Schwab Bank card not working

TWS60

Anyone out there with a USA Schwab ATM/Debit card able to use an ATM here in the past few days?

Tried 4 times since Friday at our usual Krungsi branch ATM, and after selecting the withdrawal amount, get a message that comms can't be established with the bank (Schwab).   Tried two other machines in different parts of the city, same thing.

Happened last month as well.  Tried Bangkok Bank, same problem there.  Managed to use a different Krungsi ATM hours later, so I chalked it up to temporary outage/system maintenance, etc.  

This time it's been 3 days of trying without success.  Mag strip on the back of the card and the chip on the front appear normal/not damaged.  Wondered if the bank drama in the US might be a factor.   At any rate, thought I'd pulse this group before contacting Schwab.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Greetings- 

New here- I use the Schwab ATM//debit card- no problems whatsoever. I to use BKK Bank. Hope you figured it out- I'd be interested to know if you learned anything new.

Note to anyone who happens upon this- Charles Schwab reimburses ALL ATM fees hands down! I'd be interested to know if there are other US banks doing the same.

Edited by RethairedJarhead
additional info added
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 7:05 PM, RedhairedJarhead said:

Greetings- 

New here- I use the Schwab ATM//debit card- no problems whatsoever. I to use BKK Bank. Hope you figured it out- I'd be interested to know if you learned anything new.

Note to anyone who happens upon this- Charles Schwab reimburses ALL ATM fees hands down! I'd be interested to know if there are other US banks doing the same.

Thanks, and welcome aboard.   Was able to do a withdrawal the following Monday afternoon at a Krungsi ATM, so I presume it was indeed a network comms drop somewhere, maybe exacerbated by it being a weekend.   Have done another ATM pull since then, no issues.

Yup, Schwab has been my go-to for years here.  Only drag is they are, or were, testy about US expats living overseas, so I still use a family member's physical house address in the US, and avoid calling Schwab if I can help it as that's opened the geo-location can of worms in the past.   Same drill with my primary credit card from Capital One.  

The credit unions I use as ready back ups - NFCU/USAA - don't mind at all, can use my Thai address, receive mail from them, etc.  Prudent to have 1 or 2 alternate bank arrangements in your back pocket here.

• Like 1

Thank you- good to be in the forum.

I also have a back up credit union. I travel back-and-forth and still have the US address but that’s good info to consider. I use Schwab debit for cash as needed but have been a big fan of Wise. I see many here also use Wise which is confirming to me because I have often wondered if there are better alternatives… Wise seems to be one of the top go-to methods.

Cheers

Edited by RedhairedJarhead
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:32 PM, RedhairedJarhead said:

Thank you- good to be in the forum.

I also have a back up credit union. I travel back-and-forth and still have the US address but that’s good info to consider. I use Schwab debit for cash as needed but have been a big fan of Wise. I see many here also use Wise which is confirming to me because I have often wondered if there are better alternatives… Wise seems to be one of the top go-to methods.

Cheers

Ran through the various alternatives over the years living here, used Wise for a while at the tail end of it, then came full circle and went back to using the ATM with Schwab card 2 maybe 3 times a month.  VISA exchange rate good enough for me, Schwab reimburses the Thai ATM fee - KISS.  Works for me.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Ran through the various alternatives over the years living here, used Wise for a while at the tail end of it, then came full circle and went back to using the ATM with Schwab card 2 maybe 3 times a month.  VISA exchange rate good enough for me, Schwab reimburses the Thai ATM fee - KISS.  Works for me.  

I like using WISE transferred to Thai bank and keeping some on the card to use at restaurants when I am Thailand for a long time span(months)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I noticed quite a difference in exchange rate using Schwab at an ATM. Unsure if it was the ATM (Bank) I used or the amount (I even made withdrawals within minutes at different ATM for different amounts).  I also notice the baht was about 2 less than I can get with cash exchange. That  is after i factor in the 220b refunded fee also.

But it is convenient :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It could vary from bank to bank.  Schwab pays the midrate on the day- halfway of buy/sell rate. I like the no fees part

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, RethairedJarhead said:

Greetings- 

eTrade Bank used to do that, and might still do, for the first 1,000 USD withdrawal each month

Currency exchange fees used to be free, but that seems to have changed and are charged seperately