News Forum - 1 in 10 Thai kids clinically obese, will they be the fattest generation yet?

Thaiger

Child obesity has become a heavy problem in Thailand with one in 10 Thai kids clinically obese says the Department of Health (DOH). A report by the health department revealed that about 10% of Thai children are fat. Not only are they clinically obese, but the DOH also reckons that Thai kids will become even …

The story 1 in 10 Thai kids clinically obese, will they be the fattest generation yet? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

across the world this is a common issue, however in thailand we could start seeing this among the kids, mostly it is due to quick food( junk food)  in 7-11 and similar shops where parents are going to office and kid needs to go to school, in other cases the kids are fed with fried foods, especially chicken and pork, pork as good staple food as long it is eaten and well exercised.

This is a global phenominan in most developed and developing countries. This is mainly because both the parents are forced to earn an income to accomodate their extra spendings. And the kids are simply fed with fast food, which is the "Junk" and add no healthy diet for anyone. Just avoind all the fast food outlets. Avoid all the junk food. Let the kid eat home cook food (of course which is not possible these days as many either don't want to cook or don't know how to cook) Just don't pampered the kids. Let them be natural and grow naturally. No need to look for extra vitamins or minerals as it does not add any value except add more chemical to the body. Just let them eat naturally grown food. It is very obvious that most of the obese kids are in the city. 

Nothing new about this report, it's been known about for decades but nothing is ever done to stop the sugar and fast (Western) food diet.

Everything is loaded with cane sugar, even fried rice!  I recall sitting down to a WineConnection lunch one day with a young Thai gent at the next table.  His pizza came out and he proceeded to cover it in tomato sauce ... that extra sweet Thai brand, all washed down with a soft drink of course. 

7-11 freezer meals are generally quite healthy, better than most deep fried street food, but the iced drinks are pure sugar!

• Like 3

Being an English teacher here in Thailand. It's definitely higher than 1-10 students! There diets are terrible, plus with all the sugar & fried stuff they sell outside the school entrances. The kids here only do PE once a week, which is noway near enough exercise! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

Being an English teacher here in Thailand. It's definitely higher than 1-10 students! There diets are terrible, plus with all the sugar & fried stuff they sell outside the school entrances. The kids here only do PE once a week, which is noway near enough exercise! 

Canteens on school grounds sell nothing but rubbish food and drinks.

The healthy meal is Mama and water.

If you think that is not so bad read the ingredients menu. 😅

I noticed Thai youth are a bit fatter than when I first visited the country. But, not obese by British or American standards

I just spent a month in Thailand and ate enough to feed 3 people each meal, and I came home having LOST 4 pounds. I eat mostly "healthy" food at home and I've gained back 6 pounds since coming home.

More than ever I'm convinced that the shit we must be doing to our food, like hormones, pesticides, whatever it is here, it's bad for our bodies but I'm not sure what we can do about it at this point. I can't start a farm in my downtown backyard :p

1 hour ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I just spent a month in Thailand and ate enough to feed 3 people each meal, and I came home having LOST 4 pounds. I eat mostly "healthy" food at home and I've gained back 6 pounds since coming home.

More than ever I'm convinced that the shit we must be doing to our food, like hormones, pesticides, whatever it is here, it's bad for our bodies but I'm not sure what we can do about it at this point. I can't start a farm in my downtown backyard :p

You are probably more active when ob holiday then when at home 

My wife, Thai, gains a ton of weight when she goes back to Thailand 

I've been here about 17 days now

I lost a decent amount of weight

Because the heat suppresses my appetite 

So I only a couple small meals per day

4 hours ago, Matt23 said:

That's a good point

Kids in the west are 100x more active than kids in Thailand 

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A report by the health department revealed that about 10% of Thai children are fat.

I am certain, on Phuket it is not only 10% of the Thai children.

Once a person stops making excuses, a clean dietary intake is easy to achieve.

One trick is to remain on the exterior/peripheral areas of the supermarket, which is where the products you NEED are versus the junk you WANT but don't need, located within the interior aisles; some obvious exceptions, of course.

Keep It Simple.  DIY.  Less is more.  It ain't that hard.

8 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Even the women are get fat and ugly now, 

But that comes anyway, with age! It just starts earlier, now.

And, btw., how is that different to most "old fart" bar patrons?

Just depends. Have money or no money, where you live and most importantly DNA. I have seen a lot of thick Thai gals over my decades and it was not based on over eating. Genetics and then if they have money then it can be over eating, but in general Thai on the majority are lazy and do not exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the World Baseball Classic and these Japanese guys are big boys

And It does seem Japanese players are now doing much better in MLB these days

So I think their size has a lot to do with having more success in the MLB 

I think we have to rethink the thought that Asian men are small framed these days