News Forum - Elderly British man overstays visa in Thailand by 11 years

Thaiger

Immigration Police arrested a 76 year old British man in Bangkok who overstayed his visa in Thailand by a total of 4,142 days (11.3 years), reports KhaoSod. Thailand’s immigration authorities are taking their latest crackdown on foreign overstayers in the kingdom seriously – catching a British national who managed to slip through their net for more …

The story Elderly British man overstays visa in Thailand by 11 years as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Congratulations!.....you are the record holder now. If the authorities need to hunt for those who are overstaying, then it is very simple. Just announce a price money for each info that lead to an arrest. I am sure within weeks, the Thai immigration can clear all these illegals who are overstaying in the country. Money can travel up to hell. 

• Like 2

His sartorial style certainly suggests Pattaya resident.  😉

The sad part is that if he is sent to immigration detention, he will have a rough time of it. People in the best of condition deteriorate quickly. Hopefully, he won't be kept long. I expect he has grim prospects awaiting him in the land he left long ago and he will have some tax issues to address when he returns to his homeland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations!.....you are the record holder now.

I knew a German over 23 years overstay. He evaded arrest by passing away before immigration became aware.

4 hours ago, Vigo said:

I expect he has grim prospects awaiting him in the land he left long ago and he will have some tax issues to address when he returns to his homeland.

No, anything above the personal allowance is taxed at source in the UK.

Even amongst criminals, a 'grass' is considered the lowest form of scum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In a way I feel sorry for him. Wonder how he was able to exist day by day? If he was not a blemish and did pay his own way not putting any burden on the land of hypocrisy, then since he is so old they should work something out with him to be able to stay. Somethings should not be clear and cut but be able to move the goal posts if needed.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, perceblue said:

It`s good to know that the British come first in somethings.

Many things...................

Check your history.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

In a way I feel sorry for him. Wonder how he was able to exist day by day? If he was not a blemish and did pay his own way not putting any burden on the land of hypocrisy, then since he is so old they should work something out with him to be able to stay. Somethings should not be clear and cut but be able to move the goal posts if needed.

No one likes a grass...........but you can't argue with the legal position and the fact that tens of thousands of other expats DO follow the law.

I had a restaurant/bar a good few years back and I arranged for one guys pension to be sent me - and he would collect once a month from me. He lived in the boonies keeping under the radar. His pension was 8,500 Baht (when the rate was around 50. ......he managed.

28 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

No one likes a grass...........but you can't argue with the legal position and the fact that tens of thousands of other expats DO follow the law.

I had a restaurant/bar a good few years back and I arranged for one guys pension to be sent me - and he would collect once a month from me. He lived in the boonies keeping under the radar. His pension was 8,500 Baht (when the rate was around 50. ......he managed.

No cannot argue the legal position, but for these people to go out of their way and call this a milestone super arrest is a bit much. The guy is 76 and for all reasoning is living on numbered years. 8500 baht is super super lowm but I guess if one detaches themself then one could live on it if frugal. Living in the boonies greatley reduces costs. If need been when the kids graduate University and finally get on their own, I think my level is at 40,000 and 6000 of that would go to different alcohol and drinking at home. But the key is always staying above board on the staying here. Just hope my wife out lives me or I will then have to send some extra money over and do a retirement then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Being elderly doesn't make its okay.

Many elderly suffer from a form of dementia or cognition, making the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses, very difficult.
They fail to understand or be confused with Immigration requirements, particularly if they have no one to turn to for help or advice.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And he obviously annoyed someone. 

More likely, they were envious, rather than annoyed.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

Many elderly suffer from a form of dementia or cognition, making the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses, very difficult.
They fail to understand or be confused with Immigration requirements, particularly if they have no one to turn to for help or advice.

In which case getting deported is the best thing that can happen to him. Wandering the streets with dementia in Bangkok is probably not on most people's retirement bucket list. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Faz said:

Yes let's make excuses for criminals.  He broke the law which makes him a criminal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saunk said:

Yes let's make excuses for criminals.  He broke the law which makes him a criminal.

You never had a fine or ticket for a driving offence, because you broke the law, so does that make you a criminal.

29 minutes ago, Faz said:

You never had a fine or ticket for a driving offence, because you broke the law, so does that make you a criminal.

Comparing a driving offence to overstaying 11 years is a bit of a reach......I'd say

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations!.....you are the record holder now.

Nope, he is not! 4142 days is just 23 days short of the (known) record from an Hungarian woman, who got caught on Samui, after her husband had died in 2021.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Comparing a driving offence to overstaying 11 years is a bit of a reach......I'd say

It only becomes an offence if you broke the law, Immigration or driving.
According to @Saunk your classified as a criminal if you break the law.

As a kid, I used to steal sweets from the corner shop.
I just never got caught. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saunk said:

Yet the same individuals who want this brit to be exiled rant and rave at those people in the USA who want their borders secured...

• Like 1

Police said that they were tipped off by a “spy” (whose name they did not disclose)

Spy? Not the right word, so many others would be more appropriate. I hope he/she is proud of him/her-self, denouncing an old man to the authorities for...well just living here, what a criminal. Another tiny example that shows that humanity has a long way to go... Let this old man living his last few years in peace where he has been living for so many years was far too much to stand for this great "spy".

I hope the poor sod has a decent pension to live with, I guess (so just a guess) that it is not the case otherwise he would have done a retirement visa years ago. And now, after a good time in deportation center, he will be sent to complete poverty in the UK where it is simply impossible to live decently (by far) with a small pension. I hope he has family to take of him there.

Finally, great picture. It took 3 officers (probably 4 with the one who took the picture) to arrest this hard core criminal. I am glad to see tax payers' money in Thailand being used so wisely.

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Spy? Not the right word, so many others would be more appropriate. I hope he/she is proud of him/her-self, denouncing an old man to the authorities for...well just living here, what a criminal. Another tiny example that shows that humanity has a long way to go... Let this old man living his last few years in peace where he has been living for so many years was far too much to stand for this great "spy".

I hope the poor sod has a decent pension to live with, I guess (so just a guess) that it is not the case otherwise he would have done a retirement visa years ago. And now, after a good time in deportation center, he will be sent to complete poverty in the UK where it is simply impossible to live decently (by far) with a small pension. I hope he has family to take of him there.

Finally, great picture. It took 3 officers (probably 4 with the one who took the picture) to arrest this hard core criminal. I am glad to see tax payers' money in Thailand being used so wisely.

Spy is a maybe, but I more thnk a snoop. So one of 3 I think. It is either someone turned him in out of dislike and spite, and that could be a foreinger as well, a Thai who lives in the same building or place who knows they can get a reward (easy money), or I think could be a professional Thai jerk-rse going around asking questions about every foreigner they see taking pictures as does this as a means to get reward and make his money. I don't think it is a woman. One could actually make a profession out of turning in traffic offenders here as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saunk said:

It is not an excuse, but a placing in perspective. The administration of law is referred to as "justice" because it allows for fairness, and reasonableness to be applied. We do not know the circumstances of the overstay. Yes, he may be a diabolical individual, nefarious in his ways and given to snacking on the innards of unsuspecting kathoey.  On the other hand, he may have indeed been confused, or traumatized or mentally incompetent. If he has harmed no one, and gained no personal profit from his acts, then it becomes an administrative situation.

'... given to snacking on the innards of unsuspecting Khatoey...' That's the last time I read the Thaiger whilst having my breakfast! I need counselling now 😱 😂

I think we can rule out the dementia theory for Joe. The fact that he has the awareness to hide his face would indicate  an admission of guilt. So, sorry Joe, on your way old cock, you were erroneously of the belief that the laws of the land did not apply to you.

We can all afford Joe charity because his circumstances mirror our own as guests in a foreign country, but how many of us extend that charity to overstayers in our country of origin?

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Spy is a maybe, but I more thnk a snoop. So one of 3 I think. It is either someone turned him in out of dislike and spite, and that could be a foreinger as well, a Thai who lives in the same building or place who knows they can get a reward (easy money), or I think could be a professional Thai jerk-rse going around asking questions about every foreigner they see taking pictures as does this as a means to get reward and make his money. I don't think it is a woman. One could actually make a profession out of turning in traffic offenders here as well.

Somehow it doesn't really matter cause either way, it is just a very sad and nasty human being...