News Forum - About 7,000 Russians and Ukrainians stranded in Thailand

Thaiger

While it’s common to discuss the influx of Russians as they pour into the country and are investing more and more in villas and homes, it’s easy to forget about the thousands of people who are not staying by choice in Thailand. Around 7,000 Russians and Ukrainians are currently stranded in Thailand due to the ongoing …

The story About 7,000 Russians and Ukrainians stranded in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Stranded is not an accurate term. There is air service  to and from Russia. Same for Ukraine. Ukrainians can go back but choose to stay. Haven't seen any Russian dissidents  or draft dodgers where I am. If Russians have financial problems, I have not seen it. Bars and restos are packed with them here.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Haven't seen any Russian dissidents  or draft dodgers where I am. If Russians have financial problems, I have not seen it. Bars and restos are packed with them here.

What do you mean "I haven't seen any Russian dissident"? Do you mean that you haven't seen one wearing the t-shirt "I am a dissident"? How many Russians have you talked to lately? Do you have ever actually met any Russian dissident at all, and I mean before the war in Ukraine? Cause they tend to be very discret... As for financial problems, that is the only obvious fact that you could have "seen" without having any direct contact at all with them, and the only "draft dodgers" amongst the Russians that managed to escape Russia are also some with money (the others, the vast majority are in Russia waiting for their "winning" lotery ticket to be drawn), but unless they are also wearing the t-shirt or they tell you about it in person, how would you be any wiser?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manu said:

What do you mean "I haven't seen any Russian dissident"? Do you mean that you haven't seen one wearing the t-shirt "I am a dissident"? How many Russians have you talked to lately? Do you have ever actually met any Russian dissident at all, and I mean before the war in Ukraine? Cause they tend to be very discret... As for financial problems, that is the only obvious fact that you could have "seen" without having any direct contact at all with them, and the only "draft dodgers" amongst the Russians that managed to escape Russia are also some with money (the others, the vast majority are in Russia waiting for their "winning" lotery ticket to be drawn), but unless they are also wearing the t-shirt or they tell you about it in person, how would you be any wiser?

I am in the Hua Hin Sam Roi Yot area since January. Within Hua Hin all I see are Russian bureacrat/FSB/military types with their families.  The majority are 40+ year olds. I was in a bar last week and had to leave when a dozen or so under 30+/- year olds entered and took over the youtube based entertainment system to play Russian patriotic type songs. I felt I was  reliving a WWII propaganda movie with young SA devotees singinging their Horst Wessel type songs, banging their feet and shouting their slogans. We left.   Over on fish restuarant alley in the night market area, the restaurants are filed with the older Russians with their guts, chain smoking and some of the ugliest bar trade  types to be seen. (Hua Hin must be where  bar ladies are pout out to pasture).  The other night, I took a sangthaw and two young Russian backpackers jumped on. They looked like any typical backpackers that I used to see from Europe a decade or so ago. (They were the first backpacker types I have seen in years.)

Yes, I realize that I am in a wealthier area but there are plenty of low income elderly English here. Many of the condo rentals (e.g. Mykonos) are packed with Russians. Those are not cheap rentals, and Hua Hin has many affordable sub 2000 baht a night serviced apartments avilable. I have also asked around. Many Chinese tour groups in for visits, so the place is somewhat busy.  When I walk on the beach I see the Russians in their flocks enjoying themselves. 

I don't believe that alot of Russians who used to travel, are able to travel now. the people with easy access to money and who are relying on the convenient banking facilities made available through Gulf state banks are Russians who are part of the Putin support system. Russians dissenters are are under lock and key or virtual prisoners of the state. There may be a few  "dissenters" in thailand, but I wouild consider them more likely to be cowards, than of offering a genuine opposition to the Putin regime. Putin remains very popular with most russians and the war is well supported. Even the western observers acknowledge this.

I have dealt with Russians long before the war and the reality is that they will tell westerners what they want to hear just to get rid of them and to avoid  unpleasant subjects. It is easier for a Russian to tell gullible westerners, oh no, I am not a supporter of  war, I want peace for all, but in reality will  harbor a deep seated hatred. Russia has a long history of enacting genocides and pogroms and then making out like they were not involved or innocent victims. History shows that the hatred of the former Lithuanian-Polish Duchy caused hundreds of thousands to be slaughtered. It was the Russian pogroms of the late 1800's that had millions of Russian jews flee for their lives to the the USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa. It was Russia that invaded and slaughtered innocent Poles in their thousands pre and post WWII. Russians will of course deny such a history, but the history is there.  

And no Russian is stranded in Thailand because of access. Multiple Russian aircraft land and depart Thailand in any given week. The Gulf carriers offer relatively cheap flights to Russia. And yes, Russians have access to their money and can pay for goods and services. The Gulf and Chinese banks  have made that possible. The super wealthy Rissians may not have an easy time accessing funds, but whats a few million Euro to them when they have billions?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manu said:

You have no idea, don't you know that all Russians in Thailand are evil people out to get us?

(Sarcasm).

I was talking to a German neighbour last night, I had not seen him since the start of the pandemic in 2020.

He owns two hotels in the Patong area of Phuket and says business has been fantastic since the lockdowns around the world ended, business is still good even though we are traditionally in the low season now.

He did not mention anything about Russians, he did say there was a lot of trouble from the French nationals but then mentioned they were Arab speakers.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I am in the Hua Hin Sam Roi Yot area since January. Within Hua Hin all I see are Russian bureacrat/FSB/military types with their families.  The majority are 40+ year olds. I was in a bar last week and had to leave when a dozen or so under 30+/- year olds entered and took over the youtube based entertainment system to play Russian patriotic type songs. I felt I was  reliving a WWII propaganda movie with young SA devotees singinging their Horst Wessel type songs, banging their feet and shouting their slogans. We left.   Over on fish restuarant alley in the night market area, the restaurants are filed with the older Russians with their guts, chain smoking and some of the ugliest bar trade  types to be seen. (Hua Hin must be where  bar ladies are pout out to pasture).  The other night, I took a sangthaw and two young Russian backpackers jumped on. They looked like any typical backpackers that I used to see from Europe a decade or so ago. (They were the first backpacker types I have seen in years.)

Yes, I realize that I am in a wealthier area but there are plenty of low income elderly English here. Many of the condo rentals (e.g. Mykonos) are packed with Russians. Those are not cheap rentals, and Hua Hin has many affordable sub 2000 baht a night serviced apartments avilable. I have also asked around. Many Chinese tour groups in for visits, so the place is somewhat busy.  When I walk on the beach I see the Russians in their flocks enjoying themselves. 

I don't believe that alot of Russians who used to travel, are able to travel now. the people with easy access to money and who are relying on the convenient banking facilities made available through Gulf state banks are Russians who are part of the Putin support system. Russians dissenters are are under lock and key or virtual prisoners of the state. There may be a few  "dissenters" in thailand, but I wouild consider them more likely to be cowards, than of offering a genuine opposition to the Putin regime. Putin remains very popular with most russians and the war is well supported. Even the western observers acknowledge this.

I have dealt with Russians long before the war and the reality is that they will tell westerners what they want to hear just to get rid of them and to avoid  unpleasant subjects. It is easier for a Russian to tell gullible westerners, oh no, I am not a supporter of  war, I want peace for all, but in reality will  harbor a deep seated hatred. Russia has a long history of enacting genocides and pogroms and then making out like they were not involved or innocent victims. History shows that the hatred of the former Lithuanian-Polish Duchy caused hundreds of thousands to be slaughtered. It was the Russian pogroms of the late 1800's that had millions of Russian jews flee for their lives to the the USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa. It was Russia that invaded and slaughtered innocent Poles in their thousands pre and post WWII. Russians will of course deny such a history, but the history is there.  

And no Russian is stranded in Thailand because of access. Multiple Russian aircraft land and depart Thailand in any given week. The Gulf carriers offer relatively cheap flights to Russia. And yes, Russians have access to their money and can pay for goods and services. The Gulf and Chinese banks  have made that possible. The super wealthy Rissians may not have an easy time accessing funds, but whats a few million Euro to them when they have billions?

I stayed in Hua Hin from Wednesday last week until Sunday.

There was a night market area on a long street full of restaurants, and most of the customers were Scandinavians and other nationalities, including Brits, I did not see a great presence of Russians.

The atmosphere was great, for example, a live group in a pub/bar was playing to a large audience, all nice and pleasant.

We went out each night and there was no sign of any problem, the atmosphere was relaxed.

I have come across many Russians here in Phuket since November last year, they all seem clean, well-dressed, and polite, they are usually a family group.

I saw a long queue outside a very expensive shop in Central Shopping, most of the customers were speaking Russian and did not seem poor as they bought their $1500 handbags, etc.

There are lots of noisy Chinese tourists around at the moment in Phuket, in Tesco last night I was about to enter one of the checkout counters, a Chinese guy saw me and ran from ten yards away to get to the till first, I looked at him with a "that was rude expression", but it did not enter his head what he had done.

But I did not assume all Chinese were like that, in fact when in Hua Hin last week at a 7/11 a group of Chinese was at the checkout, they saw I only had one item and so in very polite English said to me, "after you sir".

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I stayed in Hua Hin from Wednesday last week until Sunday.

There was a night market area on a long street full of restaurants, and most of the customers were Scandinavians and other nationalities, including Brits, I did not see a great presence of Russians.

The atmosphere was great, for example, a live group in a pub/bar was playing to a large audience, all nice and pleasant.

We went out each night and there was no sign of any problem, the atmosphere was relaxed.

I have come across many Russians here in Phuket since November last year, they all seem clean, well-dressed, and polite, they are usually a family group.

I saw a long queue outside a very expensive shop in Central Shopping, most of the customers were speaking Russian and did not seem poor as they bought their $1500 handbags, etc.

There are lots of noisy Chinese tourists around at the moment in Phuket, in Tesco last night I was about to enter one of the checkout counters, a Chinese guy saw me and ran from ten yards away to get to the till first, I looked at him with a "that was rude expression", but it did not enter his head what he had done.

But I did not assume all Chinese were like that, in fact when in Hua Hin last week at a 7/11 a group of Chinese was at the checkout, they saw I only had one item and so in very polite English said to me, "after you sir".

Yes, the Russians are relatively well behaved and keep a low profile in my region. I never suggested otherwise. FSB agents and other bureaucrats with their semi identical hairstyles from the military barber are not likely to start a brawl as one sees in Patong or Pattaya. They keep to themselves. The Russian outings to the fish restuarant strip in night market comes in waves. I just came back from dinner and it was mostly Chinese tourists and they too were relatively well behaved.  In fact, it is rather unusual to see a fracas here. Mind you I do  not hang around the old Essan Station  restaurant zone which is the new bar district, so I may miss out on the geriatric fisticuffs. My point is and remains, that I do not see any Russians "stranded" here, nor in dire financial straits. Perhaps there are some in Pattaya, but that is par for the course as Pattaya is an equal opportunity source of hard luck stories.

I was hassled in November on my last visit to Patong. I never get in hassles and keep to myself but because I was American, these 5 Russians thought it was all right to be rude and threatening to me and the Thai restraurant owner who I consider to be a friend . Been coming to Thailand for 30 years and this was the first. It was a sad interaction for me. I hope it gets better and not worst for the wonderful people of Thailand. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vigo said:

Sorry Vigo, but your long answer there does not give one hint of a clue on how you could claim in your original message to which I replied to and I quote again: "Haven't seen any Russian dissidents  or draft dodgers where I am."

Your first 3 paragraphs, well you have seen some russians...well we all have. You have even seen "the older Russians with their guts, chain smoking and some of the ugliest bar trade  types to be seen. " Yeah, take the word "Russians" off that sentence and add any other Western nationality and it still works. Then a weird story about "nationalists" (so what are they doing here? Why are they not fighting in Ukraine?) which I have to take your word for it but, well... I rather not comment on it. However how do you know none of them are dissidents or draft dodgers? The backpackers for example, they must be young and so perhaps they are draft dodgers... we do not know cause you had no contact with them to report to thethaiger's forum, but still you claimed on that same online forum that you "have not seen any draft dodgers". I believe you trust your eyes too much...

The 4th paragraph starts with that sentence: "I have dealt with Russians long before the war and the reality is that they will tell westerners what they want to hear just to get rid of them and to avoid  unpleasant subjects." My reaction to this sentence, honestly Vigo, is: "what the hell is he talking about?". Or more likely, since you obviously do not communicate with them (you keep repeating post after post that you do not like them even before the war) then you can only have a perception inevitably wrong and sadly, you can never be friends with some of them. Russians are indviduals that think for themselves like any other human beings of any nation on this planet, a "united nation" does not exist anywhere, certainly not in Russia. And then you go on with a little dubious page of history as if in the past, only the nation of Russia has done bad things. What has it got to do with Russian people of the 21st century, not sure (I am talking about normal Russian folks, not Putin). I am French, would you think today I have a colonial mentality or I want to enslave black africans like my ancestors did, or even follow nazi oders and persecute jews to send them to camps in Germany as some of my "French fellows" did in WW2? I would not think so...well I hope not. The problem is that the Russian nation of the past seems indeed to be your perception of the Russians today (mainstream narrative propanda transpiring??), which show your lack of knowledge simply due to the fact that you do not know personally any Russian at all, certainly no Russian friends. And most of all, it still does not answer my questions to you.

As for the last paragraph... "stranded". Thethaiger headline is not using the right word, but then it is thethaiger and perhaps they indeed choose that word on purpose for obvious reasons. Perhaps "stuck somehow" is more appropriate: they are able to go back of course but for what? On both sides, facing each other with weapons if they come back or enjoying peaceful time somehow side by sides in Thailand, it is a hard choice which nobody has any right to judge.

But then your long comment does not answer my original questions whatsoever. Or maybe it does...

It is time Thailand government set-up a special fund to support these "Russians & Ukrainians" who were claiming that they cannot go home. Let them stay as long as they like and enjoy life in the land of smiles. Please provide them with all the facilities so that they can enjoy a free life producing more children. Just set-up a fund similar to the UK government which is spending nearly 8 million pounds a month to support the illegal and legal immigrants in UK. Similarly Thailand also can set up one and for sure the entire world will give Thailand a very good smile and golden handshake for the care for them

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Sorry Vigo, but your long answer there does not give one hint of a clue on how you could claim in your original message to which I replied to and I quote again: "Haven't seen any Russian dissidents  or draft dodgers where I am."

Your first 3 paragraphs, well you have seen some russians...well we all have. You have even seen "the older Russians with their guts, chain smoking and some of the ugliest bar trade  types to be seen. " Yeah, take the word "Russians" off that sentence and add any other Western nationality and it still works. Then a weird story about "nationalists" (so what are they doing here? Why are they not fighting in Ukraine?) which I have to take your word for it but, well... I rather not comment on it. However how do you know none of them are dissidents or draft dodgers? The backpackers for example, they must be young and so perhaps they are draft dodgers... we do not know cause you had no contact with them to report to thethaiger's forum, but still you claimed on that same online forum that you "have not seen any draft dodgers". I believe you trust your eyes too much...

The 4th paragraph starts with that sentence: "I have dealt with Russians long before the war and the reality is that they will tell westerners what they want to hear just to get rid of them and to avoid  unpleasant subjects." My reaction to this sentence, honestly Vigo, is: "what the hell is he talking about?". Or more likely, since you obviously do not communicate with them (you keep repeating post after post that you do not like them even before the war) then you can only have a perception inevitably wrong and sadly, you can never be friends with some of them. Russians are indviduals that think for themselves like any other human beings of any nation on this planet, a "united nation" does not exist anywhere, certainly not in Russia. And then you go on with a little dubious page of history as if in the past, only the nation of Russia has done bad things. What has it got to do with Russian people of the 21st century, not sure (I am talking about normal Russian folks, not Putin). I am French, would you think today I have a colonial mentality or I want to enslave black africans like my ancestors did, or even follow nazi oders and persecute jews to send them to camps in Germany as some of my "French fellows" did in WW2? I would not think so...well I hope not. The problem is that the Russian nation of the past seems indeed to be your perception of the Russians today (mainstream narrative propanda transpiring??), which show your lack of knowledge simply due to the fact that you do not know personally any Russian at all, certainly no Russian friends. And most of all, it still does not answer my questions to you.

As for the last paragraph... "stranded". Thethaiger headline is not using the right word, but then it is thethaiger and perhaps they indeed choose that word on purpose for obvious reasons. Perhaps "stuck somehow" is more appropriate: they are able to go back of course but for what? On both sides, facing each other with weapons if they come back or enjoying peaceful time somehow side by sides in Thailand, it is a hard choice which nobody has any right to judge.

But then your long comment does not answer my original questions whatsoever. Or maybe it does...

You object to my statement that I have not seen any Russian dissidents or draft dodgers where I am, as if certain the place is full of them. I have met Russian dissidents before. They have either been persecuted Christians who are not of Russian Orthodox faith, or deeply sincere people of the Navalny type. I would not even call them dissidents, but people who aspire for a Russia ruled by fairness and justice. In respect to the Navalny type, I worked with some on a project.   If you think dissident today means waving a sign and protesting Putin aloud you are mistaken. However, these people do not associate with the mainstream Russian vistors, and they have no presence  here acording to my specialty chat group that has multiple Russian members. So yes, I know what Russian objectors to Ukraine war are like and how careful they are. I also know they are internet savvy and communicate with support groups via the internet. It is that support network that sustains their hope and spirit as they receive no support from foreign governments. They are not dissidents in the conventional sense either as they hold a deep love of their homeland and are proud to be Russian. They object to the Putin doctrine.

Nowhere have I said that I hate or dislike the Russians.  You assume many things. I just know their history and what Russians have done for centuries. The war in Ukraine and the ethnic hatred is endemic It is as if it is given from mother's breast for children to suckle. You argue that Russians are individuals and think for themselves. How little you know of the Russian education system under Putin. it is an indoctrination program and there has been a return to the Group think of the pre glasnost period. Almost a century ago, modern Russia organized the great famine of the Ukraine that starved an estimated 5 million Ukrainians to death. This  event is not mentioned in Russian school texts, so most Russians do not know. Nor is the savage surprise invasion of Poland mentioned nor the historic jew pogroms. Germany  has the burden of the holocaust, but Russia never acknowledged its genocides that were far worse. That's why there is a cohesiveness  within Russia as to their execution of the war: The country can do no wrong. You opine as to the individualism of the Russian. How wrong you are. If you are such good friends with Russian opponents of putin, then this would be one of the first things they would note - their frustration at the difficulty in making change because of the monolithic group think mentality. 

Russia does not have a culture of free thought. There is a survivalist individualism that encourages a selfish mentality. That is why I hold the view that the majority of those opposed to their own participation in the war and who are in Thailand, are not dissidents, but rather people who do not wish to put themselves at risk. They have no moral objection per se, but object to the personal risk or inconvenience. They do not disagree with Russia political conquest goals per se, just their having to put some skin into the game. Ask your Russian friends what they think, and you will find they agree with my view.

It is not a hard choice "which nobody has a right to judge." On the contrary, we must as stand against the Russian aggression and continued targeting of non combatants. You offer a defacto endorsement of the murder of civilians of the targeting of nurseries and hospitals. You want to know what dissidents look like: Remember the Afghan or Iraq wars when  hundreds of thousands came out to protest? Not a word from Russians, either in the country or outside. On the contrary, there have been multiple incidents in the UK and Canada where Russian community have targeted Ukrainians for harrassment. Canada in particular has a problem with its Russian emigres who have been vocal in support of the war. 

Your reference to France and colonial past and role in WWII is appropriate, but not for the basis you promote. On the contrary, yours is an example of the mentality that allowed the Germans to easily capture France. After WWII when French people were asked why they did not resist like the heroic Dutch and Danish,, the common response was, I was in the resistance, and fought back. If every Frenchman had been in the resistance, Germany would not have consumed the country and ruled with little difficulty.

The Russians in Thailand are here because they are unwelcome in the free world and can access their  money in Thailand using Chinese and Gulf arab banks. Thailand is their premier destination for low cost holiday now and they have easy and frequent access via multiple scheduled and charter air service. They are not here because they are "stranded" due to objection to  war. Some may not want to go back for fear of being drafted, but according to Russia, no one need fear the draft. Those that have financial problems would have been the same type to have financial problems before the war.  Yes, you may see different  in Pattaya amongst your clientele, and I accept that. However, here in my region  there are no "dissenters", just well connected  supporters of the Putin machine. I offer that the same holds true for Phuket where Russian money has poured in and where there are easy jobs for Russian emigres as the Russians prefer to hire their own, even under the table. 

As for the "stranded: Ukrainians, they can access flights too and Ukraine will  assist anyone who wishes to to return. (THere is a fund for this. Also USA, Canada, and EU have provided refugee  support funding for these people.) The Ukrainians who are able to contribute to the resistance (e.g. single people  19-40) and who refuse to return or to fight from outside the country are cowards and not worth any sympathy. Harsh, but they shoukld not expect their country people to carry the burden while they tan in the sun.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 10:40 PM, Vigo said:

Yes, the Russians are relatively well behaved and keep a low profile in my region. I never suggested otherwise. FSB agents and other bureaucrats with their semi identical hairstyles from the military barber are not likely to start a brawl as one sees in Patong or Pattaya. They keep to themselves. The Russian outings to the fish restuarant strip in night market comes in waves. I just came back from dinner and it was mostly Chinese tourists and they too were relatively well behaved.  In fact, it is rather unusual to see a fracas here. Mind you I do  not hang around the old Essan Station  restaurant zone which is the new bar district, so I may miss out on the geriatric fisticuffs. My point is and remains, that I do not see any Russians "stranded" here, nor in dire financial straits. Perhaps there are some in Pattaya, but that is par for the course as Pattaya is an equal opportunity source of hard luck stories.

I see, I mistook your comment as being anti-Russian.👍

I think many of them can afford to pay the 600k baht for a five-year Elite Pass visa, of course, there will be some who are a bit 'dodgy' but that applies to all nationalities. 

So far a whole lot of opinions from people who know squat about Russians who are reluctant to leave. True they have a tendency for drink and rowdiness. Many are boisterous and feel entitled due to their wealth.  But those who claim they are unable to return home due to the war and cannot afford to pay for their accommodations should be put to work at standard Thai wages to fill the shortage of unskilled labor hotels keep clamoring about.  NO freebies. Let them work in the hospitality area which claims to lack sufficient help.   Then we’ll see if returning to Russia might not be more feasible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BJoe said:

So far a whole lot of opinions from people who know squat about Russians who are reluctant to leave. True they have a tendency for drink and rowdiness. Many are boisterous and feel entitled due to their wealth.  But those who claim they are unable to return home due to the war and cannot afford to pay for their accommodations should be put to work at standard Thai wages to fill the shortage of unskilled labor hotels keep clamoring about.  NO freebies. Let them work in the hospitality area which claims to lack sufficient help.   Then we’ll see if returning to Russia might not be more feasible.

Great, so you can buy a few hotels in say Phuket and let the so-called rowdy Russians work in them.

No uptake?

But you do want other people to risk their hotel businesses by hiring people who will ruin their business?

I sometimes wonder what planet some people live on.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Great, so you can buy a few hotels in say Phuket and let the so-called rowdy Russians work in them.

No uptake?

But you do want other people to risk their hotel businesses by hiring people who will ruin their business?

I sometimes wonder what planet some people live on.

Stereotype much? 

6 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Stereotype much? 

You must have misread my sarcasm as the comment I was replying to was indeed stereotypical. 

Edited by JamesR
typo
  • Cool 1

On 3/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, Vigo said:

Stranded is not an accurate term. There is air service  to and from Russia. Same for Ukraine. Ukrainians can go back but choose to stay. Haven't seen any Russian dissidents  or draft dodgers where I am. If Russians have financial problems, I have not seen it. Bars and restos are packed with them here.

If they are buying up condos etc they can hardly be short of money.  They all look pretty prosperous to me. 

8 hours ago, BJoe said:

I don't care about them or their problems. I wouldn't cross the road to pxxx on them if they were on fire. They should be shipped home so that they can watch at close quarters, as their countrymen and women commit genocide in Ukraine, not spend their time on the beach, drinking Mai Tais .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

If they are buying up condos etc they can hardly be short of money.  They all look pretty prosperous to me. 

The ones I see in Phuket look prosperous, they are good for business to the locals I suppose, why should the locals care what is going on in Europe, we don't care what is going on outside our sphere of self-interest. 

• Like 1

I don't care about them or their problems. I wouldn't cross the road to pxxx on them if they were on fire. They should be shipped home so that they can watch at close quarters, as their countrymen and women commit genocide in Ukraine, not spend their time on the beach, drinking Mai Tais .  

Mai Tais, that is what I would choose to do if I was from a totaliarian state who would not think twice about shooting me or my family if I/we disagree with any of their policies.

As an aside, I notice that there is targeted selling to Russian language speakers for holiday home purchases in Pattaya, and Samui. On my instagram feed the ads show up as promoting condos in Pattaya, and both villa ownership and rental on Samui. 

7 minutes ago, Vigo said:

As an aside, I notice that there is targeted selling to Russian language speakers for holiday home purchases in Pattaya, and Samui. On my instagram feed the ads show up as promoting condos in Pattaya, and both villa ownership and rental on Samui. 

Pattaya?

They must be targeting the not-so-well-off dim Russians then who are covered in tattoos. 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

The ones I see in Phuket look prosperous, they are good for business to the locals I suppose, why should the locals care what is going on in Europe, we don't care what is going on outside our sphere of self-interest. 

True, but that shows their complete lack of interest in the rest of human kind, to their own detriment.  What they don't seem to realise is that if Russia should win, then China gets a green light for the take over Taiwan and then the rest of Asia become slaves to the megalomaniacs in  China, as if they weren't already.  They should worry.  Their best interests are served by Russia losing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Mai Tais, that is what I would choose to do if I was from a totaliarian state who would not think twice about shooting me or my family if I/we disagree with any of their policies.

I would sincerely hope that I would fight to change it, not skulk around  on a foreign beach, while other,  braver folk tried. 

• Like 2

True, but that shows their complete lack of interest in the rest of human kind, to their own detriment.  What they don't seem to realise is that if Russia should win, then China gets a green light for the take over Taiwan and then the rest of Asia become slaves to the megalomaniacs in  China, as if they weren't already.  They should worry.  Their best interests are served by Russia losing. 

There are millions dying around the world each year through poverty, and wars that have been going on in places like Africa for years, we don't give a sod about them, we are only interested in the Ukraine war as it is in our backyard.