News Forum - Tourist police crackdown on overcharging on Khao San Road

Thaiger

Bangkok Tourist Police on Khao San Road yesterday were approached by several angry foreign tourists after they had been ripped off. The victims told officers that tuk tuk and taxi drivers in the area had tricked them into buying expensive products and services. According to the Bangkok Tourist Police, some tuk tuk and taxi drivers …

The story Tourist police crackdown on overcharging on Khao San Road as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Tis article is hilarious as it makes out ripping off tourists is a recent event. That’s the ugly side of visiting Thailand and has been going on longer than the 20+ years I’ve been coming to Thailand

This is news? The first time I visited Bangkok, 30 years ago, I was getting the Grand Palace closed today scam and tuk tuk drivers trying to sell me cheap "city tours".

6 hours ago, Grumpish said:

This is news? The first time I visited Bangkok, 30 years ago, I was getting the Grand Palace closed today scam and tuk tuk drivers trying to sell me cheap "city tours".

I fell for that, but to be honest, I felt it was a great deal

Only two things

He kept stopping at stores I didn't want to get his commisison, I told him to stop doing that

And he tried to get me scammed in a gem scam

Suggested we stop at a park to rest and of course, someone miracuoulsy appeared to sell me gems

But you'd have to be an idiot to fall for that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I fell for that, but to be honest, I felt it was a great deal

Only two things

He kept stopping at stores I didn't want to get his commisison, I told him to stop doing that

And he tried to get me scammed in a gem scam

Suggested we stop at a park to rest and of course, someone miracuoulsy appeared to sell me gems

But you'd have to be an idiot to fall for that

No, I didn't fall for it either - but the fact that they are still doing it 30 years on shows that there are enough suckers out there for it to be worthwhile. 

25 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

No, I didn't fall for it either - but the fact that they are still doing it 30 years on shows that there are enough suckers out there for it to be worthwhile. 

But I DID fall for it 5555

Just that I caught on some of the scams while already on my ride and knocked those back

But I actually think it was worth it, think I paid him 500 baht for full day, he did take me to a bunch of cool places

They also warned them to cease their illegal activities or else they would be fined.

Of course they did. For the media! That is hardly news. It is now just one manila envelope extra!

3 friends and I paid Tuk Tuk 1500 Baht for half a day bringing us around Bangkok.

The Tuk Tuk also brought us at the end of the trip to a boat ride to Tailing Chan and we paid another 1500 Baht for the whole speed boat to ourselves.

Did we get scammed?