News Forum - Alcoholic Drink Control Act has reduced drinking 2%

Thaiger

Some news we shouldn’t drink to: alcohol consumption is down 2% after 15 years of Thailand’s Alcoholic Drink Control Act. The law banned alcohol advertisements and placed limits on when and where booze can be sold. A seminar entitled “Different Views on 15-year Enforcement of the Alcoholic Drink Control Act” was held on Sunday at …

The story Alcoholic Drink Control Act has reduced drinking 2% as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is good to know that there is a marginal reduction in alcohol consumption in the country. Men has reduced the intake and it has been compensated by woman. In the end, it evens out. Can there a similar comparison on the cannabis statistics also. May be the reduction in alcohol is inversely proportionate to cannabis intake.....

16 hours ago, Manu said:

...that would not be so bad. But I am afraid it is not cannabis but far worse... https://www.thaienquirer.com/42351/thailands-methamphetamine-drug-supply-pushes-prices-to-as-low-as-10-baht-tablet/

My local dealer is selling it for 8 baht a tablet.  That's one bottle of beer or 7 tablets and I know what many are choosing.

7 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

My local dealer is selling it for 8 baht a tablet.  That's one bottle of beer or 7 tablets and I know what many are choosing.

Yeap, what could possibly go wrong.

A friend of mine has been deported back to England a few months back. I say "friend" but at the end, he was not anyone's friend anymore. 4 years back he had it all, and that is all it took for those wonderful yaba tablets to transform a lovely hard working familly man type of guy to a complete horrible unfriendly zombie who kept having trouble with the police (and people), fair due to them, they let him getting away with it for quite some time for the sake of his kids until no more (it is a small community here). Very sad story amongst so many lives ruined by that awful stuff.

A 2% reduction over 15 years is hardly an achievement. Just look at the population profile and you will see that an ageing population is affecting many things including consumption reductions. The drink driving figures seem to be at variance to others that have been quoted that state the majority of accidents are caused by drunk pedestrians and motor cycle riders, and of course there is no analysis of the rise in drug related accidents which is suspicious. Evidence from other countries shows that the more that alcohol is restricted the more abusive usage occurs and the more there is a switch to substances other than alcohol. What is really required is not treating people like children and meanigful education into responsible lifestyles.

4 hours ago, Pompies said:

A 2% reduction over 15 years is hardly an achievement. Just look at the population profile and you will see that an ageing population is affecting many things including consumption reductions. The drink driving figures seem to be at variance to others that have been quoted that state the majority of accidents are caused by drunk pedestrians and motor cycle riders, and of course there is no analysis of the rise in drug related accidents which is suspicious. Evidence from other countries shows that the more that alcohol is restricted the more abusive usage occurs and the more there is a switch to substances other than alcohol. What is really required is not treating people like children and meanigful education into responsible lifestyles.

Very true 2% is pretty meaningless over 15 years. I be interested to know the figures for drug use for the same period, especially now the wonders of not only Yaba but cannabis can now be explored as a replacement to alcohol. There seems little education being given on any of these addictive substances by the powers that be.