What medication do they give to covid patients with mild symptoms

gummy

This didn't seem to fit in the "covid 19 - vaccination forum" so hence posted it under health and wellness.  Does anybody have first hand knowledge of the medication that is given to patients who are only suffering mildly from Covid 19 ? I don't mean the quack cures put forward by ex presidents or those with a dream but actual 1st hand knowledge of the prescribed medicines ?

In Thailand the cure for mild Covid symptoms is the "victim" becoming aware of the hospiial bill, whereas the victim will flee the hospital in his underpants, clutching his cards to escape in a tuc tuc.

Sorry, second hand knowledge only--

From four friends who were diagnosed with Covid at the hospital. They were instructed to take a pain reliever of their choice, drink plenty of water, go home and quarantine themselves. Which they did, and all four recovered.  None of them have or had any underlying medical problems that I know of.

See the Mayo Clinic' s website. 

52 minutes ago, 2Lotus2 said:

Sorry, second hand knowledge only--

From four friends who were diagnosed with Covid at the hospital. They were instructed to take a pain reliever of their choice, drink plenty of water, go home and quarantine themselves. Which they did, and all four recovered.  None of them have or had any underlying medical problems that I know of.

See the Mayo Clinic' s website. 

Ah the first with a sensible reply. 

Poster on TV last year claimed hospital in Bkk had treated him with hydroxychloroquine and an anti viral, forget the name began with an R. He seemed believable  

5 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Poster on TV last year claimed hospital in Bkk had treated him with hydroxychloroquine and an anti viral, forget the name began with an R. He seemed believable  

Really. Wonder if that is a common treatment anymore ?

On 7/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, gummy said:

This didn't seem to fit in the "covid 19 - vaccination forum" so hence posted it under health and wellness.  Does anybody have first hand knowledge of the medication that is given to patients who are only suffering mildly from Covid 19 ? I don't mean the quack cures put forward by ex presidents or those with a dream but actual 1st hand knowledge of the prescribed medicines ?

At the moment, for patients who does not need oxygen, the NIH does not recommend dexamethasone. Remdesivir can be used if the patient is at high risk to progress in the disease. Everything worse than that requires, with various degrees of priority, dexamethasone, remdesivir and monoclonal antibodies.

4 minutes ago, uanmak said:

At the moment, for patients who does not need oxygen, the NIH does not recommend dexamethasone. Remdesivir can be used if the patient is at high risk to progress in the disease. Everything worse than that requires, with various degrees of priority, dexamethasone, remdesivir and monoclonal antibodies.

That's interesting but I was asking what was given to people with only mild symptoms . From your reply am I correct in assuming you were discussing, other than high risk, more serious patients ?

You have then to clarify what you mean for mild. I reported the treatment for people hospitalized (in the UK) who does not require oxygen (which is as similar as having mild symptoms... once you need oxygen, the infection is not so mild anymore...)

Edited by uanmak

Just now, uanmak said:

You have then to clarify what you mean for mild. I reported the treatment for people hospitalized (in the UK) who does not require oxygen (which is as similar as having mild symptoms... once you need oxygen, the infection is not so mild anymore...)

Well my definition of mild would be those that are tested as positive and perhaps are only suffering from cough, runny nose. Much like a cold of mild flu symptoms so hence do not require hospitalisation.  Maybe they don't need any medication other then say paracetamol and cough mixture - I don't know hence my question.

12 hours ago, uanmak said:

In that case you are correct, just treat as cold.

Many thanks for that and perhaps if that advice was published very widely here in Thailand it may encourage people to actually get tested if and when testing facilities become available to them assuming the government of course accept that mild symptoms are best treated at home also.  Because currently there is an underlying fear that having covid can be life threatening whereas I suspect by far the largest majority only suffer mild symptoms.

I don't know for Thailand, but I think this kind of advice is quite common even for flu (if it itoo serious, antivirals, otherwise just the classic palliative care is enough), and based mostly on good sense.

Perhaps there is too much hype on the disease itself, especially from non-experts increasing the noise by pretending to have evidences down to the intimate biochemistry of the infection without having the minimal background to understand that. Advices on very mild disease are simply left out of the main discussion.

There is another very important aspect to stress, along with self-isolation. Being this a viral infection, antibiotics are useless and must be exclusively used whether a bacterial infection is overlapping the viral one. It may be also a (justifiable) prudence by medical workers to avoid people abusing on these drugs, contributing to the development of bacterial drug-resistance, that makes such advices less evident.

IMHO during this special situation, it is always better to discuss with a (reliable) doctor before starting to treat oneself, even if symptoms are mild.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, gummy said:

Do you mean here in Thailand, in the UK, the USA, or where?

On 7/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, gummy said:

Many thanks for that and perhaps if that advice was published very widely here in Thailand it may encourage people to actually get tested if and when testing facilities become available to them assuming the government of course accept that mild symptoms are best treated at home also. 

Why on earth would telling people that there is little or no approved treatment available encourage people to get tested?

On 7/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, gummy said:

Because currently there is an underlying fear that having covid can be life threatening whereas I suspect by far the largest majority only suffer mild symptoms.

Of course there's "an underlying fear that having covid can be life threatening" - that doesn't mean that everyone catching it dies, though!

... and of course the vast majority only suffer mild symptoms - anyone who can read can see that just by reading the number of fatalities / the number on ventilators / the number in ICU or CCU / the number hospitalised / the number of cases.

GAFM .....

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BainaiThai said:

I think this is what you were looking for Gummy....Fauci/FDA USD....just officially approved...Some of the private hospitals in Thailand may have access to it

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2021/jan/what-is-monoclonal-antibody-therapy-and-who-is-eligible-to-receive-it/

The stuff is expensive though. Like US$2K/treatment plus administration costs which are probably that high again. This is the stuff that saved Trump's life back when he got the COVID. Makes mRNA tech look like homebrew. The COVID monoclonals are made from a chimeric combination of mouse and human proteins.

• Like 1