News Forum - Thailand’s neutrality ensures exclusion from US Summit for Democracy

Thaiger

It appears Thailand’s nonpartisan stance toward China and Russia ensured their exclusion from the United States’ Summit for Democracy meeting yesterday. Thailand pledged to remain neutral in regard to the Russia-Ukraine conflict last year and also refused to get drawn into the US’ latest warmongering plans against China ensuring the kingdom’s absence. Just like in …

The story Thailand’s neutrality ensures exclusion from US Summit for Democracy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The summit focused on strengthening democracy, countering authoritarianism, fighting corruption, and promoting respect for human rights"... given the topics covered by the Summit, it is easy to see why the Land of Smiles didn't attend, invited or otherwise. When you have a military junta ruling by way of coup and elbows-deep in corruption, it would be hard for other countries not to fall off their chairs laughing.

• Like 6

Looking at the writer's BIO below it explains why he is so biased against the US calling them warmongers for trying to promoted peace and democracy of all things!  SMH...

Edited by Baxida
Misspelling
  • Like 5

Warmongering Plans???? That must have been news to the participants, because nothing of the sort is discussed. The USA is described as running the show and that just isn't true. There are 5 diverse  hosts; United States, Costa Rica, Netherlands, Republic of Korea, and Zambia. What is warmongering about the following topics? If anything I would expect criticism for the liberal agenda. Anti American bias at play with the author and it is reprehensible.

8:00 pm-5:20am EDT / 9:00 am-6:20 pm KST – The Republic of Korea: Challenges and Progress in Addressing Corruption

2:30am-11:30am EDT / 8:30 am-5:30 pm CST – The Republic of Zambia: Free, Fair, and Transparent Elections as the Foundation of Democratic Governance

9:00 am-12:00 pm – The Netherlands: Media Freedom as a Cornerstone of Democracy

10:00 am-8:00 pm – Costa Rica: Promoting the Role of Youth in Political and Democratic Spaces

12:30 pm-5:45 pm – United States: Advancing Technology for Democracy

ADDITIONAL subjects sponsored by the USa have nothing to do with war.

On Tuesday, March 28, the U.S. Government hosted a variety of Cabinet- and Sub-Cabinet- level thematic events to spotlight key Summit themes. These included:

Partnering for Democracy: New Approaches for Reform 

9:00 am-4:45 pm – The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) hosted a full-day, four-session event, led by Administrator Samantha Power, that highlighted new approaches and partnerships that strengthen democracy, human rights, and governance. 

A Just and Lasting Peace in Ukraine 

9:00 am-10:00 am – The U.S. Department of State hosted a panel session, chaired by Secretary Antony Blinken, about the need for a Just and Lasting Peace in Ukraine.  

The Complex Path to Achieving Democratic Dividends 

10:00 am-11:30 am – The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) co-hosted a panel session to examine the linkages between democracy, economic growth, and poverty reduction. 

A Conversation with Deputy U.S. Attorney General Lisa Monaco on Defending the Rule of Law against Hostile Nation States 

10:30 am-11:30 am – At the Council on Foreign Relations, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco discussed how the U.S. Department of Justice is countering new and evolving threats to the rule of law posed by hostile nation states, from transnational repression to foreign malign influence.

Anti-Corruption as a Cornerstone of a Fair, Accountable, and Democratic Economy 

10:30 am-12:00 pm – The U.S. Department of the Treasury hosted an event , chaired by Secretary Janet Yellen, which brought together leaders from government, civil society, and international organizations to discuss the efforts to counter corruption and illicit finance in order to uphold the rule of law, promote good governance, and ensure an equal economic playing field.

Strengthening Unions, Safeguarding Democracy 

11:30 am-1:00 pm – The U.S. Department of Labor hosted a session to elevate the role of labor movements as drivers of democracy and essential components of democratic societies.  

The Status of Women is the Status of Democracy 

1:00 pm-2:30 pm – The U.S. Department of State hosted an event, chaired by Secretary Antony Blinken, that built directly on the December 2021 Summit for Democracy event “Empowering Prosperity: Advancing Women to Advance the Status of Democracy.” This gathering highlighted the imperative of gender equity and equality to democratic, rights-based societies and the universal importance of women’s civic and political participation, as well as underscored one of the biggest barriers women and girls face: online harassment and abuse.  The event showcased the Global Partnership for Action on Gender-Based Online Harassment and Abuse, a 12-country initiative and commitment announced by the U.S. government at the first Summit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another example of a news article that is promoting the writer's slanted point of view. Mr. Scott's initial position that Thailand was excluded again from this Summit on Democracy due to it's "neutrality" in regards to China and Russia, doesn't reflect on the facts that, since the overturning of the last democratic election in Thailand in a military coup, there is clearly less democracy in the Thailand political process and more authoritarianism and a greater voice engineered by the military for the military in Thailand's governance.  Nor does he refer to any statement from the US or President Biden, that these are the reasons for Thailand's exclusion.

Thailand wasn't invited to the first Summit for Democracy, held in 2021, well before the Russian invasion of Ukraine. There is also no evidence that Thailand's consideration of China is a factor in not being asked to participate in that summit, 2022's summit or the 2023 summit.

The following statement has no place in an objective news report: "The summit focused on strengthening democracy, countering authoritarianism, fighting corruption, and promoting respect for human rights, which is ironic given how US foreign policy subverts all three themes."

Mr. Scott's sympathies, clearly based on his experience as described in his brief bio, are obvious in his writing, and this should labeled as an Opinion, rather than news.

Before any moderator thinks this post is out of line, please consider that the viewpoints and opinions regarding other media outlets is openly discussed in the various conversations on this forum.  As such, The Thaiger should also be fair game for us to discuss the bias and increasing lack of professionalism in recent months. 

• Like 4

Wonder if the US is going to exclude itself base on its criteria of democracy, unless they change the criteria to flawed democracy, which would then allow the U.S. to participate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

US is now trying to get its guinea pigs without which they cannot make any progress. It is always the guinea pigs that are affected not US. If now talking about neutrality then it should start from Vietnam war - Afghan War - Iraq war - Palestine war - Libyan War - Syrian war. 

• Like 1

Quite a slanted article that, starting with the very title of the article. 

The author sounds like a mouthpiece for the CCP. 

• Like 7

On 3/30/2023 at 1:31 AM, Khunmark said:

Wonder if the US is going to exclude itself base on its criteria of democracy, unless they change the criteria to flawed democracy, which would then allow the U.S. to participate. 

Was it too difficult to read the agenda? It takes a very prejudiced person to regurgitate inaccurate statements. Look at  who is giving the presentations and what the subject matter is. If you still believe that the Zambia is in the USA or that the Costa Ricans are secret double knot agents for their USA when they discuss students role in democracy, then so be it. The sad fact is that you didn't even bother to look at the subject matter before offering your bankrupt 1970's era political sloganeering.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:41 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

US is now trying to get its guinea pigs without which they cannot make any progress. It is always the guinea pigs that are affected not US. If now talking about neutrality then it should start from Vietnam war - Afghan War - Iraq war - Palestine war - Libyan War - Syrian war. 

What are you on about now? Another one who was too lazy or biased to read up on the conference. Who are you to label countries like Netherlands, or Canada or Mexico  or France or Niger "guinea pigs".  Based upon your previous comments, it seems to me that you probably object to the conference inclusion of Women's Role in Democracy, and topics such as Protecting against Spyware Rights  and Anti Corruption Measures.  

The agenda was set by the 120 invitees and regional subjects were specifically agreed to by the regional participants.  Is that something  that upsets you? Or do you object to the international consensus to protect and to promote democracy? The USA is a  primary sponsor of the event, but it is an INTERNATIONAL effort by the nations of the free world. Do you object to that too?

• Like 4

The US’ Summit for Democracy meeting aimed to promote democracy and human rights while countering authoritarianism and corruption but in truth, it stinks of rank hypocrisy given the US’ relationship with a number of authoritarian governments.

You can all say what you want about this article or its author but whoever says that the conclusion is not true is either naive, ignorant or hypocrit. It is not an opinion, it is simply a fact. Anyway...

It is called the US Summit of Democraty and that is exactly what it is. But actually what has this bla bla bla summit changed in the world year after year? Nothing, nothing at all. I wish it would but it does not. But for sure all I have been seeing the last few years is democracy having a bad time in the West, starting in my own country, France.

So the US does not invite Thailand this year again. While its neutral stand with the Ukraine war is not helping, let me remind you that Thailand was not invited in 2021 neither. So Thailand is not a democracy and considered as an authoritarian regime. So why are the US still selling them weapons (https://www.dsca.mil/tags/thailand), some just a few months before the summit in 2021 (https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/us-approves-javelin-sale-to-thailand)? Why is the mighty democratic USA selling weapons to a military junta, so to the same people that they do not invite to their summit of democraty year after year? Surely this is a wrong thing to do? Do they think those weapons will bring democraty to Thailand? Surely they should invite them to at least "teach" them about democracy or so they can learn from other democracies "co-hosting" the event? But no, the military junta is only good to do business with, not to talk (bla bla bla) about democracy. And Thailand is of course only 1 example. I cannot get my head around this... well I am joking there.

"Thailand’s neutrality ensures exclusion from US Summit for Democracy"

Or could it be Thailand being under the control of a military junta every time the rich and powerful do not like the election results? Maybe also because corruption is at the very core of all Thai society from the central government down through the local administrations and the enforcement agencies like the police?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Manu said:

You can all say what you want about this article or its author but whoever says that the conclusion is not true is either naive, ignorant or hypocrit. It is not an opinion, it is simply a fact. Anyway...

It is called the US Summit of Democraty and that is exactly what it is. But actually what has this bla bla bla summit changed in the world year after year? Nothing, nothing at all. I wish it would but it does not. But for sure all I have been seeing the last few years is democracy having a bad time in the West, starting in my own country, France.

So the US does not invite Thailand this year again. While its neutral stand with the Ukraine war is not helping, let me remind you that Thailand was not invited in 2021 neither. So Thailand is not a democracy and considered as an authoritarian regime. So why are the US still selling them weapons (https://www.dsca.mil/tags/thailand), some just a few months before the summit in 2021 (https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/us-approves-javelin-sale-to-thailand)? Why is the mighty democratic USA selling weapons to a military junta, so to the same people that they do not invite to their summit of democraty year after year? Surely this is a wrong thing to do? Do they think those weapons will bring democraty to Thailand? Surely they should invite them to at least "teach" them about democracy or so they can learn from other democracies "co-hosting" the event? But no, the military junta is only good to do business with, not to talk (bla bla bla) about democracy. And Thailand is of course only 1 example. I cannot get my head around this... well I am joking there.

You raise the issue of US military materiel to Thailand. Fine, then look at what is sent and why and what the equipment is used for and then you can consider your accusatory claim.

The Kingdom of Thailand is the United States’ only treaty partner in mainland Southeast Asia, a treaty ally since 1954, and a major non-NATO ally since 2003.  The Royal Thai Armed Forces have strengthened their interoperability with U.S. forces by making significant purchases of U.S.-origin defense articles.  All sales are subject to  Congressional oversight and are primarily of a defensive nature. Stryker infantry carrier vehicles; AH-6i light attack reconnaissance, UH-60M Black Hawk, and UH-72A Lakota helicopters; F-16A/B Block 15 aircraft Mid-Life Upgrades; and RGM-84L Harpoon Block II and Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles.

The U.S.-Thai security relationship extends well beyond transfers of defense articles and services, and is particularly supported by people-to-people ties through professional military education, military exercises, and regular troop engagements. The intent is to foster an understanding of the role of the military in civil society. The US military courses include training in the role of civilian oversight.  The Thai military in 2022 sent its personnel to 244 U.S.-sponsored training and education courses, with attendance at U.S. military service academies being the most consequential of these.  Thailand received $2.68 million in International Military Education and Training (IMET) funding for use in FY 2021, and $2.2 million in FY 2022.  IMET provides professional military education and training to military students to increase professionalization, build capacity in key areas, enhance joint interoperability, create a better understanding of the United States, and grow lasting military-to-military relationships.   Thailand is an integral part oif anti piracy and prevention of human trafficking in the region.    In 2022, the U.S. provided Thailand $25 million in FMF for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief efforts, Maritime Domain Awareness, technical and professional training.

Much of the US military equipment is used for International peacekeeping activity.Thailand has been a significant troop-contributing country to UN peacekeeping missions since 1958.  As of June 30, 2022, Thailand had a total UN peacekeeping troop contribution of 301 personnel (Police: 15, UN Military Experts on Mission: 8, Troops: 273, Staff Officers: 5) supporting United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), the UN Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM), and United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).  In 2021, Global Peace Operations Initiative funding procured and delivered deployable unit equipment for use at the PKO training center to assist Thailand’s peacekeeping units.  At this training center, the UN is implementing a Military Expert on Mission (UNMEOM) course to train military officers for serving in UN peacekeeping operations as military observers, military liaison officers, and military advisors.  Additionally, Thailand sent a platoon to participate in the annual multinational peacekeeping exercise co-hosted in 2022 with Indonesia.

According to the Landmine and Cluster Munition Monitor, the Kingdom of Thailand is affected by mines and unexploded ordnance as the result of past conflicts on its borders with Burma, Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia.  Since 1993, the Kingdom of Thailand has received approximately $21.1 million in U.S. assistance to support humanitarian mine action and conventional weapons destruction.  In 2021, the Department of Defense Humanitarian Demining Research and Development Program, in partnership with the Thailand Mine Action Center (TMAC), continued to evaluate earth-tilling equipment capable of clearing anti-personnel and anti-tank landmines.  INDOPACOM supported Thailand to reduce the social, economic, and environmental impact of landmines and ERW through mine detection and clearance and assisted mine survivor casualty care by furnishing HMA-related equipment, education, training, and technical assistance. The USA equipment is used for this activity.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Vigo said:

Was it too difficult to read the agenda? It takes a very prejudiced person to regurgitate inaccurate statements. Look at  who is giving the presentations and what the subject matter is. If you still believe that the Zambia is in the USA or that the Costa Ricans are secret double knot agents for their USA when they discuss students role in democracy, then so be it. The sad fact is that you didn't even bother to look at the subject matter before offering your bankrupt 1970's era political sloganeering.

What are you on about now? Another one who was too lazy or biased to read up on the conference. Who are you to label countries like Netherlands, or Canada or Mexico  or France or Niger "guinea pigs".  Based upon your previous comments, it seems to me that you probably object to the conference inclusion of Women's Role in Democracy, and topics such as Protecting against Spyware Rights  and Anti Corruption Measures.  

The agenda was set by the 120 invitees and regional subjects were specifically agreed to by the regional participants.  Is that something  that upsets you? Or do you object to the international consensus to protect and to promote democracy? The USA is a  primary sponsor of the event, but it is an INTERNATIONAL effort by the nations of the free world. Do you object to that too?

Spare me your flag waving, reductionist diatribe.  Your hollow rant is nothing but a deflection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Spare me your flag waving, reductionist diatribe.  Your hollow rant is nothing but a deflection.

Surely you can do better than that?

Why not try the racist card? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Khunmark said:

There was no flag waving, but a statement of fact. Did you read the Summit agenda?

I am not a US national and although I have relatives who are US  citizens, some of whom  served in the military, I am not a flag waver. The fact is that I appreciate the sacrifices the USA has made so that I have my freedom. I also appreciate that the USA directs its funding to activities such as supporting democracy and anti corruption efforts. It's the USA  which helped the world through the Covid crisis, not Russia and certainly not China.  I would rather deal with the irritants the USA brings at times than have countries like China who steal my nation's intellectual capital, interfere in the democratic process and who kidnap and detain my nationals. I'd rather the USA and its peaceful summit promoting  peaceful resolution of issues than Russia which sends its nuclear armed aircraft onto my borders, and who's warships regularly violate my national sovereignty. The USA doesn't threaten to send nuclear missiles my way, but Russia does. And I'd much rather enjoy the glories at the hallowed Fenway Park than the goose stepping of Russian soldiers in Moscow  square or Pyonyang. If not for the USA, the world would be in a far worse place than it is today. Try criticizing Russia from within and learn what it's like to be pushed out of a building.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vigo said:

There was no flag waving, but a statement of fact. Did you read the Summit agenda?

I am not a US national and although I have relatives who are US  citizens, some of whom  served in the military, I am not a flag waver. The fact is that I appreciate the sacrifices the USA has made so that I have my freedom. I also appreciate that the USA directs its funding to activities such as supporting democracy and anti corruption efforts. It's the USA  which helped the world through the Covid crisis, not Russia and certainly not China.  I would rather deal with the irritants the USA brings at times than have countries like China who steal my nation's intellectual capital, interfere in the democratic process and who kidnap and detain my nationals. I'd rather the USA and its peaceful summit promoting  peaceful resolution of issues than Russia which sends its nuclear armed aircraft onto my borders, and who's warships regularly violate my national sovereignty. The USA doesn't threaten to send nuclear missiles my way, but Russia does. And I'd much rather enjoy the glories at the hallowed Fenway Park than the goose stepping of Russian soldiers in Moscow  square or Pyonyang. If not for the USA, the world would be in a far worse place than it is today. Try criticizing Russia from within and learn what it's like to be pushed out of a building.

I appreciate the Fenway compliment!!

Mr Bob Scott has a very bad knowledge of politics, even of language !

The reason for excluding Thailand has nothing to do with neutralism; if it were the case, than Austria, Switzerland - which by the way is no part of the EU - would not take part at the conference.

Let's remind you !

Democratie comes from the Greek : demo which means people ; and kratos which means power hence the power of the people.

In Thailand we should rather think of a ploutocratie, meaning those who possess land, houses, companies, shares, gold and so on, put it in one word The well-off, the richs who tend to consider of themselves as being above the laws, those are in charge of the country, responsible of bad education and misery.

Ulrich. A