News Forum - Phuket police arrest Swedish man on drug production charges

Thaiger

Police arrested a Swedish man in Phuket, southern Thailand, on drug charges today and are preparing to revoke his permission to stay in the kingdom, reports Matichon. On December 15 last year, police initiated the project, “White Residence for Foreigners (Free From Crime and Drugs) Project” in Phuket province. The ongoing project aims to weed out drug …

The story Phuket police arrest Swedish man on drug production charges as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

On December 15 last year, police initiated the project, “White Residence for Foreigners (Free From Crime and Drugs) Project” in Phuket province.

I was surprised enough by the term "White Residence for Foreigners" to double-check with the presumed source (matichon). 

It checked out (and Leah's translation can even be considered to be a desensitized version): in the presumed source the official name translates as

"Project Z: Accommodation for Whites"

That is not only a (politically) even worse phrasing but also quite sinister (if NetFlix recommended a movie by that title, it could only be a horror story). 

PS: practically speaking (can't help these thoughts), it should have been named "Project WH" to accommodate re-usability (into e.g. BRown, BLack or YEllow).

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

What happened to not photographing people accused but not convicted of crimes? 

The same as not doing public police re-enactments and no smoking in bars. Got bored so carry on as they have always done. Changing attitudes in Thais is like turning an oil tanker, but much harder. 

There are twice as many Chinese criminals in Thailand than all Europeans put  together.  But….. the Chinese  are devious enough to bribe the real crooks, rampant throughout  the government.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BJoe said:

There are twice as many Chinese criminals in Thailand than all Europeans put  together.  But….. the Chinese  are devious enough to bribe the real crooks, rampant throughout  the government.

A few of em are in senior ministerial positions also 😉

30 minutes ago, BJoe said:

With regard to your comment, I  noticed during Duterte's alleged "war on drugs", how many thousands died, and how few meths labs were broken up. The exception to both events, were the Chinese. Though they were running industrial scale meth labs, I can't think of any case where the greatest harm suffered by the Chinese, exceeded being arrested,

I have this suspicion, that the Chinese Gov, if they are not actually encouraging the criminality of it's ex-pat citizens, are knowingly turning a blind eye to it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

I was surprised enough by the term "White Residence for Foreigners" to double-check with the presumed source (matichon). 

It checked out (and Leah's translation can even be considered to be a desensitized version): in the presumed source the official name translates as

"Project Z: Accommodation for Whites"

That is not only a (politically) even worse phrasing but also quite sinister (if NetFlix recommended a movie by that title, it could only be a horror story). 

PS: practically speaking (can't help these thoughts), it should have been named "Project WH" to accommodate re-usability (into e.g. BRown, BLack or YEllow).

Apart from Albinos, there are very few truly 'white' people in the World.  I am a kind of off pink colour, slightly brownish in places.