News Forum - Thailand’s Cobra Gold war games sees largest US attendance in decade

Thaiger

Thailand’s annual Cobra Gold war games have seen the largest attendance by the US in a decade. The international military exercise started yesterday and runs to March 10. The unprecedented attendance by the US military is thought to be part of Washington’s efforts to build ties with a key security partner as geopolitical competition with …

The story Thailand’s Cobra Gold war games sees largest US attendance in decade as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand, being a peaceful country, not interested in rocking other people's boats, won't react to allow yet more Amerikan bases in situ.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The unprecedented attendance by the US military is thought to be part of Washington’s efforts to build ties with a key security partner

I’m assuming the author doesn’t know the US and Thailand already have a mutual defense treaty. 

27 minutes ago, Poolie said:

won't react to allow yet more Amerikan bases

You mean like China in Cambodia? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I’m assuming the author doesn’t know the US and Thailand already have a mutual defense treaty. 

You mean like China in Cambodia? 

And building military bases in the South China Sea that are practically up against other countries 12 mile limits. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Gonna be some happy soldier boys and happy girls in Pattaya and Bangkok. Good for business.

From what I seen years ago in Patong they aren't really allowed to go into the bars anymore per their rules 

Many were just walking around 

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Thailand, being a peaceful country, not interested in rocking other people's boats, won't react to allow yet more Amerikan bases in situ.

They been doing these Cobra Gold exercises with the US for many decades 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

From what I seen years ago in Patong they aren't really allowed to go into the bars anymore per their rules 

Just before the covid closure there were US troops in Pattaya. I had just gotten back from the Philippines visit with a US buddy and went to Pattaya for a few days before the poo hit the fan. There were some in bars but the majority looked like shy kids whose gonads just dropped. Funniest thing in the world seeing the girls running out at them attacking them as they walked down soi 6.

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Never been around when the Cobra exercises were on, but I  have been on Phuket when the Navy was there on a courtesy visit. I think it has been quite a few years since they were allowed to overnight on shore - but it is amusing to see the girls and souvenir sellers swarm round them bluebottles round a fresh turd. Can't say I blame them, well worn fat fifty year old, fit twenty year old still more than a little wet behind the ears? No contest.

My ship stopped in Phuket (Patong) in 1992. Anchored out and small liberty boats dumped us off in the surf. There were topless European ladies on the beach back then. No Aircraft carrier. Just us and another cruiser.  The other Cruiser was the USS Vincennes. You might have heard of that one.

Good times.