Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

12 hours ago, gummy said:

Now just starting to watch this and the opening credit scenes are impressive. What is more impressive is I spotted that name of the main costume designer, Suttirat Ann Larlarb.  Whilst she is American her parents are both Thai although most of her work has been in the UK where she lives. Now back to the movie

So to add further I thought it was an excellent movie, except for the "new 007" Goodness how rubbish was she, or rather the part.

But is Bond dead ? Guess we were led to believe so but I have no doubt that with Hollywood's DNA advanced techniques they will produce a clone of Bond from the DNA sample that they could extract from one of his bones.

Anyway couldn't understand why it was entitled "No Time to Die". With the final missile attack it would be more apt to have called it "No Time to Fry" 😂

• Like 1

Now available on a torrent near you.

Shang.Chi.and.the.Legend.of.the.Ten.Rings

Typical Marvel production.

Shang-Chi-The-Ten-Rings-Powers.jpg

Edited by El_Trauco
Poster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Have you watched it yet, DW, is it any good?

I haven’t as I prefer to binge watch and there’s only 3 released so far.

I have watched a couple of reviews on YouTube and it seems to be well received so far. Some are calling it the next GOT but that might be a bit presumptuous.

Amazon are reportedly spending 10 million dollars on each episode to build , and destroy, the elaborate sets !! and 9.1 on IMDb so it is certainly worth a look .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Outlaws (2021)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11646832/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt 

I was worried that Stephen Merchant’s latest writing (and starring) attempt was going to be embarrassingly awkward as his earlier ‘Hello Ladies’ US production was.

Fortunately I was wrong. A BBC comedy production was ‘Seven strangers from different walks of life forced together to complete a community payback sentence in Bristol.’ (IMDB)

As often with a new series it took the first episode to get to know the characters and the story, but after that it got progressively better.
The names I knew were Stephen Merchant, Christopher Walken, Nina Wadia, Michael Cochrane.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The Outlaws (2021)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11646832/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt 

I was worried that Stephen Merchant’s latest writing (and starring) attempt was going to be embarrassingly awkward as his earlier ‘Hello Ladies’ US production was.

Fortunately I was wrong. A BBC comedy production was ‘Seven strangers from different walks of life forced together to complete a community payback sentence in Bristol.’ (IMDB)

As often with a new series it took the first episode to get to know the characters and the story, but after that it got progressively better.
The names I knew were Stephen Merchant, Christopher Walken, Nina Wadia, Michael Cochrane.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just watched ep 01....a big thumbs up, plenty going on to be developed, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spongebob Squarepants Thumbs Up GIF

Used to live in Brizzul 20 odd years ago, it was fascinating to see it again.

• Like 2

If you can get past the song by Frankie Laine, here is a classic adventure story. Blowing Wild (1953), with Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyk, Anthony Quinn, Ruth Roman, and Juan "El Peralvillo" Garcia, who appeared as a stereotyped Mexican in many WB films of the 1950s.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, Faraday said:

Just Finished:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 

As good as it was in 2003, the battle scenes, terrific.

⚔️

Not much else to do here, been pouring with rain for the last 24 hours. ?️ Dog's not happy, hasn't been outside for more than 10 minutes today. Says he's feeling rough...?

Yes. Very good movie. The battle scene was very well done.

• Like 2

Watched Red Notice last night.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7991608/

While I enjoyed it, as a fan of Ryan Reynolds wisecracks , I can see how many thought it a run of the mill action movie.

Starts off as a James Bond/Mission Impossible spoof but changes into an Indiana Jones/The Mummy spoof half way through.

Still enjoyable, imho, but for those that don’t fancy a movie full of Reynolds/The Rock jokey insults !, probably best to steer clear.

• Like 4

Watching this cop series based in the Calder Valley ( Yorkshire ), a host of familiar faces star in this gritty drama. 

On Netflix or fmovies, or elsewhere .

Edited by DwizzleyMatthews
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Watching this cop series based in the Calder Valley ( Yorkshire ), a host of familiar faces star in this gritty drama. 

On iPlayer or fmovies.

Is it of same high caliber as the Dalziel and Pascoe TV detective-series (also based in Yorkshire)?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Is it of same high caliber as the Dalziel and Pascoe TV detective-series (also based in Yorkshire)?

I would say so.

Incidentally, Dalziel and the lead in Happy Valley starred together in Inspector George Gently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pizza anyone?

The Pizzagate Massacre

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10725448/

Genre: Comedy, Action, Crime
 Plot: A dark social satire inspired by the real life conspiracy theory known as
 Pizzagate. An amateur journalist and a far-right militiaman team up to expose 
 the ugly truth behind rumors involving sex cults, a pizza place, and the 
 lizard people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boiling Point ( 2021 )

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11127680/

Watched this as am a Stephen Graham fan but frankly was disappointed. Graham stars as head chef in a trendy/popular restaurant dealing with the daily problems of staff, customers and trying to juggle 10 dishes at the same time.

It all adds up to a stressful experience, hence the movie title, as tempers are flared during the course of the evening.

Halfway through you will begin to wonder if anything is actually going to happen or is it just a fly on the wall documentary.

While Graham’s acting is up to his usual high standards I feel the movie is let down by a non eventful yet predictable storyline.

Gets some good reviews but someone commented that this is what would happen if Gordon Ramsey had starred in Uncut Gems which summed it up for me.

A tense 90 minutes which promises to deliver a thrilling climax but unfortunately didn’t !

Edited by DwizzleyMatthews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching Part 1 of The Beatles Get Back. A documentary that does not lead you by the hand with a descriptive audio commentary. It keeps the eyes busy as you can focus on lots going on during the time of putting the songs together. Funny that when this was recorded, I was not even 2, but was living half a mile from the Twickenham Film Studio.

I’m looking forward to Part 2 download tomorrow. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, Bluesofa said:

I saw a review of The Mule but I never watched it https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7959026/     
I d/l Pig on the same recommendation, but haven't got around to watching it so far. Spending too much time on here.

The Mule is worth a watch. Feel a bit sorry for the Mule himself (played by Clint Eastwood). 

• Like 1