Phuket Sandbox woes: 2 foreign Covid-19 cases, Delta variant

Thaiger

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

You make a fair point about the comparison of Phuket and the UK. But my point is that regardless of all the other factors you list, it seems that the Phuket Provincial gov, is determined to screen everyone that enters the island Based on the news story which gave rise to this thread, it appears to be working because they detected two Farangs who entered by land yesterday. Not sure how much damage they will have done, but it appears that they were isolated within 24 hours. 

17 months on and the UK has nothing like that. 

Regarding your return to the UK, I had a similar experience on my return from TH last year a few weeks prior to yours. I was able to clear border controls at T3, and walk across to T2 without any hindrance. This was at a time when there were very few flights arriving and it was possible to screen if they were of a mind to with limited disruption. Again, at T2, no pre-flight checks. 

Anyway, it's been an interesting convo. We are unlikely to agree but I thank you anyway.

A civil discussion and a civil end,well done gents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Not true. This has been confirmed and even Boris Johnston himself somewhat reluctantly confirmed this was the case. The strategy at the start was to assume lower infections leading to hospitalisation and allow herd immunity to take place. A fact. Oh hold on, where’s my formatting keys…… NO, A FACT

Do you research on Google

Absolutely, 100%  true and you've just confirmed it.

Citing "Boris Johnson himself" as your primary confirmation of anything as a "fact" shows just how factual your "facts" are.

Do you research on Google - you should find them listed under porkies.

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Bit of an Anti Brit post that JohninDublin. Who was the first to produce a vaccine ? who was the 1st to get it an an Arm ? who was the first to inoculate nearly its entire population ?. One of Britain's worst Pandemic first noted in 13th century a second wave killed millions from 1665 spread from parish to parish from infected rats and Fleas that carried the Bacillus virus. It was not brought from Ships bringing cargo in from Europe. It was finally discovered that Skin lice was the main culprit in the late 1800's. 

Please don't start on the premise that I am anti-brit because I live in DUB. I am a dual national who spent the first 55 years of my life in the UK. I was born in Hackney. I will be screaming for England tonight, and I am culturally very British. I wind up the locals by asking them, "Have you heard"? When they ask "Heard what"? I give them a chorus of, "It's coming home"!. Fortunately, they take it in good stead, and maybe tomorrow I will have to go into hiding. I think I am a perfect example of what Norman Tebbit called, "The cricket test". If you are not familiar with the concept see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_test

Regarding the rest of your post, there have been five major plagues in England by 1665. As for the lice theory, whether that is correct or not, they would have been brought in by foreign travel. Not looking to be snarky, but they certainly didn't swim the channel . 

Regarding the vax, I have never been critical of roll-out.  I would add that I think AZ deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for their commitment to deliver it at cost price. There may be better vaccines who deserve the Medicine prize, but AZ deserve the PP for altruism.

BTW: Sputnik vax was launched on Dec 5th. AZ, Dec 30th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_V_COVID-19_vaccine

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-authorised-in-uk.html

Edited by JohninDubin
Missed content by poster

33 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Boris Johnston is a politician working within a democracy. His only way to survive is to appeal to the majority of the people most of the time in order to get re-elected. Principles and logic are for the opposition parties. Fortunately for the U.K. Boris can’t hold on to power with the help of the Army. I don’t know many politicians who remained in power by being unpopular with the voting majority. 

Again agreed with you, but the problem remains that Bojo shoots from the lip, and wherever, will tell people what they want to hear At the same time getting his alibis by telling people "We rely on the science" while omitting to add his tendency to ignore the scientists who contradict what he wants to hear. If it goes wrong blame all the scientists including those who oppose the decision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Absolutely, 100%  true and you've just confirmed it.

Citing "Boris Johnson himself" as your primary confirmation of anything as a "fact" shows just how factual your "facts" are.

Do you research on Google - you should find them listed under porkies.

Open wide Stonker. You would have to be 7 to think it was anything else. I’ll help you for the last time. Not sure if I can add multiple links but I’ll try:

Anyone who thinks this wasn’t official U.K. policy in the early days is just wrong. Fact - Sorry FACT   Lots more but run along and don’t be lazy  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/38a81588-6508-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/the-governments-herd-immunity-plan-is-callous-and-dangerous

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/03/the-uk-backed-off-on-herd-immunity-to-beat-covid-19-well-ultimately/amp

• Like 1

Just now, JohninDubin said:

Again agreed with you, but the problem remains that Bojo shoots from the lip, and wherever, will tell people what they want to hear At the same time getting his alibis by telling people "We rely on the science" while omitting to add his tendency to ignore the scientists who contradict what he wants to hear. If it goes wrong blame all the scientists including those who oppose the decision.

I totally agree. Boris Johnston is incapable of delivering bad news. He thought he was going to be a PM who would build HS2. A new airport in the Thames and a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. In my opinion the handling of this pandemic was naive and ultimately wrong. It’s killed 130,000 people of which possibly 100,000 died prematurely and damaged the economy. I’d be surprised if he’s still PM at the next election? Maybe but wouldn’t be surprised if he cleared off with his new wife and family for an easier life making lots more money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I totally agree. Boris Johnston is incapable of delivering bad news. He thought he was going to be a PM who would build HS2. A new airport in the Thames and a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. In my opinion the handling of this pandemic was naive and ultimately wrong. It’s killed 130,000 people of which possibly 100,000 died prematurely and damaged the economy. I’d be surprised if he’s still PM at the next election? Maybe but wouldn’t be surprised if he cleared off with his new wife and family for an easier life making lots more money. 

Hahaha. We are definitely on the same page as far as this concerned

• Cool 1

13 minutes ago, TiT said:

Taking bets on how long the sandbox is going to remain open...

Next week, I guess (according to their 90 cases per week) but maybe followed by another flop idea from the the TAT.

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Next week, I guess (according to their 90 cases per week) but maybe followed by another flop idea from the the TAT.

Wonder what the point of having an arbitrary and meaningless target of 90 is, when they already locked down the schools with far fewer local infections than that.  It's all made up rubbish from a bunch of clowns.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Stardust said:

10 new cases yesterday and two today which has been more typical of recent weeks. 

So was the 10 a blip, or a sign of things to come?

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

One of the things that surprises me most about this pandemic, is the people who want the government in the U.K. and other liberal democracies to have introduced hard lockdowns. Total restriction of movement. Forced closures of business. People not allowed out of their homes or meet family etc etc. The rest of the time, they criticise the same governments for wanting ID cards, surveillance cameras and controlling people’s right to march wherever they want. They want liberal democracies enshrined in law. And then want those same laws ripped up and dictatorship installed overnight when things get tough. Who would want to be a politician? 

This is what I call the Death Penalty Paradox. A survey today might show that say 60% are in favour of the DP, but surveys at the time of the Ruth Ellis execution, 70% were opposed. The rate goes up and down all the time depending on the crime, or if a case can show that they hung the wrong man. That's the problem with laws. One size never fits all.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, English said:

After struggling to get all the documentation sorted to come to the Sandbox, I finally got my CofE approved. But now I am having second thoughts. Forcing you to quarantine and pay for an ALQ hotel for 14 days even when testing negative. This is the whole point of the vaccine. It drastically lowers your chance of catching COVID. So even if you are in the same vicinity as someone with COVID, you probably won’t catch it !! It would make more sense and be much fairer to stay in your original hotel for two or three days maximum, and then take a further test to be sure. Thai officials are treating fully vaccinated tourists as if they weren’t vaccinated at all! What was the point of only allowing vaccinated tourists in if they are going to treat us in this way without a need to! I’m due to fly direct from London with Thai Airways, who emailed me today to say because of COVID restrictions there will be no in flight entertainment. Come on, really !! Why not just say that the airline is skint and cannot afford the entertainment licence. I will continue to watch the sandbox this week before I commit. 

Reminds me of a carrot on a string--bait n switch--luring folks into a trap--as soon as you walk thru the trap door it locks behind you and you are stuck in there for 14 days --allowing the "hunter" to do as he wishes and force you to submit..I mean what are ones options once landing on "The Rock", which no one ever escapes!

At least if I did the BKK ASQ is kinda what ive been used to back home..sitting around in my studio apt, watching tv..online, eating, shower etc....so Im used to "lockdown" and could prob have a nicer room all prepaid without worry about the sandbox...then released into the country, not stuck on some island...

Ive lived long enough in LOS to trust but verify...this felt like a money grab as soon as it went from 7 to 14...and I tell tourists its Thai for Thai here, you are NOT thai...and will never win this on their home turf....

3 hours ago, TiT said:

Taking bets on how long the sandbox is going to remain open...

Bets or how long kickbacks will go on?

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

Open wide Stonker. You would have to be 7 to think it was anything else. I’ll help you for the last time. Not sure if I can add multiple links but I’ll try:

Anyone who thinks this wasn’t official U.K. policy in the early days is just wrong. Fact - Sorry FACT   Lots more but run along and don’t be lazy  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/38a81588-6508-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/the-governments-herd-immunity-plan-is-callous-and-dangerous

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/03/the-uk-backed-off-on-herd-immunity-to-beat-covid-19-well-ultimately/amp

I thought that although BoJo is popular, as a clown is, very few people were stupid enough to actually believe anything he said.

Citing him to support your naive opinion as fact, you appear to be one of them.

Your links:

1.   Unavailable as I don't subscribe to the FT.

2.   The Guardian headline to the article is "Readers respond to Boris Johnson's apparent strategy to tackle the Covid-19 outbreak".  "APPARENT"!  "APPARENT"  IS NOT  FACT!

It's the letters page, for God's sake, but even they don't claim it as "fact" with the first starting "it seems as though the government has decided ...".  "SEEMSIS NOT FACT!

3.  The Nat Geo article is listed as an "Op-Ed" so it's the author's OPINION.  OPINION IS NOT FACT!

Your links confirm that this is opinion not fact -  the polar opposite to what you claim they said.  I'm hardly surprised.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I thought that although BoJo is popular, as a clown is, very few people were stupid enough to actually believe anything he said.

Citing him to support your naive opinion as fact, you appear to be one of them.

Your links:

1.   Unavailable as I don't subscribe to the FT.

2.   The Guardian headline to the article is "Readers respond to Boris Johnson's apparent strategy to tackle the Covid-19 outbreak".  "APPARENT"!  "APPARENT"  IS NOT  FACT!

It's the letters page, for God's sake, but even they don't claim it as "fact" with the first starting "it seems as though the government has decided ...".  "SEEMSIS NOT FACT!

3.  The Nat Geo article is listed as an "Op-Ed" so it's the author's OPINION.  OPINION IS NOT FACT!

Your links confirm that this is opinion not fact -  the polar opposite to what you claim they said.  I'm hardly surprised.

So funny. 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

So funny. 

I find it rather sad.

You lie about your "facts", then you post links confirming that you've lied.  We must have a very different sense of humour.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

I find it rather sad.

You lie about your "facts", then you post links confirming that you've lied.  We must have a very different sense of humour.

No Stonker. I quote facts in as far as any political fact can be verified. I then publish links with a string evidienace to support that. Sorry if you don’t subscribe to the FT (neither do I but could open the link) or believe people who were on the inside of the Number 10 machinery therefore know more than you.  The funny part is that you are so blindly carrying on with your same negative narrative. You offer no new or alternative opinions or facts or ideas. You spend most of your time in this forum dissecting the reasonably minded viewpoints of others. That’s also the funny part about you. Basically you are a funny guy in the sense of being odd and peculiar.  

Why don’t we do each other a favour. I won’t read your posts (can’t call them views or opinions) and you don’t read mine. You are a negative force on this forum and post purely for self serving reasons to try to prove you are right all the time. That is both sad and funny. 

Now please go away and try to prove yourself right to someone who cares. 

• Cool 1

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No Stonker. I quote facts in as far as any political fact can be verified. I then publish links with a string evidienace to support that. Sorry if you don’t subscribe to the FT (neither do I but could open the link) or believe people who were on the inside of the Number 10 machinery therefore know more than you.  The funny part is that you are so blindly carrying on with your same negative narrative. You offer no new or alternative opinions or facts or ideas. You spend most of your time in this forum dissecting the reasonably minded viewpoints of others. That’s also the funny part about you. Basically you are a funny guy in the sense of being odd and peculiar.  

Why don’t we do each other a favour. I won’t read your posts (can’t call them views or opinions) and you don’t read mine. You are a negative force on this forum and post purely for self serving reasons to try to prove you are right all the time. That is both sad and funny. 

Now please go away and try to prove yourself right to someone who cares. 

Come on Stonker it's your turn.You owe it to all the people that are following this series.Or is this the tactic of always leaving the audience wanting more?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why don't we do each other a favour. I won’t read your posts (can’t call them views or opinions) and you don’t read mine.

You're obviously at liberty to do whatever you like and to hold whatever views you like, however wrong they're shown to be even by your own links.

I prefer not to ignore views I disagree with and to think that anyone who disagrees with me can't hold "reasonably minded viewpoints" and to resort to flaming them instead, but each to his own.

7 minutes ago, Tish said:

Come on Stonker it's your turn.You owe it to all the people that are following this series.Or is this the tactic of always leaving the audience wanting more?

Handbags at dawn!

• Haha 1

Throwing one more graphic too look at.

From personal experience, my good friend sister in law who just recovered from cancer was so happy about it, took Astra shoot in Switzerland, she can't walk now. Despite this she is so scared by media and that that she is mad and take 2nd shoot even family tells her don't do it, she won't listen cuz doctor told her it's not from jab and terrified husband says same thing that vaccines are safe and it's small chance of getting injured, tho they never did any research at all. They basically brain washed. What she says is like oh if I die then I die be it. Family gave up on trying to convince her not to take it. She's out of chemo week and all that jab messed her up, but fear of deadly invisible bug ? is huge. And that's apply to most ppl especially older ones, unhealthy etc ..