News Forum - Phuket’s red card system for foreigners nabs 6

Thaiger

Phuket Immigration has announced those punished with their new yellow card and red card system for misbehaving foreigners. The new trial system was established to combat claims that law-breaking foreigners didn’t know the rules so, much like a football game, Phuket Immigration has implemented a yellow and red card system as a warning system. If …

The story Phuket’s red card system for foreigners nabs 6 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why wanted to report to the consulates? Consulates are not responsible for the misbehavior of these foreigners. It is like the class teach reporting to the head of the school regarding student's behavior. Just give a nice kick in their butts for the office that has been committed. Simple as that. There is a proverb in Tamil...."If you take the cane in your hand then the monkey will dance to your tune"...Just do that. Look how these hooligans' behave in the recent foot ball world cup 2022 in Qatar. That is the typical example on how to control them with enforcement. 

Keep that idiotic stupid card thing out of CM. Does anyone know if the yellow card drops off  or continually stays on the record? Not that I ever get in trouble l, well at least not yet but anything is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Immigration Police can't arrest, jail or deport anybody if it isn't covered under the existing the Thai Legal Framework. I agree with foreign criminals being deported after serving whatever punative sentences that they have incurred if deportation is enshrined in the law. 

The fact that foreigners are being publicly outed with red or yellow cards is xenophobia at play.

• Like 3

No problem with this as long as they actually clarify which crimes exactly will earn you a card. Keeping it vague is just more room for corruption and envelopes changing hands. But of course this won't happen. TiT

• Like 3

I've been laughing at the Thai childishness of the yellow card/red card system since it was introduced.

I agree that out-of-control, law-breaking tourists should be punished but there are laws for a reason and if the BiB wants to control law breaking, then they just need to enforce the laws that are already on the books.

This is more of the wishy-washy "Thailand's tourism reputation" nonsense.

It's been well noted that since the end of the pandemic travel restrictions that civility is much less on display. Any excuse not to put a check on the new incivility seems to be the order of the day. It's a poor choice.

The only reasonable way to deal with a law breaker is to charge him with a crime, punish him, and if that criminal is a foreigner, deport him.

If they want to improve or put a solid gold sticker on those families and upper income tourists they keep fawning over, putting the yobbos on notice that their shenanigans won't be tolerated would be one of the strongest things they could do.

THAT would improve Thailand's tourism reputation.

• Like 1

Tourists seem to be held to higher standards than Thais. Drink driving is a red or yellow card for tourists yet if you're Thai, it's only 3 points on your license which means you can get caught 3 times in 1 year without getting a driving ban.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I've been laughing at the Thai childishness of the yellow card/red card system since it was introduced.

I agree that out-of-control, law-breaking tourists should be punished but there are laws for a reason and if the BiB wants to control law breaking, then they just need to enforce the laws that are already on the books.

This is more of the wishy-washy "Thailand's tourism reputation" nonsense.

It's been well noted that since the end of the pandemic travel restrictions that civility is much less on display. Any excuse not to put a check on the new incivility seems to be the order of the day. It's a poor choice.

The only reasonable way to deal with a law breaker is to charge him with a crime, punish him, and if that criminal is a foreigner, deport him.

If they want to improve or put a solid gold sticker on those families and upper income tourists they keep fawning over, putting the yobbos on notice that their shenanigans won't be tolerated would be one of the strongest things they could do.

THAT would improve Thailand's tourism reputation.

But what if the yobbos and upper income tourists are in fact the same people? There's no shortage of rich entitled morons out there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarangandEarnest said:

But what if the yobbos and upper income tourists are in fact the same people? There's no shortage of rich entitled morons out there.

Then enforce the applicable law.  The yellow/red card is just an embarrassing policy for the Thais to come up with and push.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, FarangandEarnest said:

Tourists seem to be held to higher standards than Thais. Drink driving is a red or yellow card for tourists yet if you're Thai, it's only 3 points on your license which means you can get caught 3 times in 1 year without getting a driving ban.

Have you got a link for that? It looks contrary to what I have read https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/Country statement - Thailand- Relevant Laws related to Drink Driving.pdf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Then enforce the applicable law.  The yellow/red card is just an embarrassing policy for the Thais to come up with and push.

The problem with this is from how I see it they can initiate giving a card at their whim not using reason and discretion. Say the tourist active or looking unruly or combative but not going 5that next step and getting a card, or how about just even being immature and tossing a bottle just to see it break or even riding a scooter without a license or having a helmet on and getting caught, running a red light even, or they simply just base an infraction of disturbing the public in anyway. Now disturbing the public is what exactly? Swearing with profanity out loud, egging someone on to fight, smoking in a public place, playing loud music, being intoxicated but even if you are still a happy person, walking in the street, you name it then it could be manipulated and trumped up on.

And the other side of it is once you get a yellow card my guess is it does not drop off as is entered into their system, and there was one article that said once you leave here with a yellow card you more than likely will not be able to return on your next trip, but that also may be up to the IO checking you in at the gate. And realistically we are all still just tourists.

• Like 1

"The most common offences involve drunk driving, overstaying, illegally entering the kingdom and working without a permit."

Apart from DUI, everything else should, to my understanding, be an automatic expulsion from the Kingdom. Happy for the card system for DUI, but why just target farang? What about the huge local population of smashed and drugged drivers? Are they special, or is this just another way to target tourists?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

"The most common offences involve drunk driving, overstaying, illegally entering the kingdom and working without a permit."

Apart from DUI, everything else should, to my understanding, be an automatic expulsion from the Kingdom. Happy for the card system for DUI, but why just target farang? What about the huge local population of smashed and drugged drivers? Are they special, or is this just another way to target tourists?

No, to both of these questions, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

5 hours ago, Khunmark said:

No, to both of these questions, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

you may need the services of an optometrist. Be careful crossing a busy street.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

In Thailand, there is a very easy 'cure' if someone is over the drink/drive limit.

It involves the policeman who gave you the breathalyzer test driving your car to an ATM,  you are then a passenger, you withdraw twenty thousand baht, you hand it over, the policeman will drive around the corner from the police station where he gets out and tells you you are OK to drive home. 

They should patent the cure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

In Thailand, there is a very easy 'cure' if someone is over the drink/drive limit.

It involves the policeman who gave you the breathalyzer test driving your car to an ATM,  you are then a passenger, you withdraw twenty thousand baht, you hand it over, the policeman will drive around the corner from the police station where he gets out and tells you you are OK to drive home. 

PS, be aware, if you do not have a Thai driving licence but an international one the drink/drive limit is not much more than a small beer so be careful as some of us have been caught out by not knowing that. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If there are so many foreigners causing trouble in Thailand, it is attracting all the wrong tourists into Thailand.

So much for high quality tourists.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, MrStretch said:

It's been well noted that since the end of the pandemic travel restrictions that civility is much less on display.

Serious question: Does anvbody know why this is so?

On 3/27/2023 at 5:41 PM, JamesR said:

That was not how it happened on the two occasions I got done. 

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That was not how it happened on the two occasions I got done. 

It was a good lesson for me, so now I do not have a single drop of anything alcoholic when driving, I get dropped off and picked up or order a taxi when going home.

The funny thing was even after drinking the two small beers I had that night I was still ten times safer at driving than the local drivers who don't seem to follow many of the driving rules. 

But it is all good fun.