News Forum - Australia and New Zealand best places to survive nuclear apocalypse

Thaiger

As Valentine’s Day casts its mushroom-cloud shadow over ambivalent or forgetful lovers everywhere, it’s heartening to know where the best places to survive a nuclear apocalypse really are. A recent study by the University of Otago, Wellington, reaches the same conclusion as every other such survey in living memory. ‘Continuing’ civilisation It’s probably best not …

The story Australia and New Zealand best places to survive nuclear apocalypse as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I think I’d prefer to be at Ground Zero in the event of a nuclear apocalypse. Hiding away in Australia or New Zealand with the rest of the world in a nuclear winter doesn’t sound like much fun to me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its resilience in the event of an abrupt drop in global temperature prompted by a period of darkness (everywhere in New Zealand is relatively close to the ocean, cushioning it from extreme temperature plunges) also helps.

Even with a 60% reduction in crops during a prolonged nuclear winter, New Zealanders would have enough to eat, but the Kiwis are dependent on imports of diesel, pesticides and machinery needed for agriculture.

Notwithstanding a devastating cyclone atop 2 recent flood events and regular earthquakes, NZ is perhaps a good bolt-hole ... meanwhile, I'll take my chances in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That assumes that the radioactive fallout doesn't get them - Neville Shutes deeply flawed but still moving On The Beach, or a New Zealand terrorised by marauding herds of mutant killer sheep. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

or a New Zealand terrorised by marauding herds of mutant killer sheep

More like 'terrorised by marauding bikie gangs full of methamphetamine'

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Notwithstanding a devastating cyclone atop 2 recent flood events and regular earthquakes, NZ is perhaps a good bolt-hole ... meanwhile, I'll take my chances in Thailand.

But …. NZ have made a movie highlighting their limited survival …..

The Quiet Earth is a 1985 New Zealand post-apocalypticscience fiction film directed by Geoff Murphy and starring Bruno Lawrence, Alison Routledge and Peter Smith as three survivors of a cataclysmic disaster.

• Cool 1

Why would you want to survive?

Your new life would be a total nightmare of survival.

No electricity.

95% of the population cannot exist without their phones. (My wife in particular)😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, palooka said:

Why would you want to survive?

Your new life would be a total nightmare of survival.

No electricity.

95% of the population cannot exist without their phones. (My wife in particular)😂

Its obvious. As a survivor I would rise to my rightful place as "Glorious majestic General Admiral of all human race in the Universe".

Electricity would be provided by Marble Eye to riding a bicycle 24 hours a day connected to a dynamo. 

Entertainment would be provided by the Mods on here having to stand on one leg and bark like a dog.

The long winter nights will simply fly by in our utopian world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1