News Forum - Aeroplane makes emergency landing in Phuket

Thaiger

An aeroplane made an emergency landing in Phuket yesterday. The Thai Smile Airways Airbus A320 made the landing at Phuket International Airport (HKT) at 1pm due to engine problems.  The Phuket Info Center, which operates under the Phuket Provincial Office, confirmed the incident today. According to the centre’s report, the A320 made a “hard landing” …

The story Aeroplane makes emergency landing in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

An engine problem or both engine problems. Why would a single engine problem cause a heavy landing? Both engines out and not able to go around may cause the pilot to land heavy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

An engine problem or both engine problems. Why would a single engine problem cause a heavy landing? Both engines out and not able to go around may cause the pilot to land heavy. 

I'm sure our resident pilot could elaborate.  The approach may have been unstable and a go around on one engine unacceptable to the pilot.  Was he well beyond the threshold? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I'm sure our resident pilot could elaborate.  The approach may have been unstable and a go around on one engine unacceptable to the pilot.  Was he well beyond the threshold? 

Exactly that. The heavy landing will have been due to the need to land at the first attempt. I fail to see how an engine or even both engine failure would affect the landing other than the need to land it first time. Obviously without any engine power, the ability to finesse the landing is somewhat lost. 

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Impossible to say with this lack of information.  The A320 has an auto flare facility which requires the pilot to correct a 2 degree nose down moment in the last 30 feet.  Although I have never flown an Airbus, this seems to be a good reason for screwing up a landing if you are also dealing with asymmetric thrust , with auto thrust deselected. As I say, all speculation at this stage. 

• Like 2

Perhaps weather as in wind had something to do with it? Once upon a time with me coming from Ubon to DMK, the Thai airways plane upon a windy landing slammed hard and almost scraped the left wing within a few feet on the tarmac. I was on the window side. Bumpy wind and an inexperienced pilot is all I can think of.

27 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Perhaps weather as in wind had something to do with it? Once upon a time with me coming from Ubon to DMK, the Thai airways plane upon a windy landing slammed hard and almost scraped the left wing within a few feet on the tarmac. I was on the window side. Bumpy wind and an inexperienced pilot is all I can think of.

that would certainly be one reason for a bumpy landing. Not sure how it relates to an engine problem mind you? Anyway, I’m writing it off as poor reporting.

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

that would certainly be one reason for a bumpy landing. Not sure how it relates to an engine problem mind you? Anyway, I’m writing it off as poor reporting.

No noit resulting to engine failure which could be anything, but the hard landing resulting in the pilot allowing the plane to tail strike the tarmac is what I am getting at. More training and practice is required I would think. Lucky it was only a hard landing with a tail strike.

Its odd for an Airbus to tail strike though because they are fly by wire and there is software in place which is supposed to prevent this kind of thing by limiting the angle of attack the aircraft can achieve.