News Forum - Thailand to resume cockfights and other animal sports, gambling allowed

Thaiger

Thailand is resuming cockfighting and other animal fights, with gambling allowed under strict conditions, the Ministry of Interior announced on Friday. Secretary of the Ministry of Interior Suttipong Junjaroen officially announced that cockfighting, horse racing, Siamese fighting fish battles, bullfighting and cow racing may all resume now that the pandemic has subsided. Betting will be permitted under …

The story Thailand to resume cockfights and other animal sports, gambling allowed as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I read this story in the Bangkok Post yesterday and I literally could not believe what I was reading. If ever there was a topic that shows Thailand is living in the 19th (never mind 20th) century, this was it. The minister saw no issue with it when he claimed it would help tourism. Can you imagine sitting down with some of these politicians trying to discuss animal welfare when this is the prevailing attitude. It would be like talking quantum physics to the inhabitants of the Sentinal Islands. 

Next time TAT have a promotional event in the U.K. I think I’ll go along and enquire if I will see cock fighting (not the Soi 6 type!) and bull fighting. On my family holiday. 

Barbaric doesn’t come close. Heathen backward imbeciles probably best describes the mindset. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

The minister saw no issue with it when he claimed it would help tourism. Can you imagine sitting down with some of these politicians trying to discuss animal welfare when this is the prevailing attitude.

Unfortunately he is probably right, this is the kind of thing that would go down well with the current favourite target audiences from the Middle East,  South Asia,  and China. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Unfortunately he is probably right, this is the kind of thing that would go down well with the current favourite target audiences from the Middle East,  South Asia,  and China. 

Well that’s true of course. Equally heathen backward nations. Another step down for Thailand. 

• Like 3

I'm not justifying cockfighting etc. But the banning of this sport in England waa in the 19th century, while toffs afterward could still chase a poor fox, watch dogs tear it apart, and smear its blood on a child's face.

Social concerns were about radicalis meeting at blood sport venues, and banning cockfighting and similar things like rat killing pits, was done under the cover of humane law. Other blood sport was preserved as a cultural activity, when it was perceived as gentlemanly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

I'm not justifying cockfighting etc. But the banning of this sport in England waa in the 19th century, while toffs afterward could still chase a poor fox, watch dogs tear it apart, and smear its blood on a child's face.

Social concerns were about radicalis meeting at blood sport venues, and banning cockfighting and similar things like rat killing pits, was done under the cover of humane law. Other blood sport was preserved as a cultural activity, when it was perceived as gentlemanly.

My grandfather had a sheep farm on the borders and was hated by the local hunt. When he knew there was a hunt in the area he would stand on the edge of his land and watch. If any beagle came through then it got shot.

He would not allow fox hunting on his land.

He would also not allow any foxes either and would shoot them too.

This was in the 1950's. 

Fox hunting still goes on in the UK. That nonsense that they only chase manmade trails now is utter garbage because people are still going out and sealing the foxholes before the hunt starts.

• Like 1

" animal fights “must be conducted with the welfare of the animals in mind."

Yeah like that is a thing. Anyone who has seen a cock fight will know that it is barbaric. 

6 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Fox  and badger hunts are discouraged such that they are  quite infrequent. Today, there are  likely to  be more hunt protestors than participants at the one of the remaining events. Landowners don't allow unfettered access to participants anymore. And therein lies the key difference: In the UK people will speak out against a wrongful and indecent act. They will take on the hierarchy and there will be a  diverse cross section of society protesting without fear of false  charges.  I have yet to  see any Thai protest against the  water buffalo or cock fights that are broadcast. One would think that in a  country that promotes the Buddhist faith as the state religion, that the state would at least promote some of the more laudable precepts of faith such as non cruelty to other creatures. 

Thai people can be very cruel to those they look down upon and I offer that it starts with the exposure to  inhumane acts and cruelty that is normalized at an early age.

• Like 1