News Forum - Managing blacktip reef sharks in Maya Bay, Thailand

Thaiger

The National Parks Department of Thailand aims to enhance the management of the country’s popular tourist conservation areas following the return of blacktip reef sharks to Maya Bay. Maya Bay was closed for four years, from 2018 to 2022, to facilitate the recovery of the island’s wildlife. The bay’s popularity surged after the release of …

The story Managing blacktip reef sharks in Maya Bay, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These are harmless to man, they might bite if they feel threatened, in which case they will warn us, by arching their backs like cats.

Because this species is easy to transit and care for, it's, a common exhibit, in public aquaria. But it has a reputation for being nippier than, for example, sand tiger and sandbar sharks, or hammerheads, or nurse and zebra sharks. You can see similar behavior from these wild sharks towards man, being a bit unpredictable and standoffish, potentially nippy like a pissed off hit and run, but no serious damage.

It's generally safe to feed them with your hand, but wear mail gloves

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

These are harmless to man, they might bite if they feel threatened, in which case they will warn us, by arching their backs like cats.

Because this species is easy to transit and care for, it's, a common exhibit, in public aquaria. But it has a reputation for being nippier than, for example, sand tiger and sandbar sharks, or hammerheads, or nurse and zebra sharks. You can see similar behavior from these wild sharks towards man, being a bit unpredictable and standoffish, potentially nippy like a pissed off hit and run, but no serious damage.

It's generally safe to feed them with your hand, but wear mail gloves

Not quite - they are responsible for more shark  bites than any other species. But that is because people come into contact with them more than any other shark species, and a lot of the people that do come into contact with them don't understand that "you are crowding me" body posture. I have actually had one that appeared to be swimming straight at me at high speed, only to go under me (just) - it was actually chasing a small fish.

• Thanks 1

There is a reason our very distant ancestors crawled out of the ocean. It's just too bloody dodgy in there.

I have an ongoing peace accord with all marine life. I stay out the water and they stay off the land.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Not quite - they are responsible for more shark  bites than any other species. But that is because people come into contact with them more than any other shark species, and a lot of the people that do come into contact with them don't understand that "you are crowding me" body posture. I have actually had one that appeared to be swimming straight at me at high speed, only to go under me (just) - it was actually chasing a small fish.

I was in Phi Phi 2 weeks ago and saw two Black Tip Reef sharks just by snorkeling off the beach at my hotel

I was excited

But because they aren't that colorful, you lose sight of them quickly

So I started following them but then thought they may think that is too aggreessive and react....