News Forum - Authorities warn of huge fines or jail for smoking on Hua Hin Beach

Thaiger

Hua Hin authorities really aren’t playing around about keeping Hua Hin Beach clean. Authorities have launched a new campaign to discourage smoking on the beach, warning that anyone caught lighting up could face a fine of up to 100,000 baht (roughly £2,200) or up to one year in jail. On Thursday, officials visited the beach …

The story Authorities warn of huge fines or jail for smoking on Hua Hin Beach as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"100,000 baht fines" and "1 yaer"

Why oh why, with all of the capable foreigners in this country, don't they hire someone to proofread and avoid being laughed at for the simplest of errors?

When I visited Hua Hin beach for the first and last time in 2009, the biggest problem regarding cleanliness were the horses tourists used to ride up and down the beach. They left manure and urine on the beach, which in my opinion was a bigger problem than cigarette smoke.

Does this include a BJ under a towel? Actually not a big deal to walk off the sand (beach) to have a smoke. Just dispose of it properly and be courteous of people who don't like it. Thailand does not need to turn into a Nanny state. And it is going that way with people like fatheaded Chuwitt the lord of soapy massages now anti weed! I am now soooo against this putz.

I would have thought that plastic waste was a much bigger problem but dog ends from smokers are unsightly and being caught would not be an option with that hefty fine!! 

59 minutes ago, Smiler said:

I would have thought that plastic waste was a much bigger problem but dog ends from smokers are unsightly and being caught would not be an option with that hefty fine!! 

That is the last step why I will never ever go with my family to that area of Hua-trash ever again. Dung heave of beaches. 

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

That is the last step why I will never ever go with my family to that area of Hua-trash ever again. Dung heave of beaches. 

I definitely wouldn't call Hua Hin Beach beautiful by any means

But if you just go down a bit from the center it gets open and pretty clean

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I definitely wouldn't call Hua Hin Beach beautiful by any means

But if you just go down a bit from the center it gets open and pretty clean

Some people are never happy it's a city beach. Not directed at you. Don't like crowds and all that comes with it then move further south towards Khao Takiab, or even the other side of it which tends to be more popular with locals, Thais and expats. 

Want the beach to yourself then head Pran Buri, Sam Roi Yod way. 

59 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Some people are never happy it's a city beach. Not directed at you. Don't like crowds and all that comes with it then move further south towards Khao Takiab, or even the other side of it which tends to be more popular with locals, Thais and expats. 

Want the beach to yourself then head Pran Buri, Sam Roi Yod way. 

Yes  agreed

It suits me fine for a weekend

And if you don't want the crowds you don't even have to go as far as Khao Takiab

Walk 5mins away from where the Hilton is and it can be pretty deserted

My wife LOVES Cha Am beach

Actually she's there now

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes  agreed

It suits me fine for a weekend

And if you don't want the crowds you don't even have to go as far as Khao Takiab

Walk 5mins away from where the Hilton is and it can be pretty deserted

My wife LOVES Cha Am beach

Actually she's there now

Not sure how it is now, but last time I was in Cha-am, maybe a year or so ago there had been some major storm damage just before, massive erosion from the front, and loads of the big trees that made it attractive had fallen over. 

Not been back since so I hope it's looking better. 

5 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Not sure how it is now, but last time I was in Cha-am, maybe a year or so ago there had been some major storm damage just before, massive erosion from the front, and loads of the big trees that made it attractive had fallen over. 

Not been back since so I hope it's looking better. 

My wife and the Thais wouldn't care

As long as the food keeps coming 5555

On 3/25/2023 at 4:37 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

Hope this does not applicable for foreigners as they are the main source of income to Hua Hin.

Not at all. There weere less than 3,000 foreigners  living in Hua Hin last estimate (pre covid it was 4,000).  Hua Hin is a center of local education and has multiple military facilities and bases. It serves as a commercial "town center" for surrounding region and holds multiple municipal and provincial offices including administration and judicial.  Yes, tourism is  important, but majority of  valuable  foreigners do not go to beach to smoke. They play golf, and tennis. and run their businesses or work. Hua Hin is  Bangkok's middle and upper class vacation destination for weekends and holidays. 

many moons ago we were welcomed,even the local immigration people were friendly,times has changed in recent years ,threating jailtime for people smoking or feeding the fish or paragliding  is not spreading happiness. we now have new kids on the block, coming off a long convey belt  

Will this end up like the purge on littering in Bangkok a few years back?  Hunting down and fining the miscreant foreigners while completely ignoring the mountains of rubbish left behind by assorted local vendors?