News Forum - Thailand’s sex industry was created for foreigners, right? Wrong! (video)

Thaiger

Thailand’s sex industry was created exclusively for foreign tourists, right? Wrong! It is a myth Thailand’s sex industry was exclusively made for tourists. It was set up for Thai people. There are hundreds of “Love Motels” spread across the country, and it’s not foreigners who commonly go there. There’s even a term for a casual …

The story Thailand’s sex industry was created for foreigners, right? Wrong! (video) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Every country has its own origin of sex industry. This is the oldest profession on earth. Only thing is that in Thailand it is being exploited by foreigners in the name of entertainment for money. And they are the one who promoted it world wide....especially the Americans after Vietnam war. 

Private Dancer! 

Probably the most overrated book about Thailand written. As soon as anyone says what a great book it is, I have to question whether they've read any books before. 

Booker Prize material it ain't. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Every country has its own origin of sex industry. This is the oldest profession on earth. Only thing is that in Thailand it is being exploited by foreigners in the name of entertainment for money. And they are the one who promoted it world wide....especially the Americans after Vietnam war. 

What a load of nonsense.

Members of the Thaiger Forum who have traveled extensively in country, like myself, will tell you that in almost every little town/hamlet there is a building, closed and shuttered during the day, situated either on the edge of town or (purely by coincidence) next to the local police station, where there are working girls in the evening for the local Thai men. The article mentions "hundreds of 'Love Motels', but the actual figure is likely in the thousands or tens of thousands.

Yes, the US military guys did promote the sex industry, but it was already here and popular for generations before that; blaming the American GI for the Thai sex industry is like blaming early European explorers for promoting the fact that many Asians have black hair.

However, this article does have a wee bit of good news; it seems that Bob Scott is reading members' posts, and slowly learning pertinent, non-CCP propaganda.

Well done, Bob!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shade_Wilder said:

What a load of nonsense.

Members of the Thaiger Forum who have traveled extensively in country, like myself, will tell you that in almost every little town/hamlet there is a building, closed and shuttered during the day, situated either on the edge of town or (purely by coincidence) next to the local police station, where there are working girls in the evening for the local Thai men. The article mentions "hundreds of 'Love Motels', but the actual figure is likely in the thousands or tens of thousands.

Yes, the US military guys did promote the sex industry, but it was already here and popular for generations before that; blaming the American GI for the Thai sex industry is like blaming early European explorers for promoting the fact that many Asians have black hair.

However, this article does have a wee bit of good news; it seems that Bob Scott is reading members' posts, and slowly learning pertinent, non-CCP propaganda.

Well done, Bob!

I don't think he denied it was already around. As everyone knows it's the oldest profession. 

Just that it became more well known worldwide as a thing in Thailand after Vietnam War, and then the German Tourists etc, they all go home and tell their buddies, and so on. 

Then there's the internet etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Only thing is that in Thailand it is being exploited by foreigners

"Exploited" is a big word. The grand majority of tourists view it as just that - entertainment - and aside from buying lady drinks and flirting with bar girls won't take it beyond that. The girls make a lot more money than any other job they could get, and the tourists get some entertainment - that's called a fair trade, not exploitation.

Sure- some guys do want to bar fine the girl, but in any bar I've ever been to in Thailand she has a choice in the matter and can refuse if she dislikes the guy.

Personally I rarely go to such bars - let alone bar fine - but I think this isn't at all exploitation. If anything it's the girls who exploit innocent tourists sometimes. 🤣

• Like 4

I never believed for one second the sex industry was set up for foreigners. I know there are some Thai apologists on this forum and one or two who have been given permanent holidays who assert that it was, but they are wrong about most things Thai. 

• Like 6

Many years ago (too many actually) I was here in Thailand when the Prime Minister was heralded in the Bangkok Post front page for achieving 100 "Mia Noi" (girlfriends with wifely duties). 😉

On making enquiries with the Thais I was told this is a good thing.

Seems it is socially Ok but the guy must stump up a house and other worldly goods that make all these lovely ladies equal in society. ie give one a car, give all a car.

This guy didn't buy by the dozen he bought by the hundred.

Salesmans wet dream. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, palooka said:

Many years ago (too many actually) I was here in Thailand when the Prime Minister was heralded in the Bangkok Post front page for achieving 100 "Mia Noi" (girlfriends with wifely duties). 😉

On making enquiries with the Thais I was told this is a good thing.

Seems it is socially Ok but the guy must stump up a house and other worldly goods that make all these lovely ladies equal in society. ie give one a car, give all a car.

This guy didn't buy by the dozen he bought by the hundred.

Salesmans wet dream. 🤣

Yes, I know a wealthy Thai involved in construction and he’s currently claiming to have a mere 5 on the go all dotted around the country. He’s very open with what he spends which includes a nice albeit modest house, a car and a monthly allowance. In return they are available to him whenever he’s in town and expects them not to play the field while he’s away. He must be spending between 150k-200k baht per month and has sunk at least 5 million baht for each of them with cars and house. I asked if his wife knew and he just said she never asks! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Private Dancer! 

Probably the most overrated book about Thailand written. As soon as anyone says what a great book it is, I have to question whether they've read any books before. 

Booker Prize material it ain't. 

Yet the book outlines some of the most common scams some girls employ when foreigners engage with girls for sex. For some clever girls who see stupid and vunerable men, they can swoop in and take advantage of their weakness and exploit it for financial gain. The book is a must for first time travellers to Thailand who happen to be 18-30 year olds going on a sex tour of Asia. I have read the book and have experienced first hand some of the scams and stories from girls in the industry, luckily I wasn't duped. But the stories of woe and attempts to gain money are still the same. You sound like you might have been caught out by such a scam. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tezza1971 said:

Yet the book outlines some of the most common scams some girls employ when foreigners engage with girls for sex. For some clever girls who see stupid and vunerable men, they can swoop in and take advantage of their weakness and exploit it for financial gain. The book is a must for first time travellers to Thailand who happen to be 18-30 year olds going on a sex tour of Asia. I have read the book and have experienced first hand some of the scams and stories from girls in the industry, luckily I wasn't duped. But the stories of woe and attempts to gain money are still the same. You sound like you might have been caught out by such a scam. 

Do I? 🤔🤔️ 

Think you missed the point of my post which was that there are far better books written about Thailand than Private Dancer. 

There must be countless books out there, none particularly weighty tomes, concerning or related to p4p in Thailand, and Private Dancer is just one such book. It is rather one dimensional though, but if that's the plane you inhabit so be it. 

Even then it only follows a well-trodden path of the western man in the Orient genre. Jack Reynold's "A Woman of Bangkok" came out in 1956!!

Screenshot_20230223_011640_com.android.chrome_edit_1418362590024716.thumb.jpg.8ede7d7cd31be4ec6b6d04de0c48728a.jpg

Personally, the best thing I've ever read set in Thailand would have to be "Letters From Thailand" 

Concerning the immigrant's experience into Thailand, it's still highly pertinent to the foreigner's experience in Thailand today. 

When the original Thai version of Letters from Thailand appeared in Bangkok in 1969, it was promptly awarded the SEATO Prize for Thai Literature. It is one of Thailand’s most entertaining and enduring modern novels, and one of the few portrayals of the immigrant Chinese experience in urban Thailand.

Letters from Thailand is the story of Tan Suang U, a young man who leaves China to make his fortune in Thailand at the close of World War II, and ends up marrying, raising a family, and operating a successful business. The novel unfolds through his letters to his beloved mother in China.

In Tan Suang U's lively account of his daily life in Bangkok's bustling Chinatown, larger and deeper themes emerge: his determination to succeed at business in this strange new culture; his hopes for his family; his resentment at how easily his children embrace urban Thai culture at the expense of the Chinese heritage which he holds dear; his inability to understand or adopt Thai ways; and his growing alienation from a society that is changing too fast for him.

Screenshot_20230223_010059_com.android.chrome_edit_1418014189861748.thumb.jpg.342b0ec6a10ba2f460512e5984c73e0a.jpg

Quite simply, it blows Private Dancer out of the water....😊

Written by a Thai too, and it even contains a bargirl! 😆

"The famous Thai smile is only frosting on the cake; what the cake is like, only those who have tasted it know. Thailand’s greatest admirers are those who have spent two days in the country, mostly foreigners who have no idea of what life here really is. They nod wisely and say that the Thai “really know how to live” and “know the value of an easy life”. They do not guess to what extremes of laziness and irresponsibility this philosophy is carried, or how great is the disregard for order and civilized behaviour.”

Indeed....👆🏼👆🏼

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tezza1971 said:

I think all you need to do is be a normal person who isn't an c*nt struck idiot to not be scammed

It isn't hard to figure out 

17 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

What a load of nonsense.

Well done, Bob!

I don't know why people care and try to pinpoint the blame for the industry

And if you traveled around I think you would see there is a lot of difference between the local and tourist sex industry and it's obvious that the tourist sex industry is the one known worldwide 

But again, who cares

If you partake, you partake. As long as you aren't vulgar about it and discreet, who cares what others you 

And if you don't partake

Who cares if people may think you do

18 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I don't think he denied it was already around. As everyone knows it's the oldest profession. 

Just that it became more well known worldwide as a thing in Thailand after Vietnam War, and then the German Tourists etc, they all go home and tell their buddies, and so on. 

Then there's the internet etc

Well...sometimes people jump into sudden conclusions without understanding properly what is mentioned. It normally happens when we failed to read between the lines. It is ok. Everyone has their own view to express. Have a nice day..😀

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know why people care and try to pinpoint the blame for the industry

And if you traveled around I think you would see there is a lot of difference between the local and tourist sex industry and it's obvious that the tourist sex industry is the one known worldwide 

But again, who cares

If you partake, you partake. As long as you aren't vulgar about it and discreet, who cares what others you 

And if you don't partake

Who cares if people may think you do

I think a lot of the trying to allocate the blame comes from people that want to pin the blame exclusively on Western men to further their own agenda. As you point out, the home grown sex industry swamps the tourist sex industry, and is largely invisible to most tourists.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I think a lot of the trying to allocate the blame comes from people that want to pin the blame exclusively on Western men to further their own agenda. As you point out, the home grown sex industry swamps the tourist sex industry, and is largely invisible to most tourists.

Well I think there is some validity to that

The local sex industry doesn't have massive Neon signs that take up whole areas or even cities 

But it is Thais that own all that Neon 555

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 5:52 PM, Soidog said:

He must be spending between 150k-200k baht per month

Is that per mia noi, or for all of them? 30-40k is actually not that much if per...

On 2/23/2023 at 12:36 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

They nod wisely and say that the Thai “really know how to live” and “know the value of an easy life”. They do not guess to what extremes of laziness and irresponsibility this philosophy is carried, or how great is the disregard for order and civilized behaviour

While this is certainly true for bar girls and isaan uneducated types, you'll hardly see any educated normal girl being lazy or irresponsible. (actually most foreigners never see such girls, period.) Not the entire country is bar girls. 🤦‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Pinga said:

While this is certainly true for bar girls and isaan uneducated types, you'll hardly see any educated normal girl being lazy or irresponsible. (actually most foreigners never see such girls, period.) Not the entire country is bar girls. 🤦‍♀️

It was a quote from the main protagonist in the book I mentioned, a Chinese immigrant, not my own personal opinion...,🤗

11 minutes ago, Pinga said:

I can recall several well educated non-bar girls that were not averse to turning tricks of a weekend, for additional income and in the hope of snagging that rich farang boyfriend.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Is that per mia noi, or for all of them? 30-40k is actually not that much if per...

I’m really not sure. But he once told me they all have a house and car he paid for and he takes care of bills and always leaves money when he’s in the area. I think the 30-40k per month per person is probs it “top up” cash. He can afford it and I certainly wish I was a few baht behind him in my bank balance! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinga said:

I think your kidding yourself if you think it's only bar girls that peddle in this trade

Guys  who met a girl online or a hotel receptionist that miraculously fell for an older, uglier guy  spend their whole time trying to convince teems she wasn't after exactly what any bar girl was

Fact is

Most Thai girls involved with farangs didn't have posters that looked like any of us on their walls

Most are after and in it for the same exact thing 

They just went about it differently 

Or were able to do about it differently, is the better phrase 

But it's cute so many guys think they are special 

Despite looking like a toad

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I’m really not sure. But he once told me they all have a house and car he paid for and he takes care of bills and always leaves money when he’s in the area. I think the 30-40k per month per person is probs it “top up” cash. He can afford it and I certainly wish I was a few baht behind him in my bank balance! 

I was traveling with my stepson in May

We stayed at the Avani in Khao Lak

5 star but very Thai centric 

This older, seemingly well off Thai man chatted me up at the pool 

I explained to him I was traveling with my son and my wife was back in Bangkok buying a house and busy

He asked me "how many wife you have?"

I said "one, how many do you have?"

I then said "I have only one and that one is always yelling at me, I don't need any more "

And he died laughing 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Guys  who met a girl online or a hotel receptionist that miraculously fell for an older, uglier guy  spend their whole time trying to convince teems she wasn't after exactly what any bar girl was

These are essentially freelancers or gold diggers - same category as bar girls only a different method. I'm talking about normal Thai girls who don't necessarily associate with foreigners.

It is funny though that you think all women who date foreigners are in this category. I've dated plenty who weren't looking for anything beyond my personality/looks/intimate parts. Sure, if you're an old toad with a personality of a bar stool you're only going to get gold diggers, but if you're any sort of good looking and/or have a personality then you can easily get normal girls too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It was a quote from the main protagonist in the book I mentioned, a Chinese immigrant, not my own personal opinion...,🤗

Yep. I noticed - I wasn't referring to you, but to the quote!

• Cool 1