News Forum - Phuket’s red card system for foreigners nabs 6

Thaiger

37 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

But is it so? 

I am relying on the quote from @MrStretch

It's just a perception on my part, but I think that since the pandemic, standards of behaviour have declined, and that we have given people alibis for this, such as stated concerns about mental health for those in lockdown. I can understand loneliness and isolation having an effect on mental health, but just how lonely and isolated were we, say compared to those in prisons. I just got the impression that during lockdown, the real mental health issue, was impinging on peoples sense of entitlement.

I fully understand why domestic violence increased, though I don't condone it. But for most of us, compared to what prisoners have to endure every day, mental health issues were in my opinion hardly a realistic excuse for bad behaviour. If they were, prisons, where inflicting loneliness is part of the "treatment", would all be madhouses.

Though I admit it is just a perception on my part, I found this: https://www.cureus.com/articles/115745-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-the-behaviors-and-attitudes-of-children-and-adolescents-a-cross-sectional-study#:~:text=Governments around the world have imposed social distancing during the,traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Extract: "Governments around the world have imposed social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to adverse short-term and long-term negative mental health issues such as unhappiness, fear, worry, irritability, depressive symptoms, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

23 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

I am relying on the quote from @MrStretch

It's just a perception on my part, but I think that since the pandemic, standards of behaviour have declined, and that we have given people alibis for this, such as stated concerns about mental health for those in lockdown. I can understand loneliness and isolation having an effect on mental health, but just how lonely and isolated were we, say compared to those in prisons. I just got the impression that during lockdown, the real mental health issue, was impinging on peoples sense of entitlement.

I fully understand why domestic violence increased, though I don't condone it. But for most of us, compared to what prisoners have to endure every day, mental health issues were in my opinion hardly a realistic excuse for bad behaviour. If they were, prisons, where inflicting loneliness is part of the "treatment", would all be madhouses.

Though I admit it is just a perception on my part, I found this: https://www.cureus.com/articles/115745-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-the-behaviors-and-attitudes-of-children-and-adolescents-a-cross-sectional-study#:~:text=Governments around the world have imposed social distancing during the,traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Extract: "Governments around the world have imposed social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to adverse short-term and long-term negative mental health issues such as unhappiness, fear, worry, irritability, depressive symptoms, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

I've not noticed anything different myself. Not saying it's not though

• Cool 1

34 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It was a good lesson for me, so now I do not have a single drop of anything alcoholic when driving, I get dropped off and picked up or order a taxi when going home.

The funny thing was even after drinking the two small beers I had that night I was still ten times safer at driving than the local drivers who don't seem to follow many of the driving rules. 

But it is all good fun.

Similar. My wife is teetotal so she drives us home. 

It's never about anything other than taking money though in Thailand. The idea that it's about public safety is laughable. 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:41 AM, JamesR said:

In Thailand, there is a very easy 'cure' if someone is over the drink/drive limit.

It involves the policeman who gave you the breathalyzer test driving your car to an ATM,  you are then a passenger, you withdraw twenty thousand baht, you hand it over, the policeman will drive around the corner from the police station where he gets out and tells you you are OK to drive home. 

They should patent the cure.

What happed to my wife

She got banged up.

Then blamed me that she had to pay too much because she has a farang last name!

35 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

What happed to my wife

She got banged up.

But the name on her Thai passport, Thai ID, and driving licence would have still been in her Thai name?

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What happed to my wife

She got banged up.

That's why I bribed them. To avoid getting banged up. 😊

It was cheaper too. 

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

But the name on her Thai passport, Thai ID, and driving licence would have still been in her Thai name?

Why would that be? Presumably after marriage she changed her name. 

" abiding by Thailand’s laws and regulations should keep foreign visitors out of trouble."

I note they say 'should' not will, is that maybe a nod to the fact that they know some will fall foul of scams perpetrated by the police to solicit bribes even though they have not committed any crimes?

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

What do you mean? 

Her last name is my last name

It's on all her ID's and Passports 

Her legal last name is mine, so that's the name on her ID

59 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That's why I bribed them. To avoid getting banged up. 😊

It was cheaper too. 

She did too!

But she was blaming me that they made her pay a bigger bribed because she and a farang last name!!  5555

59 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Yeah didn't understand that by @JamesR

She went and officially changed her last name the day after we got married 

9 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

No, all the Thais I know married to Brits have a Thai passport, a Thai ID, and a Thai driving licence in their original Thai name.

Plus a Brit passport and a driving licence in the UK in the married name. 

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What do you mean? 

Her last name is my last name

It's on all her ID's and Passports 

Her legal last name is mine, so that's the name on her ID

That is a disadvantage, should keep both sets of ID's.

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

She did too!

But she was blaming me that they made her pay a bigger bribed because she and a farang last name!!  5555

I paid 20,000 baht, and a Thai woman and farang (not related) I found out later spent a night in the cells, went to court, and paid 30,000 baht, I got a 'pay early' discount. 😄

That is a disadvantage, should keep both sets of ID's.

Why is it a disadvantage? 

No, all the Thais I know married to Brits have a Thai passport, a Thai ID, and a Thai driving licence in their original Thai name.

Plus a Brit passport and a driving licence in the UK in the married name. 

Not saying that's not the case, but applying for a British passport when you have another passport issued under another name is problematic, and the applicant will have to provide evidence as to why they can't change the name in the foreign passport. 

Seems a very strange way of doing things. 

It's  just easier when everyone has the same name. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/names-aligning-names-on-foreign-documents/names-aligning-names-on-foreign-documents-accessible

56 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Not saying that's not the case, but applying for a British passport when you have another passport issued under another name is problematic, and the applicant will have to provide evidence as to why they can't change the name in the foreign passport. 

Seems a very strange way of doing things. 

It's  just easier when everyone has the same name. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/names-aligning-names-on-foreign-documents/names-aligning-names-on-foreign-documents-accessible

Thanks for the info.

Things must have changed from when I was involved with all of that stuff. 👍

I went to the Thai Embassy in London two years ago, I had two Thai birth certificates produced for my two sons (Thai mother) and found if they take the certificates with them to Thailand they can apply for the following......

Even though the sons were born in England and have only been to Thailand for short holidays they are entitled to a Thai passport and a Thai ID which will be handy if I buy a house here as it can be put safely in one of their names as they would inherit everything I have anyway.

Very useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Why is it a disadvantage? 

It seems to help by having a Thai ID in a Thai name when dealing with the bribes we have to pay the council to expedite land/house/building issues.

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for the info.

Things must have changed from when I was involved with all of that stuff. 👍

I went to the Thai Embassy in London two years ago, I had two Thai birth certificates produced for my two sons (Thai mother) and found if they take the certificates with them to Thailand they can apply for the following......

Even though the sons were born in England and have only been to Thailand for short holidays they are entitled to a Thai passport and a Thai ID which will be handy if I buy a house here as it can be put safely in one of their names as they would inherit everything I have anyway.

Very useful.

They can have Thai Passports and ID'S but only their legal name is legal

I wouldn't advise anyone to use 2 names 

Especially if they intend to travel and obtain Citizenship