News Forum - Australian tourist dies at famous cave in Krabi

Thaiger

An Australian tourist tragically died at a famous cave in Krabi yesterday. The 70 year old man died after his gruelling journey to the Tiger Cave, which involves a 1,260 step stair-climb. Rescuers and a doctor took over an hour to walk up the steps, after they were alerted that a tourist was unconscious at …

The story Australian tourist dies at famous cave in Krabi as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

May be the local authorities should put up a big gigantic notice at the entrance...."Climb at Your Own Risk. We Cannot Guarantee Your Steps Down"

16 minutes ago, kalyan said:

At least they need to come with an Age barrier + health precautions notification.

Most of foreigners come to Thailand to die !

They do?

22 minutes ago, kalyan said:

At least they need to come with an Age barrier + health precautions notification.

Whatever you're smoking I'd suggest laying off, chill out.  Think before posting.

• Like 2

One can't help but want to ask these people, "walk much?"

If you're elderly or not in shape, probably not a good idea making this trek.

I am 75... went to this tourist attraction and chose to wait for the others to make the climb and return and pick me up on their return... growing old is just not fair sometimes... know your limits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skip said:

I am 75... went to this tourist attraction and chose to wait for the others to make the climb and return and pick me up on their return... growing old is just not fair sometimes... know your limits.

Same here, I am 68 and with a worn out knee and a history of heart disease there is no way that I would have attempted that climb. As you say, growing old just doesn't seem fair sometimes - I am doing my best to grow old disgracefully, but all to often these days my body just doesn't want to co-operate.

• Like 1

Went up there in my twenties carrying a 2 year old the whole way up. 

Absolute nightmare. Its a tough climb in the best of health. 

For some of these older folks, they should know their limits a bit more. Just because the girl is 25, that don't make you 25!

• Haha 2

I did the trip last year, at age 81. Took about an hour and a bit -early in the day  and it was still very hot on that south facing cliff. There seems to be the usual prejudice against "the elderly" here. As is seen in the US where I am from as "ageism". Would these generalisations  be "ok" if the man was younger but happened to have black skin? 

The issue is fittness, not age.

As we age we need to maintain fitmess and flexibility and to keep the weight off. More maintenance is required, along withregular medical check ups, and sometimes some new parts like knee joints. Hiking, biking, swimming, sailing, kayaking, paddle boarding and a little weight training all keep me fit. I love the trip up to Tiger Mountain and will do it again later in the Fall in my annual visits to Thailand which I love. It is one of the few countries left where respect for "seniors" is still common - and very much appreciated. I always feel welcome and appreciated, which is wonderful.

Everyone needs to be cognizant of their limits, of course  - no matter what the age. There are many warnings posted in English about the strenuous nature of the trip. Perhaps he had an undiagnosed heart problem - hopefully the autopsy will  reveal the cause

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yachtman said:

I did the trip last year, at age 81. Took about an hour and a bit -early in the day  and it was still very hot on that south facing cliff. There seems to be the usual prejudice against "the elderly" here. As is seen in the US where I am from as "ageism". Would these generalisations  be "ok" if the man was younger but happened to have black skin? 

As we age we need to maintain fitmess and flexibility and to keep the weight off. More maintenance is required, along withregular medical check ups, and sometimes some new parts like knee joints. Hiking, biking, swimming, sailing, kayaking, paddle boarding and a little weight training all keep me fit. I love the trip up to Tiger Mountain and will do it again later in the Fall in my annual visits to Thailand which I love. It is one of the few countries left where respect for "seniors" is still common - and very much appreciated. I always feel welcome and appreciated, which is wonderful.

Everyone needs to be cognizant of their limits, of course  - no matter what the age. There are many warnings posted in English about the strenuous nature of the trip. Perhaps he had an undiagnosed heart problem - hopefully the autopsy will  reveal the cause

Agreed, the issue is fitness. But the sad fact is that the older peeps are, the less healthy they are,  (generally) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yachtman said:

As someone from the US also I have to agree that ageism is a big thing here.  I'm not at the age yet where it would effect me but I do notice it.  

On 3/18/2023 at 5:01 PM, Thaiger said:

The 70 year old man died after his gruelling journey to the Tiger Cave, which involves a 1,260 step stair-climb.

The stair climb is not leading to a cave, but to the temple/viewpoint on the top of the mountain. Years ago I did it at age 53. I was fully determined to give up and go down again, if the climb got to hard, but managed to reach the top, which was worth all the hard struggle. I have visited the site again later, but decided not to do the climb again.

• Like 1

Stay in shape an exercise or realize not to do something or face a possible demise. I stay in pretty good shape overall nearing 60 and will continue to run and exercise. I would gather the gent and no one wants to pass away, but the real thing is he passed away doing a thing that made him happy. If I was a family member of his I would find solace in that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Stay in shape an exercise or realize not to do something or face a possible demise. I stay in pretty good shape overall nearing 60 and will continue to run and exercise. I would gather the gent and no one wants to pass away, but the real thing is he passed away doing a thing that made him happy. If I was a family member of his I would find solace in that.

Good way of looking at it actually. Better than fading away in a nursing home, that’s for sure. I marvel at some of the things the elder do here. My Thai mate who turned 70 last year, has ridden his bicycle up to Doi Inthanon nearly 100 times. I went for a hike from Wang bua waterfall to Khun Chang Kian village last month for the Sakura festival and there was a 73 year old lady doing the same hike. The elevation gain is well over a kilometre. People like this really inspire me and should inspire everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Good way of looking at it actually. Better than fading away in a nursing home, that’s for sure. I marvel at some of the things the elder do here. My Thai mate who turned 70 last year, has ridden his bicycle up to Doi Inthanon nearly 100 times. I went for a hike from Wang bua waterfall to Khun Chang Kian village last month for the Sakura festival and there was a 73 year old lady doing the same hike. The elevation gain is well over a kilometre. People like this really inspire me and should inspire everyone.

You got it! Live life and do your best to keep your body in check the best you can, and the bonus is pass away doing something you really love or enjoy and not in a fade away nursing home if one can help themselves. Now I think a retirement community home is a different story, but I am still not going that way here since my home is my castle and we can just bring in hired help if ever needed. never know what the body will do.

I did the Doi Inthanon hike out to the bluff just after Christmas with my immediate and visiting Thai family here. Didn't phase me one little bit, but the Bangkok family visiting whoa are all in their late twenties were brutalized feeling the effects. 

BTW. If your friend was riding a bicycle, then that has recently been banned by the overseer of Doi Inthanon to ride it going downhill. His reasoning is it is not safe to do. Putz!

On 3/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, kalyan said:

Must have millions of foreigners dying with this statement 😂. I disagree about having an age barrier and it is  more about fitness.  

I am in better shape & healthier in my mid 60s than I was in my 30s and I was career military back then.  Health precautions notification agreed and all should be aware of their current health status, but there are many that never give it a second thought. Health screenings are more detailed and fitness information online is more readily available than 20-30 years ago.