News Forum - RTP unveils strict checkpoint measures, officers must wear bodycam at all times

Thaiger

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) has tightened checkpoint regulations in a bid to stamp out cop corruption amid the Taiwanese actress scandal. RTP officers have been ordered to be courteous and professional and to wear body cameras while working at checkpoints in the future. The Commissioner of the RTP, Damrongsak Kittipraphat, held an online conference …

The story RTP unveils strict checkpoint measures, officers must wear bodycam at all times as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

RTP officers have been ordered to be courteous and professional and to wear body cameras while working at checkpoints in the future.

Next week's news:
When accused by a tourist of corruption and unprofessional conduct, the RTP said they had examined bodycam evidence, but unfortunately nothing was recorded as the bodycam was:
faulty/not switched on/battery hadn't been charged/video footage had been erased in error [delete inapplicable items].

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Having been involved in the roll-out of body cams for one of the UK police forces, I would say that the chances of the RTP actually successfuly using them is probably close to zero. The whole setup is far from rocket science,  but it does need several different elements to meet in the middle - not a Thai speciality.

• Like 7

Carrying your original passport around while in Thailand is crazy. I’ve always been told that a clear copy of both the main page and the latest visa standing should be sufficient. I wonder if a picture of both on your cell phone is also sufficient ?

• Like 5

Together they are all steps in the right direction even if one alone is not sufficient. plus a tone from the top against corruption. You have to start from somewhere. It would also be helpful if politicians clarified or repealed ridiculous laws like the supposed vape ban and bar opening hours among others. But baby steps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BJoe said:

Carrying your original passport around while in Thailand is crazy. I’ve always been told that a clear copy of both the main page and the latest visa standing should be sufficient. I wonder if a picture of both on your cell phone is also sufficient ?

I remember about 3 or 4 years ago, the-then head of immigration said he understood that most long-term foreigners had reservations about carrying their passport with them. He said that a copy would be normally be acceptable in most cases.
Whether that's changed more recently I don't know.
I've carried a copy for years, and never even thought about taking my passport with me when we've gone away for a few days. My wife books the hotel in her name.

15 hours ago, Thaiger said:

RTP officers have been ordered to be courteous and professional and to wear body cameras while working at checkpoints in the future.

Just like Thais follow the …. Motorcycle Helmet compulsory to wear law, as teaching old dogs new tricks may be difficult.

I’m sure all RTP officers are always courteous and professional when asking people for a bribe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What's that Tom Cruise line again?  "Show Me the Money!" 🤑

Presume the Commissioner's order for body cams is with immediate effect, so there must be a line item in the current fiscal year budget, or he's got discretionary funds to outfit 2 complete sections of on-duty police all across the Kingdom, at the same time, + ready spares on the shelf for incidental damage, loss and technical faults.

Given our general knowledge of rank & file patrol cops salaries, and that they already have to pay for (most) of their kit, suspect the Commissioner's order is a feel good non-starter set to die in the media churn cycle, until the next time.

• Like 2

This isn’t going to happen for a whole host of reasons. The problem is that the police can put out this statement and it makes them look like they are doing their job. There’s no independent media who can report on progress. No independent audit office who can show how progress is being made. What you will see is police wearing them in a few high profile places and wearing them for a few staged photo shoots. If they are wearing them when they get down to their day job of making money, they will be turned off, go faulty or get accidentally wiped. 

Best thing you can do is have a dash cam or similar fitted to your car or bike and if stopped by police turn on the video on your phone. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This isn’t going to happen for a whole host of reasons. The problem is that the police can put out this statement and it makes them look like they are doing their job. There’s no independent media who can report on progress. No independent audit office who can show how progress is being made. What you will see is police wearing them in a few high profile places and wearing them for a few staged photo shoots. If they are wearing them when they get down to their day job of making money, they will be turned off, go faulty or get accidentally wiped. 

Best thing you can do is have a dash cam or similar fitted to your car or bike and if stopped by police turn on the video on your phone. 

As well as having a dashcam, I have a sign in Thai saying that all video and audio from the dashcam is continuously uploaded to the net.
It's not true, but the police don't know that. Plus if my wife had an accident caused by someone else and they tried to take the dashcam from her car, there's that sign...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

As well as having a dashcam, I have a sign in Thai saying that all video and audio from the dashcam is continuously uploaded to the net.
It's not true, but the police don't know that. Plus if my wife had an accident caused by someone else and they tried to take the dashcam from her car, there's that sign...

That’s a great idea. If nothing else it makes them think twice.

Stalling and making them think often helps. A mate of mine was stopped by police on the Mittraphap road outside of Udon. Alleged speeding as he was in the outside lane!  The police did the usual ask for money and he started using sign language 😂.  Next thing was the copper walked away and he drove off. Imagine that back home. They’d have whistled up a person who could sign 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

That’s a great idea. If nothing else it makes them think twice.

Stalling and making them think often helps. A mate of mine was stopped by police on the Mittraphap road outside of Udon. Alleged speeding as he was in the outside lane!  The police did the usual ask for money and he started using sign language 😂.  Next thing was the copper walked away and he drove off. Imagine that back home. They’d have whistled up a person who could sign 😂😂

My wife and I were in Mexico, had a 8am flight home but were 2 hours away from airport

So got on road about 4am

We got stopped in a checkpoint by 2 Mexican cops, who clearly wanted money

But they couldn't speak a word of English, not one

So I just kept saying "English", "English"

And then just slowly drove away 5555

You think they would learn a few words if they pulling over tourists for money!  :)

• Like 1