News Forum - Dating apps won’t help you find love and here’s why

Thaiger

For most of human history, relationships were relatively simple for a banal yet immovable reason: it was extremely hard to meet anyone acceptable – and everyone knew it. Dating apps won’t help you if there are only a few people in the village if travel is expensive and when social occasions are few and far …

The story Dating apps won’t help you find love and here’s why as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'm afraid that this report is rather outdated  and wrong.   According to Google,  dating apps account for up to 19% of hook ups, sometimes higher in some age groups. I'm surprised it isn't higher.   Dating apps are a modern and convenient way to meet people of interest and increase the odds of finding a long term partner, especially in Thailand. In my day it was pubs and clubs, but if you were not a pub/club person, you were hard pushed to find anyone to hook up with, ever.  The internet and social media have changed all that, especially for minorities  (such as the disabled), the LGBTQ section of society, the shy and  terminally awkward and, for example, the poorer sections of Thai society. It also removes to some extent, the concern, and even fear, of young men nowadays in even approaching a woman for a date, without being accused of harassment, or of  assigning him, her, them, those, they, it,  of wrong gender assignment.  I'm glad i am out of that game, but if I wasn't, dating apps would be the way I would go. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I'm afraid that this report is rather outdated  and wrong.   According to Google,  dating apps account for up to 19% of hook ups, sometimes higher in some age groups. I'm surprised it isn't higher.   Dating apps are a modern and convenient way to meet people of interest and increase the odds of finding a long term partner, especially in Thailand. In my day it was pubs and clubs, but if you were not a pub/club person, you were hard pushed to find anyone to hook up with, ever.  The internet and social media have changed all that, especially for minorities  (such as the disabled), the LGBTQ section of society, the shy and  terminally awkward and, for example, the poorer sections of Thai society. It also removes to some extent, the concern, and even fear, of young men nowadays in even approaching a woman for a date, without being accused of harassment, or of  assigning him, her, them, those, they, it,  of wrong gender assignment.  I'm glad i am out of that game, but if I wasn't, dating apps would be the way I would go. 

You're quite spot on. I also recall reading somewhere that Thailand had the highest amount of Facebook users relative to population, which suggests that Thais make an extensive use of social media.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roberti said:

You're quite spot on. I also recall reading somewhere that Thailand had the highest amount of Facebook users relative to population, which suggests that Thais make an extensive use of social media.

Yes it’s working …. The Thais are finding love according to the Thaiger

News Forum - Victims of romance scams ‘at their wits end’

• Haha 1

When talking about dating apps and Thai girls there are few facts that we have to agree. Nearly 90% of those Thai girls who are hooking up to dating applications looking for partner are living in their fantasy world. They always imagine their bed time story of Cinderella, Snow white etc....looking for some white prince to come in white horse with tons of white gold and dropping to the knees asking for their hands. However the men who look for Thai girls in dating applications are looking for someone to live in a realistic world doing the house chores. For Thai girls love means "Money" and they expect the man to pull the entire coach of the family. However for foreign men it is the care and affection and understanding for a good living. Money is secondary. And they don't want their life to be messed up by outsiders. Further most Thai girls wanted everything to their favour and benefit leaving the man in a limbo always. That is the reason many are still single searching again and again realizing that they cannot settle in their life. By the time the reach the declining age, they are out of the market as they cannot compete with the new entrance who have an upper hand over the older ones. That is the reality with dating applications. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

When talking about dating apps and Thai girls there are few facts that we have to agree. Nearly 90% of those Thai girls who are hooking up to dating applications looking for partner are living in their fantasy world. They always imagine their bed time story of Cinderella, Snow white etc....looking for some white prince to come in white horse with tons of white gold and dropping to the knees asking for their hands. However the men who look for Thai girls in dating applications are looking for someone to live in a realistic world doing the house chores. For Thai girls love means "Money" and they expect the man to pull the entire coach of the family. However for foreign men it is the care and affection and understanding for a good living. Money is secondary. And they don't want their life to be messed up by outsiders. Further most Thai girls wanted everything to their favour and benefit leaving the man in a limbo always. That is the reason many are still single searching again and again realizing that they cannot settle in their life. By the time the reach the declining age, they are out of the market as they cannot compete with the new entrance who have an upper hand over the older ones. That is the reality with dating applications. 

Thanks for sharing your opinions there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

There speaks a cynical, biased, privileged westerner looking at the subject with his/her/their  Western head on.  Still, you are entitled to your views and your comments.

• Like 1

For the majority of users, dating apps are an obvious scam. When they are used to find a more long term "real" romantic partner. The "top tier" of attractive people will find each other. They would have found someone even without the app. 8:s, 9:s and 10:s have no trouble. The people below this tier hope endlessly to be accepted by someone from an upper tier. 6:s want 7:s-10:s. 4:s will only accept 5:s and up. And so on. This group is where the money is. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Every guy I know that was divorced in the US, went right to the apps and did very well

• Like 1

All these Thai sites like Thai Friendly etc are 95% scammers. You aren’t going to meet your match on those sites. You need to come here and meet in person. Anyone requesting money on these sites before you’ve met are scammers in every case. A decent woman here who is wife material won’t do that. Even if some aren’t pro scammers so many of these women have debt they are looking to get out from under and will want you to pay it. If they give you sob stories even without directly asking you for money you are being manipulated. If they hesitate at wanting to meet you are being scammed. If there are only certain times you can call you are being scammed. If she writes good English with any kind of sexy slang she’s a scammer and probably not even a woman. Just come here. Great girls are everywhere who want to meet you! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1