News Forum - Police stopped you? Here’s how to handle it

Thaiger

So the Thai police have stopped you and you are worried they might ask for some cash “off the books” to let you go. What do you do? Phuket Go recently put together some helpful advice for anyone in this delicate situation. If you find yourself in a situation where you are stopped by Thai …

The story Police stopped you? Here’s how to handle it as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As I read this article I found myself largely agreeing with it. Until I got to this part:

A minor offence like vaping, small amounts of drug possession, drunk driving, or speeding may come with negotiable fines. 

Drunk Driving is a “minor offence”. Really!! Try telling that to the thousand who have lost their loved ones due to drunk driving. I wouldn’t mind, but this is written by a westerner. Idiot! Unfathomable! 

• Like 4

I do not agree I got  a corrupt cop amd what can do a corrupt cop in reality...? Nothing he tried to rip me off with 5 other police man by his site and they looking to him what are you doing, when he saw my license was from Chonburi, he started sorry , sorry... bla bla after I said he could put the ticket in his ass as I have done nothing wrong at all, I heard later he was fired when 1 if the other 5 policeman stopped me 2 months later and he said I reme.ber you very well and smiled... some are bad but up on the north is pretty rare so far and they polite and nice a lot nicer then in chonburi where they have an attitude of being better then you, a corrupt cop is like a shit on the street I do not have to have respect for that

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Drunk Driving is a “minor offence”. Really!! Try telling that to the thousand who have lost their loved ones due to drunk driving. I wouldn’t mind, but this is written by a westerner. Idiot! Unfathomable! 

I fully agree with you, but unfortunately in the Thai logic drunk driving is indeed a very minor offense.  If I remember correctly, you need to be caught at least four times for drunk driving to lose your driving license based on the new point system which is just ridiculous

• Like 2

TIT, get the grey matter into 50+ years ago in a western country and you have something similar. 😃

Apologises to those that are too young to have lived a pre breathalyser existence.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MPK said:

I fully agree with you, but unfortunately in the Thai logic drunk driving is indeed a very minor offense.  If I remember correctly, you need to be caught at least four times for drunk driving to lose your driving license based on the new point system which is just ridiculous

Yes that’s correct, it is the Thai “logic”. My point however, is that this article was written by an American who should know better. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

So the Thai police have stopped you and you are worried they might ask for some cash “off the books” to let you go. What do you do?

If it's for speeding, the twice I've been caught I've always argued back (wife was in the passenger seat next to me).

The first time was for going perhaps 10km/hour over the speed limit.
We had a new pickup, and I said there was no way I'd be speeding as I didn't want to ruin the engine while I was running it in (even thought the pickup had done a few thousand km already). I insisted I wasn't speeding (even though I was), and the cop told me to go, as he could see he wasn't going to any cash from me.

The second time was in a car, I was flagged down and told I was doing 155km/hour (which I was true).
I feigned incredulity, saying there was no way the car was capable of that speed, especially with  three adults, two kids and luggage in there.
The cop checked over his radio, giving our car registration number. I heard the reply come back that, yes, it was 155km/hour. I told the cop I still couldn't believe it (but not saying they were wrong).
He said never mind, but told me to drive more slowly.

I never feel intimated by the police and perhaps I've just been lucky by arguing in Thai with them, I don't know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

The fact that there is an article stating that the tourist police or your consulate may recommend bribery as the best option says it all

But in reality it us

Not saying it's the proper thing to do

But in reality, the bribe you are paying is a lot less in terms of money and mostly in terms of a headache 

Many people have been caught drunk driving 

I no longer drive drunk but I will admit i used to

I never got caught but if I had, I would gladly pay the 20k baht than deal with a DUI headache 

Same with minor traffic violence 

Paying the cop on the spot is so much easier than paying the proper fine

Not saying we should promote this corruption before it leads to all sorts of bad outcomes 

Just that in reality, a huge % of people are gladly paying the bribe

58 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

The fact that there is an article stating that the tourist police or your consulate may recommend bribery as the best option says it all

Which Consulate recommends paying a bribe ?

On 2/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, Faz said:

Which Consulate recommends paying a bribe ?

My apologies the article did not state that any consulates recommend paying a bribe but it does state on at least two occasions;

'If advised by the Tourist Police or consular official, it may be best to pay an on-the-spot fine for minor offences.'

This implies that this advice from a consular official may be expected or has been given on previous occasions.

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

My apologies the article did not state that any consulates recommend paying a bribe but it does state on at least two occasions;

'If advised by the Tourist Police or consular official, it may be best to pay an on-the-spot fine for minor offences.'

This implies that this advice from a consular official may be expected or has been given on previous occasions.

But that is how minor offences are dealt with, no licence, no tax, speeding, using a mobile whilst driving - all minor offences punishable by an on the spot fine.
The alternative is to argue, possibly be taken to a police station, or even court.

I'm sure the Consulate is just forewarning visitors of the procedure in Thailand rather than in their home Country.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

But that is how minor offences are dealt with, no licence, no tax, speeding, using a mobile whilst driving - all minor offences punishable by an on the spot fine.
The alternative is to argue, possibly be taken to a police station, or even court.

I'm sure the Consulate is just forewarning visitors of the procedure in Thailand rather than in their home Country.

Yes I understand this but where does the money for these minor offences end up. In the public purse or someone's pocket.

It is a difficult one because I would be happy to resolve minor infractions without going to the station or court but this is a small example of the larger problem. If small issues are tolerated then the whole system just ramps up until bribery and corruption is entrenched into society.

I understand that this view makes me a hypocrite but you can have a either small win at the expense of everyone or pay up within a workable and transparent legal system.

1st time I was caught drink driving was on a Friday night near Silom. Was told I'd be going to the cells till court on Monday morning where I'd get an 8000 baht fine. 

Negotiated an on the spot payment of 4000. It was a no brainer to ensure I got home that night. 

And they let me drive home! 😂😂