard criminal.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Faz said:

It only becomes an offence if you broke the law, Immigration or driving.
According to @Saunk your classified as a criminal if you break the law.

As a kid, I used to steal sweets from the corner shop.
I just never got caught. 🙂

Until now, sweet robber 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Manu said:

This guy has been here for so long that it is surely where he feels his home is, so someone saying "he broke the law which makes him a criminal" when talking about an old sod who just wanted to live his last few years peacefully at home makes me laugh (not really) considering the law that caught him is ran by daily criminals on a national scale. And now he will be forced to leave his home to be sent living in a tiny room in the UK, counting on food banks after every 15th of the month cause his ridiculous pension has ran out in a country that is not his home anymore. Sure, no excuse for that hard criminal.

Sure, why not? In fact, let’s just dispense with visas altogether. After all we all want live out the rest of our lives here peacefully. And if it’s good for Joe, it’s good for me and the 10s of 1000s of others that would rather not endure the 3 months reporting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Sure, why not? In fact, let’s just dispense with visas altogether. After all we all want live out the rest of our lives here peacefully. And if it’s good for Joe, it’s good for me and the 10s of 1000s of others that would rather not endure the 3 months reporting.

I get it:This was a wrongful act, and he will suffer the penalty for it. However, in the absence of evidence of his engaging in harmful  or hurtful activities, I think he can be spared the villification.  His is an administrative wrong doing.  He will be deported and will never come back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

It's not a case of either visas only or no visas altogether, so let's ignore that cynicism. Anyone who has been a resident for over 10 years has clearly invested into this country, both emotionally as well as financially.

How about a compromise to cover most cases: after 10 years of legal yet semi-permanent residency (and without criminal infractions), the status can be upgraded to permanent residency. Offer Thai passports for say THB 250,000 a piece. Those 10's of 1000s (which is peanuts compared to the population size) have no intention of leaving and it could inject an additional THB 2.5B into the economy. Many (including me) would accept that offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

Sure, why not? In fact, let’s just dispense with visas altogether.

I did.
The minute I entered the Country, my Visa was 'used' and I've stayed here ever since.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Somehow it doesn't really matter cause either way, it is just a very sad and nasty human being...

Yes agree. A self absorbed cretin imbecile to turn in a guy like this. For me, I seriously take offense to this by the cretin's actions. WTF. Does he think he is like a Great Bounty Hunter?  Come knockin on my doorstep and this twerp has overstepped his perception. I still have my hard side to me, but I only fight my own battles, an, but I can say I am 100% above table to stay here and have zero problems. But if I did in the future, and after supporting me and the family for over 20 -30 - 40 years solid here, then I deserve immunity .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

I did.
The minute I entered the Country, my Visa was 'used' and I've stayed here ever since.

How’d you get around the 90 day reporting?

1 hour ago, Chatogaster said:

It's not a case of either visas only or no visas altogether, so let's ignore that cynicism. Anyone who has been a resident for over 10 years has clearly invested into this country, both emotionally as well as financially.

How about a compromise to cover most cases: after 10 years of legal yet semi-permanent residency (and without criminal infractions), the status can be upgraded to permanent residency. Offer Thai passports for say THB 250,000 a piece. Those 10's of 1000s (which is peanuts compared to the population size) have no intention of leaving and it could inject an additional THB 2.5B into the economy. Many (including me) would accept that offer.

Sounds like a good idea and I would relish the opportunity to get PR myself should the opportunity  arise. Until that time I will perform the obligations required of me under the current laws.

6 hours ago, Manu said:

How in the world is it his "home"

He was living there illegally 

And his crime makes it harder on people who follow the immigration laws

15 hours ago, Manu said:

Spy? Not the right word, so many others would be more appropriate. I hope he/she is proud of him/her-self, denouncing an old man to the authorities for...well just living here, what a criminal. Another tiny example that shows that humanity has a long way to go... Let this old man living his last few years in peace where he has been living for so many years was far too much to stand for this great "spy".

I hope the poor sod has a decent pension to live with, I guess (so just a guess) that it is not the case otherwise he would have done a retirement visa years ago. And now, after a good time in deportation center, he will be sent to complete poverty in the UK where it is simply impossible to live decently (by far) with a small pension. I hope he has family to take of him there.

Finally, great picture. It took 3 officers (probably 4 with the one who took the picture) to arrest this hard core criminal. I am glad to see tax payers' money in Thailand being used so wisely.

No need for poverty in the uk. He can always go to Philippines or Cambodia and try his luck there. Why not? 🤔🤔️ presumably he had some money coming in

Nothing to lose. 

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How in the world is it his "home"

He was living there illegally 

And his crime makes it harder on people who follow the immigration laws

You call a place "home" with your heart, not with paperwork.

How does it make harder? I follow the law, I have the appropriate visa etc... I do not feel "his crime" makes it harder on me at all. I could not care less. I feel sorry he got caught.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

No need for poverty in the uk. He can always go to Philippines or Cambodia and try his luck there. Why not? 🤔🤔️ presumably he had some money coming in

Nothing to lose. 

Well, he will be sent to the uk so his new life will start from there. At 76, after loosing the life you have built for many years and find yourself in the UK with a small pension, it is not easy to then try to move on to another life in another country from there. But yes, he might indeed try out in Cambodia or the Philippines. The thing is, I still have my house in the UK where I go back for 2 or 3 months in the summer, so I know the costs of living there nowadays. This old guy will suddenly be arriving at Heathrow airport and if he does not have any familly or friends to help him out (and even then...), he will need to find a place to live somewhere, to pay his gas and electricity bills (mine have more than doubled in a year), pay for food (which has gone up hugely too), etc... etc... It does not leave you with much money left at the end of the month if you live on a low salary and worse on a working class' pension. And if indeed he has only a small pension to live with, he will guaranted be one of the millions whom have to count on food banks at some point before the end of the month. At 76 in this situation, the chance that he manages somehow to get enough funds to start a new life, let's say Cambodia or the Philippines, is pratically next to 0. Most people on this forum seem to be well off, as I am. If this would happen to me, it will be no hassle for me to move on straight to Vietnam and start something new there. But let's not forget that for most people, the working class, whom have been living their whole life on low wages/salaries, this is a different story.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Like probably everyone here, I know many older chaps that live in Thailand with their pension as only source of living. The vast majority are on a retirement visa... no no, not the legit one where you need 800 000 bth in a bank account as they do not have that sort of money... yes yes, the 30 to 35 000 bth dodgy one that is provided by Thai immigration (most likely also by the 3 ones in the photo next to the old chap) in collaboration with "agents" and even Thai banks. This old chap probably does not even have the 35 000 bth to spend on a doddgy visa. Or perhaps he did not want to do something "illegal" ??? (ha ha ha...)

I have personally a legit visa. And all the people I know with a dodgy one have to do exactly the same as me, 3 months reporting, re-entry stamp when out of the country, etc... Once in the system, the dodgy one becomes as legit as a legit one. So please, let's not be hypocrits. The immigration law in Thailand? F*** it!

17 minutes ago, Manu said:

Well, he will be sent to the uk so his new life will start from there. At 76, after loosing the life you have built for many years and find yourself in the UK with a small pension, it is not easy to then try to move on to another life in another country from there. But yes, he might indeed try out in Cambodia or the Philippines. The thing is, I still have my house in the UK where I go back for 2 or 3 months in the summer, so I know the costs of living there nowadays. This old guy will suddenly be arriving at Heathrow airport and if he does not have any familly or friends to help him out (and even then...), he will need to find a place to live somewhere, to pay his gas and electricity bills (mine have more than doubled in a year), pay for food (which has gone up hugely too), etc... etc... It does not leave you with much money left at the end of the month if you live on a low salary and worse on a working class' pension. And if indeed he has only a small pension to live with, he will guaranted be one of the millions whom have to count on food banks at some point before the end of the month. At 76 in this situation, the chance that he manages somehow to get enough funds to start a new life, let's say Cambodia or the Philippines, is pratically next to 0. Most people on this forum seem to be well off, as I am. If this would happen to me, it will be no hassle for me to move on straight to Vietnam and start something new there. But let's not forget that for most people, the working class, whom have been living their whole life on low wages/salaries, this is a different story.

At 68, with a mixture of index linked occupational and state pensions, I am comfortably well off - but having been in the position of out-stayed my sofa-surfiing  welcome and not being welcomed by my family, i know where this man may be at. And it is probably not good a place.

45 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

At 68, with a mixture of index linked occupational and state pensions, I am comfortably well off - but having been in the position of out-stayed my sofa-surfiing  welcome and not being welcomed by my family, i know where this man may be at. And it is probably not good a place.

Yeap, indeed. I really hope at least someone will be waiting for him when he eventually lands at Heathrow airport, otherwise it will be hell. In any case, he will indeed not be in a good place. Surely he must have been living a quite and peaceful life to be able to get away with it for 11 years. And if this complete idiot did not denounce him to the authorities that by the way perfom illegal activities on a daily basis on a national scale, notably by providing dodgy visas for some brown envelopes, he would have carried on living the last years of his life peacefully surrounded by his friends, people he knows, people he talks to everyday, in his daily routine with his same daily habits for so many years, without harming any other human being whatsoever. And now, the last years of his life are probably ruined. For what? Whatever his original situation that made him go the illegal way, and this story sounds to familiar to me not be linked with lack of money, 11 years later at 76, what is the f**** point? This is really pissing me off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Yeap, indeed. I really hope at least someone will be waiting for him when he eventually lands at Heathrow airport, otherwise it will be hell. In any case, he will indeed not be in a good place. Surely he must have been living a quite and peaceful life to be able to get away with it for 11 years. And if this complete idiot did not denounce him to the authorities that by the way perfom illegal activities on a daily basis on a national scale, notably by providing dodgy visas for some brown envelopes, he would have carried on living the last years of his life peacefully surrounded by his friends, people he knows, people he talks to everyday, in his daily routine with his same daily habits for so many years, without harming any other human being whatsoever. And now, the last years of his life are probably ruined. For what? Whatever his original situation that made him go the illegal way, and this story sounds to familiar to me not be linked with lack of money, 11 years later at 76, what is the f**** point? This is really pissing me off.

I agree. It is just pointless of them racking him up and basically ruining the remainder of the short amount of time he has on this planet. I hope the the person who ratted him out burns in h*ll.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manu said:

You're making a lot of assumptions there. He might have been a right ciserable munt, in which case, him getting grassed up is easily explained. 

ATEOTD, no one knows do they. 

10 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You're making a lot of assumptions there. He might have been a right ciserable munt, in which case, him getting grassed up is easily explained. 

ATEOTD, no one knows do they. 

Firstly, it seems he did not do anything else wrong/illegal, otherwise it would have been reported too like in this story that came up the same day (https://thethaiger.com/news/national/swedish-man-accused-of-swindling-money-charged-for-overstaying). Secondly, I can hardly believe that a "ciserable munt" would have got away with it for 11 years.  Do you believe a "ciserable munt" would have got away with it for so long? Or do you find it believable that he was a normal guy for 11 years and suddenly turned into a "ciserable munt" recently, giving "reasons" to suddenly grass him up? Thirdly, to me the only "ciserable munt" is the person who denounced him, regardless of the reason, unless the reason is that he has harmed another human being in any way, and that nothing has been reported suggests that nothing like that happened. Finally, I know loads of "ciserable munts", I simply ignore them, do not have any communication with them, I certainly do not go around grassing them up, especially if they are 76. Where I come from, we simply do not do that!!

And also, are we not all a "ciserable munt" for some? We cannot like everyone nor being liked by everyone. But ruining a 76 years old's life just because he is a "ciserable munt" is not on for me. Never mind if he is not.

28 minutes ago, Manu said:

Firstly, it seems he did not do anything else wrong/illegal, otherwise it would have been reported too like in this story that came up the same day (https://thethaiger.com/news/national/swedish-man-accused-of-swindling-money-charged-for-overstaying). Secondly, I can hardly believe that a "ciserable munt" would have got away with it for 11 years.  Do you believe a "ciserable munt" would have got away with it for so long? Or do you find it believable that he was a normal guy for 11 years and suddenly turned into a "ciserable munt" recently, giving "reasons" to suddenly grass him up? Thirdly, to me the only "ciserable munt" is the person who denounced him, regardless of the reason, unless the reason is that he has harmed another human being in any way, and that nothing has been reported suggests that nothing like that happened. Finally, I know loads of "ciserable munts", I simply ignore them, do not have any communication with them, I certainly do not go around grassing them up, especially if they are 76. Where I come from, we simply do not do that!!

And also, are we not all a "ciserable munt" for some? We cannot like everyone nor being liked by everyone. But ruining a 76 years old's life just because he is a "ciserable munt" is not on for me. Never mind if he is not.

Your concern for this guy is admirable, but it's all whataboutery. 

Like I said, unless anyone who knew the guy personally can vouch for him, no one knows do they. 

20 hours ago, Manu said:

You call a place "home" with your heart, not with paperwork.

How does it make harder? I follow the law, I have the appropriate visa etc... I do not feel "his crime" makes it harder on me at all. I could not care less. I feel sorry he got caught.

Sorry I feel no sympathy for him

My wife and I have lived in Canada on work permits and her occasionally on visitor visas for 15+ years and always abide by our visas 

And yes, people like this guy then make immigration put more scrutiny on people who do the right thing (ex 90 day reports, etc)

Even still, I find your compassion admirable 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:36 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Being elderly doesn't make its okay. And he obviously annoyed someone. 

He was British. So ppl feel bad for him. If he was from India or anything they'd be hooting and laughing at the dumb f.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 3:43 PM, Faz said:

Many elderly suffer from a form of dementia or cognition, making the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses, very difficult.
They fail to understand or be confused with Immigration requirements, particularly if they have no one to turn to for help or advice.

More likely, they were envious, rather than annoyed.

He would have been over 11 years younger when this started. My guess is that he overstayed a little and then the longer you leave it the harder it gets to stop. Especially given that there would be a large fine and a long, if not indefinite ban on returning. In later years as the mind starts to go then the situation gets worse.

If he's got friends here then he'll lose them and probably have nobody back in the UK. If he didn't then that's not so much of a problem. The cold and fuel bills might be though. 

The rules are there but I do feel a bit sorry for him.