News Forum - Electrical short circuit closes runway at Krabi Airport, Thailand

Thaiger

Thai and foreign passengers were left stranded at Krabi International Airport in southern Thailand yesterday evening after the runway was closed due to an electrical short circuit, causing disruption to several flights. Facebook page Krabi Provincial Public Relations Department announced at 8.30pm that the airport sent out a Notice to Airmen (NOTEM) announcing the temporary …

The story Electrical short circuit closes runway at Krabi Airport, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yeah was at that airport last June and the what looks like a very large expansion was not yet finished. I would figure it has something to do with that. That crowded waiting room is a picture of horrors

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah was at that airport last June and the what looks like a very large expansion was not yet finished. I would figure it has something to do with that. That crowded waiting room is a picture of horrors

I think they have been doing this expansion and renovation since 2018....that is when I landed in that Airport 

I am one of the stranded passengers of flight WE250 (operated by Thai Smile). The flight was scheduled for 20:20 but we only started boarding at 2:45. Due to the huge delay all passengers missed their connecting flight. Over 100 people landed early in the morning at BKK airport. The staff did not know about our arrival and was not prepared. They did not provide us any help, since Thai Airways says that Thai Smile operated the delayed flight. Nobody told us about a electricity problem at Krabi airport. I have booked the flight in one booking with Thai Airways, still they don't feel responsible for us. We slept the night at the airport. No hotel was provided. No food or drink was provided. We are now waiting till 6pm for further information. This has never happened to any of us that an airline does not do anything and nobody feels responsible! And the next flights are already fully booked meaning we might need to stay here 1 or more weeks. Its just a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Gustav said:

How can we get help here? We need more attention and pressure to Thai airways to help us.

The land of Thousand Smiles only smiles until they get what they want from you....$$$$$

• Like 1

These are 2 separate flights.  Eventually thai smile got you to your destination, albeit very late.
Whilst you was stranded in Krabi, Thai smile should have offered food, drinks, maybe some other kind of compensation (unlikely).
In the eyes of Thai airways you are late and have missed your flight; they're not to blame.

If your flights were both thai on the same booking (bags checked through to final destination), then you would have some footing for further assistance

6 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I think they have been doing this expansion and renovation since 2018....that is when I landed in that Airport 

It looked pretty close to or already finished last June. But that was from the outside and only the old section was open to get to your flight. I still think the problem is at the new construction and some over qualified Thai messing up. 

On 2/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, Sigma6 said:

These are 2 separate flights.  Eventually thai smile got you to your destination, albeit very late.
Whilst you was stranded in Krabi, Thai smile should have offered food, drinks, maybe some other kind of compensation (unlikely).
In the eyes of Thai airways you are late and have missed your flight; they're not to blame.

If your flights were both thai on the same booking (bags checked through to final destination), then you would have some footing for further assistance

Our flights were indeed one booking and luggage would be passed through. We booked with Thai Airways and even in the booking it says Thai Airways - operated by Thai Smile. 
We had indeed a food coupon worth of 300bath at the airport of Krabi. The store only served beverages, coffee and cold sandwiches. Better than nothing of course.
Most of us passengers got a Stand by ticket hoping that the next flight got some free places. At that point all the connections to Europe were full so we had to stand till midnight to wait if we would have a chance to get a seat. Luckily me and my girlfriend could get a seat to our final destination. Other desperate passengers just took any flight to Europe to then navigate on their own then to their final destination. 

• Like 1