News Forum - Phuket immigration launches ‘red card’ system for wayward foreigners

Thaiger

Phuket immigration is launching a ‘red card’ system for wayward foreigners which will see them deported after two offences. Praphansak Prasansuk, Commander of the Immigration Region 6 office, announced the system yesterday. “Under the system, a foreigner will be designated a ‘yellow card’ for a first offence. The foreigner will be issued a formal warning …

The story Phuket immigration launches ‘red card’ system for wayward foreigners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Meanwhile, over 7,000 Russians in Phuket are applying for visa extensions in a bid to stay in Thailand. Local immigration chief, Thanet Sukchai, says the great weather is one factor in their attempts to stay.

55 we all know the real reason but good on them staying away.

Red card or 2 strike system is a good initiative if not abused.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

55 we all know the real reason but good on them staying away.

Red card or 2 strike system is a good initiative if not abused. (my bold)

"if not abused"

Respectfully KR, can you name a single law in Thailand that is not abused in some fashion? Are you banking on the world-famous reputation of the RTP for Fairness, Honesty and Justice? Is there any law in Thailand that isn't... er... ahem... 're-adjusted' or 're-interpreted' in a manner that can only be described as 'situational ethics' or "Cos I said so!"?

There is a truism among Poli-Sci Nerds (of which I am proudly one) that no grant of power to a government is ever NOT used, and more often than not over-used to meet an official's agenda. Red and Yellow cards are going to flying out like debris from a woodchipper.

The interesting question to me is the 7,000 Russians in Phuket trying to extend their stay, and how the Thai government will react. While I am sure that there are some 'normal' tourists who just want to escape the Russian winter (who wouldn't), I suspect that XX number are either pro-Putin, ethically-challenged criminals in waiting; if anyone got rich under the Putin regime, you can safely bet that it wasn't through their determined following of rules, regulations and laws. On the other hand, I am also certain that XX number of them are fleeing possible call-up to be sent to a meat grinder in Ukraine; they have my total support and sympathy.

Which will Thailand choose to support?

Sadly, I think we know. And, in a while when the criminality gets out of hand, then the anti-Russian pogrom will begin.

La plus ca change...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The interesting question to me is the 7,000 Russians in Phuket trying to extend their stay, and how the Thai government will react. While I am sure that there are some 'normal' tourists who just want to escape the Russian winter (who wouldn't), I suspect that XX number are either pro-Putin, ethically-challenged criminals in waiting; if anyone got rich under the Putin regime, you can safely bet that it wasn't through their determined following of rules, regulations and laws. On the other hand, I am also certain that XX number of them are fleeing possible call-up to be sent to a meat grinder in Ukraine; they have my total support and sympathy.

Which will Thailand choose to support?

Sadly, I think we know. And, in a while when the criminality gets out of hand, then the anti-Russian pogrom will begin.

If they are eligible to get an extension, they will get it. If not, then they will not get it. Like everybody else. Some will do a run to Cambodia, Laos or Malaysia. And some will go the "unofficial" way to get one of the dodgy visas (that of course anyone else can also get in this country) if they really do not want to get back to Russia for whatever reason. Wether from Russia or any other country, that is what 10 000s are doing and have been doing for many years to stay in Thailand. Simple as that.