News Forum - Shameless Bangkok taxi driver swindles foreigner at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Thaiger

Another Bangkok taxi driver has brought shame to the capital by swindling a foreign customer at Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The driver has been subsequently banned for life from picking up passengers at Bangkok’s premier airport and authorities say his license could be revoked. The unnamed taxi driver last week allegedly used a fake list of …

The story Shameless Bangkok taxi driver swindles foreigner at Suvarnabhumi Airport as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One taxi driver tried something similar with a mate of mine and I... both my friend and I have lived here a LONG time and he has already got his Thai citizenship - so the driver picked the wrong ones to try to cheat. He refused to open the meter, and when challenged he tried to show us a web page in Thai on his phone and said "You don't know about Thai law..." - supposedly about him not having to use a meter... except that we both then told him in Thai that we both lived here many years and DO know the law and that his registration number will be reported!

We then left the car and caught another taxi - who didn't try it on as he had seen us take a photo of the previous cars rego...

• Like 6

"Bangkok’s premier airport and authorities say his license could be revoked."...however it is yet to be revoked and it might not be revoked at all. Just avoid all the taxi service and arrange with your hotel or use public  transport. 

• Like 1

"the driver may have cheated other tourists on other occasions" 

There is a small possibility that may have occurred 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Another Bangkok taxi driver has brought shame to the capital by swindling a foreign customer at Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The driver has been subsequently banned for life from picking up passengers at Bangkok’s premier airport and authorities say his license could be revoked.

He should be jailed for cheating.

• Like 1

No suprise with this news. My Thai wife of 33 years and I previously arranged for a van from the hotel to pick us up at Suvarnabhumi. On our last visit the hotel dropped the ball and forgot to arrange transportation (lucky for us). The cost was always B1200 - B1500. We found it is easier and more cost effective to get a taxi waiting at the airport taxi stand. We needed a larger taxi because we had 4 large 32 kg bags and 6 carry on bags. It cost B600 (because it is a bigger vehicle) to Asia Hotel at the Ratchatewi BTS. He used the meter. He was happy. We were happy. we tipped him B100. Also, some taxi drivers were buttheads, but most were friendly and courteous. Beware of the bad apples and it shows right away if you got one. 

Edited by Jsureemee

I can’t see the problem of rogue taxi drivers ever being solved, yes there are lots of good guys out there who happily use the meter and are pleasant to deal with but there are just too many greedy con artists out there driving taxis and giving Thailand a bad image, the government unfortunately don’t want to tackle the problem, I guess there is no money in it for them. 

• Like 1

" sparked concern among the authorities and tourists alike, who fear that such scams could tarnish the image of Thailand and negatively impact the tourism industry"

So concerned that although EVERYONE knows it has been going on for decades nothing much is ever done about it apart from when some tourist posts it on social media or gets the press to run it when a token taxi driver is prosecuted.

• Like 2

I really think someone is struggling to find any worthwhile news. This has happened to me numerous times the last when I returned to Thailand in January this year. Poor journalism. Sorry.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smiler said:

I can’t see the problem of rogue taxi drivers ever being solved, yes there are lots of good guys out there who happily use the meter and are pleasant to deal with but there are just too many greedy con artists out there driving taxis and giving Thailand a bad image, the government unfortunately don’t want to tackle the problem, I guess there is no money in it for them. 

+1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Somsakandme said:

I really think someone is struggling to find any worthwhile news. This has happened to me numerous times the last when I returned to Thailand in January this year. Poor journalism. Sorry.

So....suppress such incidents?

• Like 1