News Forum - Hazy days ahead: The future of cannabis tourism in Thailand

Thaiger

If you’re a cannabis enthusiast, you might want to put Thailand on your travel bucket list. Since June 2022, the Land of Smiles has become one of the few countries in Asia to legalise the medical and recreational use of cannabis. This landmark decision has sparked a lot of interest among locals and foreigners alike, …

The story Hazy days ahead: The future of cannabis tourism in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hard to imagine people are travelling half way round the world for the ‘cannabis experience’, when you consider it’s consumption is rife throughout the world regardless of its legality.

One day, the dumb asses will connect this post subject with the one above, on the conditions in Thai Jails and get the message; that legality here is a moving feast and if stimulants' of any kind, legal or no,  lead you to mischief, as it often does with tourists, you will get a first hand experience of those conditions. 

17 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Hard to imagine people are travelling half way round the world for the ‘cannabis experience’, when you consider it’s consumption is rife throughout the world regardless of its legality.

I stay in Kamala Phuket a lot 

And this time there was a noticeable abundance of older, sort of low class tourists 

My friend who has a bar agreed and think it's because of the weed

I partook in Koh Lanta and Ao Nang

Sure you can smoke weed anywhere but it is nice just being able to buy it at the bar 

By the way

Yes there was certainly a lot of weed shops

But they didn't look like an eye sore

No big garnish signs

19 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Why not? I do not know one single weed smoker of my age in Europe (18/20 years old at the end of the 80s early 90s) that has not been at least once to Amsterdam just for that. I have been a few times myself and I met loads of people from all over the world that came just for that (and the fun and people you meet surrounding it). If I was 18/20 those days, between experiencing to smoke freely in a frozen/grey Amsterdam coffee shop and a beautiful beach in Thailand, I know where I would go. And like Marc26 mentioned it above, I have personally met loads of them in my bar the past few months. Plus the quality of what you can buy illegally in the streets of Europe is no way near as good as what you can find now legally in Thailand (far too strong for me though!!!).

Well I for one love it. Taste and quality is everything, besides the wonderful smell it has as well. Riding my bike around CM I will have an 80% chance of smelling it somewhere being smoked. So it is a big thing for sure. And CM has a lot of young tourists who openly smoke as I have seen over the last 5 months

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Manu said:

Why not? I do not know one single weed smoker of my age in Europe (18/20 years old at the end of the 80s early 90s) that has not been at least once to Amsterdam just for that. I have been a few times myself and I met loads of people from all over the world that came just for that (and the fun and people you meet surrounding it). If I was 18/20 those days, between experiencing to smoke freely in a frozen/grey Amsterdam coffee shop and a beautiful beach in Thailand, I know where I would go. And like Marc26 mentioned it above, I have personally met loads of them in my bar the past few months. Plus the quality of what you can buy illegally in the streets of Europe is no way near as good as what you can find now legally in Thailand (far too strong for me though!!!).

You neglected to mention that smoking dope in Amsterdam and smoking dope in Thailand are two different propositions. I would not be advocating that anyone light up a joint on a beach in Thailand, as they might find themselves promptly whisked off to the local police station. Smoking dope in public in Thailand is still an offence.

Edited by Khunmark

8 hours ago, Khunmark said:

You neglected to mention that smoking dope in Amsterdam and smoking dope in Thailand are two different propositions. I would not be advocating that anyone light up a joint on a beach in Thailand, as they might find themselves promptly whisked off to the local police station. Smoking dope in public in Thailand is still an offence.

As of right now and by the way I keep smelling it everywhere around town, I'd say you'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen, and extremely unlucky for it to lead to serious consequences. I don't risk it though, it's awesome enough to be able to buy it and get a little receipt then smoke it at home.

12 hours ago, Wackamole said:

As of right now and by the way I keep smelling it everywhere around town, I'd say you'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen, and extremely unlucky for it to lead to serious consequences. I don't risk it though, it's awesome enough to be able to buy it and get a little receipt then smoke it at home.

I don’t know which city you’re in, but in CM there’s practically no evidence of people smoking it in public.

19 hours ago, Khunmark said:

I don’t know which city you’re in, but in CM there’s practically no evidence of people smoking it in public.

I was in a few places this past 2 weeks that had plenty of weed shops and bars

But never saw anyone smoking in public 

Smelt it only once in Ao Nang 

On 3/11/2023 at 7:12 AM, Khunmark said:

You can't smoke anything in a place where people work in the netherlands.Huddled outside on the street in Amsterdam is not that much fun for 90% of the year.The Vondel park used to be ok in the summer.Dont forget to book a room with a balcony if you want to smoke,the Symia hotel on Sukhumvit had signs up 5000baht fine for smoking in the room.

1 hour ago, yselmike said:

You can't smoke anything in a place where people work in the netherlands.Huddled outside on the street in Amsterdam is not that much fun for 90% of the year.The Vondel park used to be ok in the summer.Dont forget to book a room with a balcony if you want to smoke,the Symia hotel on Sukhumvit had signs up 5000baht fine for smoking in the room.

I had weed but didn't smoke it in my hotel or even on the balcony

I think it's rude

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I had weed but didn't smoke it in my hotel or even on the balcony

I think it's rude

Most hotels allow smoking on the balcony.A girl was vaping on the balcony below my room in Jomtien,pre COVID.It is the only time I can recall being offended by somebody smoking who was not in my personal space.I initially thought something was was on fire! The amount of smoke coming up was bizarre.

I only smoke grass,in a kif pipe.I might bring a new unused! one if I visit next winter,and then bin it.Chilling out on the balcony seems a better way to relax than drinking alcohol, especially at my age it involves too many trips to the toilet.

43 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Most hotels allow smoking on the balcony.A girl was vaping on the balcony below my room in Jomtien,pre COVID.It is the only time I can recall being offended by somebody smoking who was not in my personal space.I initially thought something was was on fire! The amount of smoke coming up was bizarre.

I only smoke grass,in a kif pipe.I might bring a new unused! one if I visit next winter,and then bin it.Chilling out on the balcony seems a better way to relax than drinking alcohol, especially at my age it involves too many trips to the toilet.

Yes those vapes can emit huge clouds

I hate when some asshat is smoking a vape while bunch of people are waiting to cross the street 

So inconsiderate 

I would have liked to smoke my weed on my hotel balcony

I'm just afraid someone next to me may not like weed smoke 

And feel bad doing so

Especially if they have kids

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes those vapes can emit huge clouds

I hate when some asshat is smoking a vape while bunch of people are waiting to cross the street 

So inconsiderate 

I would have liked to smoke my weed on my hotel balcony

I'm just afraid someone next to me may not like weed smoke 

And feel bad doing so

Especially if they have kids

+1 on the vaping idiots.

I agree that weed smokers should be considerate, especially if there are kids about.

I bought a little pipe and simply do one hit/lungful at a time; it negates billowing clouds that can bother and/or overwhelm others. And, to be honest, today's weed is so much more powerful than the stuff from my youth that I only want a hit or two, regardless.

Weed is about fun and relaxation; it never should be about causing discomfort to others.

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

+1 on the vaping idiots.

I agree that weed smokers should be considerate, especially if there are kids about.

I bought a little pipe and simply do one hit/lungful at a time; it negates billowing clouds that can bother and/or overwhelm others. And, to be honest, today's weed is so much more powerful than the stuff from my youth that I only want a hit or two, regardless.

Weed is about fun and relaxation; it never should be about causing discomfort to others.

It was nice to have the option

On the pricier side, I paid 150 baht for a pre-roll in Koh Lanta

Then 250 baht for pre-roll in Ao Nang

Ao Nang was big and came in a nice plastic tube so it did not smell at all in my room and lasted 3 days

On 3/12/2023 at 10:54 AM, Khunmark said:

I'm not saying everybody's trying to be seen doing it. But clearly there's a lot of outdoor smoking going on, and there's no crackdown, which is great because it's hurting nobody.